Favorite lines

Discussion in 'Referee' started by threeputzzz, Jul 4, 2017.

1. threeputzzz

threeputzzz Member+

May 27, 2009
    Minnesota
    At the youth level matches I work I like to use humor to keep things enjoyable particularly before the match. When I check in players now my standard instruction is "when I mispronounce your name please say your number and take a step behind us".

Last week as an AR I heard a new one that I will definitely use. The coin flip dialog:
    "White, call it in the air."
    "Heads."
    "It is heads. Congratulations, you win the game. Blue, better luck next time".

What are your favorites?

uniqueconstraint and dadman repped this.
  2. akindc

akindc Member+

Jun 22, 2006
    Washington, DC
    I like the center line, followed closely by the touch line. Goal line is overrated.

SouthernYank, cinepro and Sport Billy repped this.
  3. fairplayforlife

fairplayforlife Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With regard to going too far away from the spot of the throw: "Don't be greedy, I won't be picky"

dadman and IASocFan repped this.
  4. voiceoflg

voiceoflg Member+

Dec 8, 2005
    For a rec or other non-league game, after checking that my ARs are ready, I'll say loudly "Keeper ready? Keeper ready? Spectators ready?" Usually the spectators will cheer.

SccrDon and dadman repped this.
  5. frankieboylampard

Mar 7, 2016
    USA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    As a fourth official when I have a clearly marked technical area " (Coaches first name) do you see this line right here I want you to treat this line as an electric fence "!

voiceoflg repped this.
  6. juneau-AK

juneau-AK Member

Apr 15, 2017
    #6 juneau-AK, Jul 4, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2017
    As much as I admire, and thoroughly enjoy, the contributions in both of the following thread -

https://www.bigsoccer.com/threads/the-things-we-hear-returns.2002027/
    https://www.bigsoccer.com/threads/favorite-lines.2064896/

it mystifies me to figure out how they are different? FIFA and IFAB, and the other agencies may not permit public accountability, however, I find BS (BigSoccer) has something that transcends them bureaucracy. Could someone, I mean, reader of these posts, set me on the path straight and narrow? Or is there no such thing, as it is in the opinion of the ...

7. threeputzzz

threeputzzz Member+

May 27, 2009
    Minnesota
    dadman and Law5 repped this.
  8. chwmy

chwmy Member+

Feb 27, 2010
    If a player thinks I got the direction wrong on a ball oob, I sometimes say "don't worry, it won't be the only time I'm wrong today."

9. Timbuck

Timbuck Member

Jul 31, 2012
    Alternatively "hopefully that's the worst mistake I make today."

10. Ickshter

Ickshter Member+

Manchester City
    Mar 14, 2014
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Usually about the 3rd week into the HS season. My opening spiel goes along the lines of "WIAA states that I talk about sportsmanship. So there, I just did. Visiting team this is heads, this is tails...." Usually get a good chuckle because they don't want to hear it every game either...

11. Rufusabc

Rufusabc Member+

May 27, 2004
    And, no. Give the speech. It allows you to toss the coach, bench personnel, or a player much quicker. And, in my part of the state, we gather the entire teams and coaching staffs to hear it. I'm sorry if you don't like to read it, but are there any other rules you would also like to ignore?

12. GoDawgsGo

GoDawgsGo Member+

Nov 11, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's not a rule that has anything to do with soccer but an administrative request by the governing body. Let's not get the two confused. And for the love of humanity, giving that entire speech is just dumb.

"Coaches, players legally and properly equipped?"
    "Yes."
    "Thanks"

"Captains, sportsmanship is important. Heads or tails?"
    "Tails."
    "Ball or side?"
    "Kick off that way, good luck."

If you take longer than 15 seconds to do a coin toss, even with the bs HS spiel, you're just not doing it right. They don't care what you say and they aren't listening to you.

13. uws22

uws22 Member

Celtic
    Sep 8, 2012
    Wisconsin
    Club:
    Celtic FC

Except there is no actual speech for us to read or memorize, only that we are to "discuss sportsmanship" at the coin toss with coaches and captains (there is one for the PA system, however).
    My line for this is "Sportsmanship - Captains, you're here for a reason, you know what's expected of you and your teammates."

14. HoustonRef

HoustonRef Member

May 23, 2009
    I always said "I expect good sportsmanship." What more is there to say? "Do this, don't do that. Blah, blah, blah." Yeah, they listen real intently to all of that.

15. Kit

Kit Member+

Aug 30, 1999
    Herkimer, NY, USA
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The NFHS rules only say that you have to have a pregame meeting with the captains and coaches to discuss sportsmanship and conduct the coin toss. In my experience, the shorter the speech the better. If you go longer than 15 seconds or so, you start sounding like Charlie Brown's teacher to them. Several years ago, my partner in a dual system decided to give the sportsmanship talk and he went on for 10 minutes describing every possible situation for sportsmanship that he could think of. I got bored with what he was saying, and my mind started to wander!

