Famous person is dead. R.I.P. [R]

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by That Phat Hat, Mar 16, 2011.

1. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lately I've been getting plain or vanilla yogurt in the big(ger) tubs and putting a couple of spoonfuls in a bowl, then adding a bunch of raisins. Pretty tasty.

Moishe and nicklaino repped this.
  2. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    I had wheat germ for breakfast but that is probably the only good thing I've eaten today.
    Whose wife? The wrong answer here may get you shot and all of that good eating and excersising will have gone for naught. :p

3. nicklaino

nicklaino Member+

Feb 14, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Funny my wife of over 50 years. She still looked good to me.

Moishe and Dr. Wankler repped this.
  4. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    Good because after a certain age crawling out of windows doesn't look dignified.

Dr. Wankler repped this.
  5. Bootsy Collins

Bootsy Collins Player of the Year

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's what the back door is for. Just ask the Wolf.

6. nicklaino

nicklaino Member+

Feb 14, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Wow I never heard this version of back door man. I dug the doors version of this song.

You know when I watch a soccer game on tv. I don't really listen to commentary. I don't really need someone to try explain what's going on in a game to me so I shut the sound and just watch the game. I listen to doors music while I watch a game.

7. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    You guys all have interesting strategies to avoid winding up on this thread.

Mine is to not be famous.

spejic, chaski, song219 and 3 others repped this.
  8. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    :D

9. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh please.. I have every intent of becoming famous.. I'm just not going to die. :)

Dr. Wankler repped this.
  10. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Well, that's a better way of attaining immortality than trying to be famous!

11. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
  12. Bootsy Collins

Bootsy Collins Player of the Year

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Doors' cover was a pale shadow.

Moishe and taosjohn repped this.
  13. nicklaino

nicklaino Member+

Feb 14, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    One guy I knew was not famous because no one knew who the hell he was, but was very very wealthy.

His name was ken Wood he was the owner of Kenwood sterieos and electronics. He lived in the Mayflower hotel on Central Park west in the 1980s. I had an apartment their at that time. He was older then I was a lot of famous people stayed their back then because it was close to everything in Manhattan. It was mostly rentals.

Robert DeNiro and joe Pesce shared a place there back then. It was a place filled with celebrities associated with paramount pictures they had a block of apartments. Metropolitan opera had apartments there it was a few blocks up from their. When they had the Macy's day parade you could watch it just by looking outside your window.

Ken wood lived in the penthouse apartment there it went for almost 7 thousand a month. He was an Englishmen he had orgies in his place every week. No one outside of the hotel knew who he was at that time.

14. HerthaBerwyn

HerthaBerwyn Member+

May 24, 2003
    Chicago
    Wait. Kenwood is a Japanese company with a made up US sounding tradename.

crazypete13 repped this.
  15. nicklaino

nicklaino Member+

Feb 14, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I thought it was a Japanese or Korean company at that time. But, no it was not it was an English company.

16. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Technically, you're both wrong. The company was founded by Japanese-American William "Bill" Kasuga in 1961 as a US distributor of Trio, a Japanese audio equipment manufacturer. That being said, the name is made up. Kasuga called in Kenwood because "Ken" is a popular name in the US and Japan and "wood" implies durability and a connection to Hollywood.

http://www.twice.com/news/people/kenwood-founder-bill-kasuga-dies-98/7982

17. HerthaBerwyn

HerthaBerwyn Member+

May 24, 2003
    Chicago
    Professor Irwin Corey. Dead at 102.

He was a mad professor with wrong information social critic comedian. Big in the Smothers Brothers, Ed Sullivan era.

http://projects.registerguard.com/apf/arts/us-obit-irwin-corey/

Corey stayed busy deep into the '90s, making appearances at comedy clubs and Friar's club roasts. He denounced the war in Iraq and attended rallies supporting legalization of marijuana.

He also could be spotted pushing a walker in midtown Manhattan traffic, panhandling or selling free newspapers to motorists, with all the money raised going to charity.

18. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Just saw this.....RIP!

[​IMG]

19. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Dr. Wankler repped this.
  20. nicklaino

nicklaino Member+

Feb 14, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    There was a night club back in the day called the upstairs at the downstairs. The upstairs room was for comedians. I saw Corey there and Joan rivers. It was a very reasonable price tag to see a show under 100 dollars. You could not beat that.

21. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
  22. Moishe

Moishe Moderator
    Staff Member

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Mar 6, 2005
    Here there and everywhere.
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Nacional Tijuana repped this.
  23. HerthaBerwyn

HerthaBerwyn Member+

May 24, 2003
    Chicago
    !2 days after retiring. Ive always admired as guy who runs through the tape.

crazypete13 repped this.
  24. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I just posted elsewhere that he played a homecoming concert when I was in college. I wasn't the least bit interested, but my gf wanted to go. Took about 20 seconds for him to win me over.

Moishe repped this.
  25. riverplate

riverplate Member+

Jan 1, 2003
    Corona, Queens
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    [​IMG]

George 'The Animal' Steele, Wrestler and Mild-Mannered Teacher, Dies at 79
    - N.Y. Times
    https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/17/sports/george-steele-the-animal-dead.html?_r=0
    George Steele, a gruff, green-tongued fighter who, as the Animal, was one of wrestling’s wildest and most-hated villains for almost two decades, has died, World Wrestling Entertainment, the professional wrestling organization, said on Friday. He was 79.

Mr. Steele, whose real name was William James Myers, was born in Madison Heights, Mich., on April 16, 1937, according to “WWE Legends,” a book by Brian Solomon. He gained fame in the 1970s and ’80s as the Animal, a hairy, grunting brute of few words. But he had little in common with that persona outside the ring.

Mr. Steele, who had dyslexia, earned a master’s degree from Central Michigan University and went on to teach high school in the Detroit area, where he moonlighted in sports-entertainment promotions, according to World Wrestling Entertainment, formerly known as the World Wrestling Federation. Mr. Steele, who is in the organization’s Hall of Fame, started appearing in W.W.F. in 1967, when he launched into a bitter rivalry with the champion Bruno Sammartino.

Mr. Steele was known for his unpredictable behavior and a signature habit of stuffing his mouth with the inner padding of the turnbuckles located at the corners of the ring. In 1985, his career shifted course, according to WWE. Mr. Steele went from being among the most reviled figures in wrestling to one of its most loved, when, after being abandoned during a six-man match by his partners, he wound up under the guidance of the then-popular Capt. Lou Albano.

Throughout much of his career, he continued to teach high school and coach football in Madison Heights, Mich., where he would return for Monday practices after weekend appearances at Madison Square Garden. He retired from wrestling in the late 1980s after learning that he had Crohn’s disease and devoted much of his life after that to motivational speaking, spiritual testimony and promoting awareness of the disease. He later resettled in Cocoa Beach, Fla.

Mr. Steele was inducted into the WWE Hall of Fame in 1995.

[​IMG]

HerthaBerwyn repped this.