Favorite K-League players of all time

Discussion in 'Korean Domestic Leagues' started by kevinkim26, Jun 20, 2011.

1. kevinkim26

kevinkim26 Member

May 14, 2011
    New Yorker in Jeju, South Korea
    Club:
    Jeju United
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Just wanted to see where loyalties lie for the members in BSK. This should be interesting; tell us your favorite K-League player of all time, it could be a past superstar or contemporary. Feel free to list a few more players as runners-up. Mine:

Kim Eun-Jung (김은중)/ #18 FW, Jeju United FC

[​IMG]

Nationality: Republic of Korea
    Former clubs: Daejeon, FC Seoul, and two Chinese teams

A great striker and an even better person. My number two hero (number one being my father) in both football and life.

Runners-up: Server Djeparov (#88 MF, FC Seoul) and Dejan Damjanovic (#10 FW, FC Seoul)

2. killaorca

killaorca Member+

AFC Ajax
    May 11, 2010
    Pacific Ocean
    Club:
    RSC Anderlecht
    Lee Chun Soo.

I was in Korea when Ulsan won their second k league. He was a beast back then...

3. chosonjukku

chosonjukku Member

Dec 15, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    past foreigner: Nadson (Suwon Bluewings), used to be a beast in CM 03/04 for me

past Korean: Seo Jung-Won (Suwon Bluewings), great career marked with sad turn of events

current foreigner: Dejan (FC Seoul), although I hate FCS, i have to admit hes a great player for K-League. could see him excelling in Europe, but hope they hold onto the lad.

current Korean: tie between Yoo Byung-Soo and Kang Soo-Il

Yoo Byung-Soo completely blew me away in 2010, really hope to see him improve and get a chance in 2014WC

Kang Soo-Il isn't necessarily great but I do love underdogs. As a half black/Korean, im sure he dealt with much discrimination growing up. But he went up from reserves to first team and I'm really rooting for this guy. Hope to see him put on our natty shirt one day.

4. Corporation X

Corporation X Member+

Sep 9, 2009
    Suckmydickastan
    Don't watch much K-league but if the FIFA series are anything to go by he is a monster. Scored tons of goals for me at FC Seoul and I played JU this time around in '11 and there he goes again with goals of all kinds, right footed, left footed, with the head, and late winners to boot. Favorite player to play in K-league.

Always wondered why he wasn't good enough for the NT.

EDIT: There was a Thai from the early years who was supposed to be a goal scoring machine. Highlights anyone?

5. kevinkim26

kevinkim26 Member

May 14, 2011
    Club:
    Jeju United
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    He resigned from NT duty, he has a dysfunctional eye and he felt that this could be the downfall of the KNT if he continued to play internationally. He did what any selfless man who thinks about his team and teammates first would do; he retired from the NT. Kim Eun-Jung fans like my father were crestfallen, but understood his intentions.

He's a great man IMO, and a beast of a player even with his age and one dysfunctional eye.

6. Jitevra

Jitevra Member+

Apr 15, 2010
    Club:
    Ulsan Horang I
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Ah yes, heard alot about that Thai player. Name is Piyapong Pue-on who played for Lucky-Goldstar, now known as FC Seoul.
    Never saw him play but I heard he was extremely fast. Like really fast.
    Apparently, he was only bought for marketing reasons, because Lucky-Star wanted to expand their fanbase to overseas but in the end, turned into a star...
    The thing I find most interesting is that he scored fair few times against Korea whenever Thailand played.

7. kevinkim26

kevinkim26 Member

May 14, 2011
    Club:
    Jeju United
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Ouch, well, he was lucky Korea wasn't like Italy where if a foreign Serie A player scored goals against Italy in international games, the pissed off owner of his club will threaten that he will "never play in the leauge's country again". :D

8. kevinkim26

kevinkim26 Member

May 14, 2011
    Club:
    Jeju United
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Dejan is definitely European-league material. I wonder if he's ever considered... not that I wish it, because we need players like Dejan for K-League to be fun and interesting. I really hope FC Seoul management is doing everything they can to KEEP Dejan in Seoul and planning on not messing it up in the future.

Agree with you on Yoo Byung-Soo there, the guy was scoring hat-tricks left and right, pretty much knocking down his competitions, stat-wise. I was really hoping to see more goalfests from him this season, but so far, Kim Jung-Woo is taking the spotlight. =/

And being a Jeju United fan, I have the same expectation and respect for Kang Soo-Il, our super-sub Obertan. :cool:

9. ChaDuRi671

ChaDuRi671 Member+

Dec 30, 2010
    Club:
    FC Seoul
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic

LOL, Perugia was lucky to have a player like Ahn Jung Hwan. Even though it's old news it still get's me piss off sometimes. But now the team is bankrupt and plays in Serie C1.

Back to topic my favorite players of all time in the K-League is Dejan and Djeparov. These foreign players are like the backbone for FC Seoul. Dejan has a amazing ability striking the ball and Djeparov has nice ball control and accurate passes.

10. Corporation X

Corporation X Member+

Sep 9, 2009
    Suckmydickastan
    Anyone remember a fellow by the name of Sasa or Sasha from the nineties?
    Whenever the sports news was on while I was in Korea the highlight reels had this boy featured either scoring goals or setting someone up. Looked like a fan favorite but I don't remember what team he played for.

11. ChaDuRi671

ChaDuRi671 Member+

Dec 30, 2010
    Club:
    FC Seoul
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    He plays for Seongnam Ilhwa. Won the AFC Champions League last year with them.

12. Corporation X

Corporation X Member+

Sep 9, 2009
    Suckmydickastan
    Similar name but not talkin' about the Ogre. He was from the late nineties or early 2000's and played as a striker or midfielder. Big lad, blond hair.

13. ChaDuRi671

ChaDuRi671 Member+

Dec 30, 2010
    Club:
    FC Seoul
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Oh do you mean Sasa Drakulic? He played Busan Royals, Suwon Bluewings, and Seongnam Ilhwa. The second all time scorer in the K-League.

14. kevinkim26

kevinkim26 Member

May 14, 2011
    Club:
    Jeju United
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Definitely an iconic player for the K-League. He should really come back to Korea as manager or something, the guy was the Hiddink of Korea when it came to playing football. Except Hiddink wasn't involved in celebrity-style relationships and the media wasn't hounding him for who he was planning on dating next. :D

Oh, and CoreanBoy, I'm glad to see more Djeparov fans like you. He's very underrated in my opinion. The guy's a hell of a playmaker, especially when paired with Dejan. I was relieved to see him get a nice 3-year contract with FC Seoul, apparently, none of the Uzbekistani league clubs wanted to sign him after his loan spell, and that's totally their loss.