Favorite Crew Games/Fan Experiences

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by Hamburgler03, Oct 24, 2017.

1. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I forgot about that player. He wore a headband? Or headgear? Did he get concussions?

Unfortunately that is the state of my memory. If you want direct quotes from MLK’s Letter or Locke’s Second Treatise or Mankiw’s textbook on macroeconomics or some USSC case I have quoted and/or taught, then that is what I could start to rattle off.

I could give an improtu lecture on HIPAA (not to be confused with the incorrect spelling of HIPPA) for hours.

Ask me about a random game that I either watched or attended and I most likely remember very little factual information about it.

Robbo Crewfan repped this.
  2. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Scary part is that I think I saw his father play (on TV at least).... Guess I'm old.

3. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #28 Kryptonite, Oct 25, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2017

Those pool parties were all kinds of epic.

Another one that sticks out was the 2003(?) finale vs Chicago. It's about 20-35 of us in 137 and some HUGE goomba a few rows up front. Eventually, this guy takes his shirt off and there's the ugliest mole anyone has ever seen, including to this day. This was before staffers protected home supporters, so naturally this jerk was a F*re fan. He gets into a fight with @hangthadj and a few others before event staff realized what's going on and drag him away. We got his scarf, however.

I think this was also the game we had to win and get help the night before in order to make the playoffs. We didn't get the help. Chicago was winning something like 2-0 at the half. At halftime, they put in a guy named Curtis Spiteri at goal. We won 6-2 and the guy never played for them again.

Another one was when I found myself on the south bridge post game after a pre-season game vs DC. We had to win in order to have any hope at the playoffs. We ended up tying 0-0. Ray Hudson was their coach and a bunch of DC fans were there with me, just watching Ray give his thoughts on the game.

As a bonus, that night was "Cub Scout Sleepover Night." The scouts might have added to their vocabulary that night. I know @Bison1997 was there that night.

Let me just say that drinking alongside Ray Hudson is an absolutely glorious experience.

There was the time in 2001 or 2002 when Clint Mathis was celebrating a win right in front of 137. A bunch of beer bottles were tossed his way. He picked one up, drank from it...which encouraged more bottles to be tossed.

One thing that I miss about smaller groups is the ability to start up random impromptu chants. Everything now is a LOT more scripted than what it used to be. Of course, 2000 in the Nordecke is a lot better than 30 in 137, but it's a tradeoff I'll take any day. Anyway, we're playing Colorado on some random day (I think 5/13/2006)... The Colorado goalkeeper goes down hurt during the game and they have to put a sub in. The guy's name was Bouna Coundoul. His first name was on the back of his jersey, similar to Jonathan Mensa. Anyway, Colorado has a goal kick right in front of 137...which was taken by a field player. The "Bouna cannot get it up" chant was epic... but not as epic as this next one:

Back in the early years, we had a super-duty megaphone, similar to what we have now. Garth Lagerweigh was in goal. The "How much does a lager weigh?" made no sense, but just hearing it clear as day on the south bridge made for good conversation on down the road.

Robbo Crewfan, hangthadj and Ch(Elsey) repped this.
  4. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I remember seeing those parties from afar. As I recall, the cool kids were at those tailgates.

#NotACoolKid.

Draghignazzo repped this.
  5. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ah, but you are now!

6. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think I have a photo somewhere of a certain banner proclaiming love of muppets for certain behaviors. (I'd probably get reprimanded for posting it.)

The FO had a crash course in Urban Dictionary that Monday.

BTW... does anyone remember a certain bachelorette party? I opted for another location that night. Welp.

7. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I still have no idea what that means--and I'm not sure I want to know.....

8. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wish that I could be like the cool kids. Cause all the cool kids, they seem to get in.

9. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have lived by that quote I keep mentioning about the ebb and flow of soccer supporter fandom (I will find it yet!). I see it as hills and valleys. What caught me so off guard (and wounded me a bit) is that my husband and me were planning on next season starting on the next hill out of a valley. Now that the kids are getting out of the very young stage, we planned to go to more home games (eyeing 7 or 8+ games) and maybe even drive to an away game.

Our professional lives were looking to be on the upswing, which would allow us the freedom to do more for our supporter life.

