Fargo - Season 2

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by kcscsupporter, Jul 15, 2015.

1. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    Ufos !?

I'm glad we gave up on the series after a few episodes ..

2. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    Too bad. It's a great show. I don't know what the UFO is suppose to stand for, but it doesn't bother me that much....yet

3. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    With only one episode left, I'm not sure if they could ever properly explain any of the UFO stuff.
    Nor do I want them to. The story should focus on the plot lines we are all interested in.

The final episode is called "Palindrome". I wonder if that implies some sort of symmetry in terms of the story, at least when it comes to the nature of the ending?

Do we end up back at the diner where it all started? Also, Lou still hasn't gotten the injury that left him with the limp he had in the first season.

4. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yeah. it's an extremely minor thing about the show at the moment. it'd be like complaining one of the best pizzas you've ever had was entirely awful because there was one, tiny mushroom accidentally touching one of the slices (assuming of course you hate mushrooms on your pizza). i have no idea what to make of the ufo, and frankly, it gets a complete pass until later. i mean, it was weird, but i have no problems trusting in the writers/creators after what i've seen so far from this show.

5. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    I didn't have any issues with the UFO stuff as long as it stayed on the fringes of the story.
    But I do think it might have been a mistake to make it such a set piece in what ended up being a key scene in bringing several plot lines to a climax.

The Jitty Slitter repped this.
  6. watermelon1

watermelon1 Red Card

Aug 14, 2015
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I watched the first episode of season 2 and it sucked. Big Time.

Now I am going to watch the other episodes.

Billy Bob killed it.

7. chad

chad Member+

Jun 24, 1999
    Manhattan Beach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At the time I thought the UFO was pretty dumb, but with a bit of distance it doesn't really bother me. It had been coming all season and it is kind of light-hearted and fun. I much prefer the absurd to the stupid, and I now think the UFO is more the former than the latter.

That is, for me the UFO is easier to take than that happily coincidental massive amount of out of character stupidity of several characters that happened a couple of episodes ago.

8. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    What if the Gerhardt men killed all the cops? What would Hanzee do then?

9. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Kill the survivors himself, which he still did in the end.

10. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Yeah. There has to be a big payoff for this in the finale. Otherwise it's just going to feel like a cheat!!

11. adam CZ

adam CZ Member

Feb 19, 2014
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    I thought the UFO appearance was strange, but it was coming eventually with how the show had built this whole fascination of aliens throughout the season. I think the UFO was included that way as part of the story being told at the beginning of the episode, with the idea that there are only a few witnesses that survived to recall what actually happened. I guess that storyline was just meant to portray the time frame of this season, so hopefully it doesn't become a turning point next episode.

The preview for the finale shows a social security card with the name "Tripoli" on it. He was the mob boss of Fargo in the first season. It'll be interesting to see how that connection is made.

12. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    Well, UFO is why the first murder of the young brother happened, so I guess it makes sense to continue showing it.

13. SpencerNY

SpencerNY Member+

Dec 1, 2001
    Up in the skyway
    Part of the UFO thing may simply be a shot out to Close Encounters of the Third Kind, which came out a couple of years before the events of Fargo Season 2 took place. I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't delve into it too much.

14. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    adam CZ repped this.
  15. adam CZ

adam CZ Member

Feb 19, 2014
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Very similar to Hanzee's encounter at the Waffle Hut when the time suddenly changed.

16. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Not sure how I feel about the season finale. It all felt a little underwhelming.

Could someone walk me through the tie-ins to season one?

The big obvious one was that the two kids playing catch grow up to become mr. Numbers and mr. Wrench.

But does that mean that Hanzee is their boss and is one of the doomed Fargo mob members who gets killed by Malvo in season one? That seems like a stupid ending for a character like Hanzee. It would have been more interesting to leave his ultimate fate a mystery. This seems like a desperate attempt to shoe-horn him into season one.

The refusal to address any of the UFO stuff makes the decision in episode nine to feature it so prominently even weirder.

I feel the same about the explanation that Hank gave for the markings his daughter found in his study. It almost seems like the writers had no idea what to do with that stuff and wrote themselves out of trouble that way.

17. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    Yea, not sure what to think of it. Felt underwhelmed as well.

18. ElasticNorseman

ElasticNorseman Member+

Apr 16, 2004
    Natick, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    Hanzee's new name was "Moses Tripoli" who was a boss in the Fargo syndicate who ordered the hit on Lorne Malvo and was killed by him. (from what I've read). I agree it was a bit underwhelming. But not as underwhelming as Mike Milligan's new career. I did find it funny that the desk in his new tiny office had a Selectric on it.

Belgian guy repped this.
  19. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    MM's new career reminded me of the last episode of The Shield.

Belgian guy repped this.
  20. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Agree

It ended and I was like wait... that's it?

Complete filler

21. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Great first half of the season.
    So and so second half of the season.
    With a very underwhelming finale.