Here in New York, we are given a "sportsmanship card" to read to the captains before every game. It is the same card for every high school sports so it is so generic that it means nothing. If I am the one to give the speech, I usually hand the card to the home team captain and have him read it to all the captains present. Then I say something like, "That means we have to enforce sportsmanship today. Let your teams know that. This is heads ..."

16. Ickshter

Ickshter Member+

Manchester City
    Mar 14, 2014
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nope sorry. I am NOT ignoring the rule. WIAA states that we remind them of sportsmanship, what I say COVERS that (as others have stated) I keep the head coach there at the beginning when I ask them if their players will be legally and properly equipped at game time. Then I say if they wish they can go rejoin their team for last minute coaching or they can stay. THAT is what my rule following consists of. There is no rule in NHFS that states I cannot toss a coach if I hadn't gone through some predetermined speech ahead of time. Relax Francis...

17. Geko

Geko Member

Sacremento Geckos
    United States
    May 25, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed, it's probably good to cover what your state wants you to cover. Other than that, any "lecturing" can usually only get you into trouble. If you say "I don't want to see any elbowing today" then the first moment a player sees something they think is an elbow and you didn't call... you're losing credibility with them, even if it's legitimately not a foul. There's a reason why lawyers always say you can't get in trouble for what you don't say :)

18. IASocFan

IASocFan Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2000
    IOWA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I address sportsmanship with as few words as possible. They aren't listening for more than 15 sec. I get a check mark for covering sportsmanship in the online game reports and the administrators are happy.

19. Law5

Law5 Member+

Mar 24, 2005
    Beaverton OR
    I thought Washington played by IFAB rules anyway? Nothing in IFAB Laws of the Game about telling the captains to be sporting.

We teach the USSF Intermediate Course to grade 7 wannabe's and also high school varsity officials. One time, the SDI and I were team teaching it in a distant part of the state. The topic of pre-game referee duties, of course, was being discussed and one student/referee, a guy with more than the standard level of self confidence, asserted that he always told the captains at the toss how he was going to call the game. The SDI suggested, very gently, because he truly is a gentleman, that might not be such a great idea. The referee disagreed, "Oh, no, they need to hear how I'm going to call it." A young lady was in the class, also a referee who had just graduated from high school and who was going to be playing for the local college in the fall. She turned around and said, 'When you guys talk like that, we're not listening." The referee sat down and was silent, at least for a few minutes. :)

20. Rufusabc

Rufusabc Member+

May 27, 2004
    Let me make myself clearer. We are REQUIRED to read a prepared statement at each game. It takes 20 seconds. It allows you to throw out somebody on the first instance if you choose. I use it as a tool. I don't care if they are listening or not. It gives me the right to throw them out. I threw out a baseball player this year for taunting when it was just me and the catcher who heard it. This is high school. Not travel.

21. IASocFan

IASocFan Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2000
    IOWA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In Iowa, we are required to address sportsmanship in boys varsity games. How we do it is our decision. We are given the sample speech, but I have heard no other officials read their sample. A few schools read the sample over the PA system, but that seems to happen less frequently.

22. sam_gordon

sam_gordon Member+

Feb 27, 2017
    So if you don't read it, you can't throw anyone out?

GoDawgsGo and wguynes repped this.
  23. uws22

uws22 Member

Celtic
    Sep 8, 2012
    Wisconsin
    Club:
    Celtic FC

WIAA for @Ickshter and myself is Wisconsin Interscholastic Athletic Association.

Ickshter repped this.
  24. uws22

uws22 Member

Celtic
    Sep 8, 2012
    Wisconsin
    Club:
    Celtic FC

Your state might require it, but other states don't have that emphasis. Each state has a much different experience than others when it comes to the NFHS variances. What works in your state doesn't fly in other places.

Examples:
    In Wisconsin, as stated before, we have no required statement to read, only that we bring up the idea of sportsmanship in some way, shape, or form during the pregame meeting.
    Wisconsin plays 45 minute halves (V only) in the regular season with no OT - a tie is a tie. Other states near us play all the way through KFTM because their state requires a winner of every game.
    Wisconsin requires 3 referees for varsity contests, some states require only 2, and some use 3 whistles.

So while reading the provided statement in your pregame works as a tool for you, it does nothing for me. I'm not ignoring sportsmanship, I use the line that works for me. Saying it or not doesn't give the coaches or players any more or less rope.

25. Law5

Law5 Member+

Mar 24, 2005
    Beaverton OR
    My bad. WIAA is also the initials of the Washington high school organization. Washington is the only state that does not use NFHS rules for soccer. Well, except that they modify IFAB to add back some NFHS aspects.