I am distraught. The chaos of this universe can take a nice long walk off a very short pier.

Draghignazzo, zman31 and TKyle repped this.
  10. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As the saying goes...

Another memory:
    The 2005 US/Mexico game... I know a lot of people worked really hard on that one. Anyway, the night before party, Marcelo Balboa stopped by O'Shaugnessy's where he took up the offer of an I CB.

Somewhere... I have an autographed photo of that moment.

11. Hamburgler03

Hamburgler03 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 31, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There was this one time at a tailgate where @Kryptonite bummed a beer off of us. Oh wait, that was every tailgate. Ahhh the memories!

12. redi44crew

redi44crew Member+

Mar 27, 2007
    Louisville, KY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Can't recall the game, but remember the night when we honored Mike Clark. A 96 original, probably deserves Circle of Honor along with some others.

13. Sagz

Sagz Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Cbus
    Oh and to spice this up, My other favorite memory hasnt happened yet.....

Its watching this team in this town with my kids, and sharing a beer with them 15 years from now.

Draghignazzo and Robbo Crewfan repped this.
  14. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    I remember the muppet banner made the road trip to Soldier Field in 2004 when Buddle's free kick goal clinched the shield for us.

15. KHT_Crew

KHT_Crew Member+

Mar 29, 2003
    Queen City, OH
    That banner was hung in my section! (was not me)

16. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    Single home game. Took my brother and some friends to a game at the Shoe in an effort to spread the soccer gospel. Not the best game against the Revs until the Crew scored two late goals and the fans rushed the field. They all became fans of the sport but not the necessarily the Crew.

Away game was the trip to Chicago in the banana suit. Chicago fans and staff treated me well for that nonsense. Wish I could say the same for the Crew staff.

What I really liked about the early years were the tailgates. Crew fans sure are a friendly group and win, lose or draw I met a boatload of great people.

17. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I never understood the whole Muppet banner thing. One of those things where it seemed to be an inside joke.

Something about Duncan?

18. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

It only took you HOW long to bring that up?

You're slacking.

kgilbert78 repped this.
  19. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe Sirk tried to dig to the bottom of that and I think it was Duncan-related.

Speaking of banners:
    "CREW FANS TRAVEL..."
    You know the rest.

20. CrewV Man

CrewV Man Member+

Aug 18, 2011
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Game I will never forget.
    February 22, 2011 - CONCACAF Champions League vs Real Salt Lake
    My hate for RSL was at an all time high.
    It was about 32 degree at kick off. There was ice and snow on the field and it was hard as a rock. Using the power of the internet the attendance was 4,655. I think that was generous. You could hear conversations from across the stadium. Warzycha trotted out a B team. I think Cole Grossman or Iro was the captain.
    We sat next to some guys with booming voices. One of the guys kept on yelling to Will Johnson, "You suck Johnson!" This went on for the whole game. And finally Johnson was taking a throw in right in front of us. The guy yells "You suck Johnson!" And Johnson grabs the ball gives a face to the guy and does the middle finger behind the ball. At that point it was on.
    Everyone near us yelled "You suck Johnson every time he was was near the ball. He was getting pissed.
    The game ended 0-0 but that is when I saw how much we could rattle opposing players and also who the die hard fans where.
    To this day whenever the other team has a Johnson we always tell him how much he sucks.

21. DAK77

DAK77 Member+

Nov 10, 2008
    Merion Village, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    speaking of banners.... BOB SAGET

Draghignazzo, THOMA GOL and Hamburgler03 repped this.
  22. hardhead

hardhead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 2008
    NEO
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I remember that. I must have been near you. Loved those CCL matches in 09-11.

23. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Eric Denton also gave a middle finger one time.

24. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have seen this post a dozen or so times now.

I laugh. Every. Time.

Thank you.

Is Denton on Twitter so that we can pay him back?

/Asking for a friend.

Hamburgler03 repped this.
  25. porchlight

porchlight Member+

Jul 27, 2013
    Crawlumbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    After the winning goal the guy behind me in the stands grabbed my shoulders and starting shaking me..lol..I thought maybe a high 5 but no..it was Meyhem!!!!
    0.jpg