Fact or Fiction: The Russian Premier League will be the 6th best league in UEFA within 5 yrs

Discussion in 'UEFA and Europe' started by pc4th, May 26, 2008.

1. pc4th

pc4th New Member

Jun 14, 2003
    North Poll
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2008/may/25/2

The Russians are coming

The biggest threat to English football's domination may soon emanate from Russia

* Brian Oliver
    * The Observer,
    * Sunday May 25 2008

Read the rest of the article. Very interesting.
    With the biggest population in Europe (150 million) and billionaires who want to invest in the sport, the league will only get better.

6th best league in UEFA would put the RPL behind EPL, La Liga, Series A, Ligue 1 and Bundesliga.

2. mattteo

mattteo Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    It seems likely. Only problems are players not wanting to go there unless they earn a lot more money compared to Western Europe and not much depth in quality domestic players.

3. pc4th

pc4th New Member

Jun 14, 2003
    North Poll
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.xs4all.nl/~kassiesa/bert/uefa/data/method3/crank2008.html

UEFA Country Ranking 2008

# country 03/04 04/05 05/06 06/07 07/08 rank08 nt08
    1 England 11.250 15.571 14.428 16.625 17.875 75.749 8
    2 Spain 14.312 12.437 15.642 19.000 13.875 75.266 8
    3 Italy 8.875 14.000 15.357 11.928 10.250 60.410 8
    4 France 13.500 11.428 10.812 10.000 6.928 52.668 7
    5 Germany 4.714 10.571 10.437 9.500 13.500 48.722 7
    6 Russia 5.875 10.000 10.000 6.625 11.250 43.750 4
    7 Romania 4.333 5.500 16.833 11.333 2.600 40.599 5
    8 Portugal 10.250 8.166 5.500 8.083 7.928 39.927 7
    9 Netherlands 5.416 12.000 7.583 8.214 5.000 38.213 6
    10 Scotland 7.375 4.750 4.250 6.750 10.250 33.375 4

4. RichardL

RichardL BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    so by that, the question of being 6th best within 5 years is rather pointless, as they are already 6th best.

5. Twix

Twix New Member

Apr 28, 2007
    Wow, so I guess this thread is closed then.

6. leg_breaker

leg_breaker Member

Dec 23, 2005
    I'll wait till I see Russians teams in the knockout rounds of the Champions League before I accept them as being better than Portugal, Holland and Scotland. The Uefa rankings give far too much credit to the Uefa Cup.

Unak78 repped this.
  7. Hrvat

Hrvat New Member

Mar 27, 2005
    Zagreb, Croatia
    If we are to determine the quality of the whole league, UEFA Cup is a factor equal to the Champions League. I think that we can agree that Russian third placed team would always be a huge favorite over a Scottish third placed team and that says something.

8. Marbur66

Marbur66 New Member

Nov 27, 2007
    Canada
    That's a safe assumption. The Scottish league would be an afterthought without the Old Firm.

9. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Further factors to consider:

- Russian weather and schedule. Zenit received some scheduling accommodations to assist their UEFA cup run. What would the league do if 2-3 clubs are chasing European trophies?

- Not every billionaire may be as willing to lose money as RA, and...

- ...until the league can garner a fat global media contract it's unlikely to see the financial returns necessary to make these clubs profitable like the 6th best league in Europe should. Ere go, for every Zenit or moderately successful Moscow club, there'll be 3-4 clubs still resembling the older, poorer league.

- Because of those factors, over the near-to-long term those investors will continue to look outside the country for profitable ventures, as RA has done. Sure, some could do both but for every investment made towards another Chelsea that's less money redirected back to the Russian League.

- Lastly, if UEFA/FIFA make any new policies regarding how clubs manage their debts, rest assured it will impact the sugar daddies as well who'd either be forced into larger confirmed write-offs or may be prohibited in what they can contribute to a club (as a means of restoring parity). If ManU is forced to tighter financial scrutiny, they'll make sure Chelsea and others don't have any unfair advantages.

- - -

The new facilities appear very nice and I'm happy to see the reinvestment in the game, and surely the league will improve. The lack of global appeal versus the other established brands will limit the return, however.

My $.02, anyway.

10. leg_breaker

leg_breaker Member

Dec 23, 2005
    I wouldn't be so sure, Lokomotiv Moscow are hardly anything special. If the Russian league is better than the Scottish league, when can we see Russian teams doing as well as Celtic in the Champions League?

11. Marbur66

Marbur66 New Member

Nov 27, 2007
    Canada
    I bet we won't have to wait for long.

12. sinner78

sinner78 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 7, 2001
    Russian clubs face some of the longest travelling distances for domestic games.
    They have games at some distant outposts like vladivostock ,tomsk ,grozny ,etc

13. Hrvat

Hrvat New Member

Mar 27, 2005
    Zagreb, Croatia
    Celtic deserve loads of respect for what they do in the CL (at home at least :D), but they needed penalties to eliminate the Russian runner-up in the 3rd qualifying round this year.
    But that's not really the point, the point is that besides the Old Firm duo Scottish sides mean nothing in Europe. On the other hand we have CSKA and Zenit as UEFA Cup winners and Spartak who are rather familiar with how it is to play CL.
    Russian league simply has more depth and inner reserves.

14. leg_breaker

leg_breaker Member

Dec 23, 2005
    So, intead of two teams you have three?

15. The Potter

The Potter Member+

Aug 26, 2004
    England
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    It does seem to have become a vouge league, particuarly in England numerous big money transfer rumours seem to involve a Russian clubs. Scouts seem to be convinced of it's quality.

16. RichardL

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    That's a big point. Ticket prices are very low and a team like Zenit probably only takes about £1 million a year through ticket sales. That's less than a 4th tier side in England.

17. blanc

blanc Member

Jan 13, 2006
    Los Galácticos
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Low ticket prices = fans

18. Bayern4Life

Bayern4Life Member+

Aug 22, 2004
    Not necessarily....if a team is not successfull but it's ticket prices are low doens't mean that it will have a lot of fans come to their games...better put if you say a team without a solid tradition with low ticket prices also doesn't mean that fans will come to see their games just because the ticket prices are low

19. RichardL

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    ...except in Eastern Europe, where low ticket prices are a result of low salaries.

20. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Um... Zenit 2 - Ranger 0 no?

But I do agree with your point. I don't believe those rankings. Porto have won both the Euro cup and the champions league in the last couple of years + provided a CL quartfinalist in Benfica and a Euro cup finalist in Boavista. PSV continuously reach the latter stages of the CL + Celtic and Rangers have both been doing well in the CL + Euro cup recently too. So I have to say that quote about the UEFA cup being overcredited is legit. It's a CL group dropout tournament. No offence Zenit fans.

21. NGV

NGV Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Over the past 5 years or so the CL performance of Russian teams looks pretty similar to that of Scottish teams, and the Russian league is far less top-heavy. Top to bottom, I'd say Russia is better.

22. Cirdan

Cirdan Member

Sep 12, 2007
    Jena (Germany)
    - Russian teams play half of their matches in European Cups during off-season. I'd consider that as a strong disadvantage.

When looking at coefficiants, you have to see that Russia always had just 4 teams in the competitions, while Portugal and Holland had 6 or 7. Portugal has 3 first round exits almost every year, Hollands small teams didn't look much better lately, while for Russia, at most 1 of 4 failed before group stage. We'll see how good Russia will do when they play with as many teams next year. I predict they'll lose grounds again, more because important matches in group stage and early knock out rounds are played during Russian off-season than because I believe they are the worse league.

BTW, I have seen both Rangers and Zenit play a couple of times in CL/UEFA Cup last season, a notion that Rangers would be better or even just as good as Zenit makes me laugh.

23. leg_breaker

leg_breaker Member

Dec 23, 2005
    There's no real evidence for that. When we see two Russians teams reaching the knockout stages in the CL, then they can be compared to Scotland. I'm not sure what you're basing the depth argument on either.

24. leg_breaker

leg_breaker Member

Dec 23, 2005
    Playing your games when you're rested and have an open schedule doesn't seem like much of a disadvantage to me.

25. Ian Daglers

Ian Daglers New Member

Jul 11, 2006
    Live from New York
    I agree that the Russian accomplishments in CL have been less than overwhelming, but are you joking about strength in depth? Motherwell, the #3 SPL team this season, finished 26 points behind 2nd-placed Rangers, and #4 Aberdeen were 33 points back. That suggests a pretty serious lack of depth. The clubs outside the top two in Russia are much closer to competing for the title than in Scotland.