PBP: FAC - Huddersfield Town AFC vs Manchester United FC - Feb 17, 2018 [R]

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10, Feb 11, 2018.

1. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    It's about the formation and lineup that most benefits the team, not one individual player. If Sanchez wanted to play for a team that would cater to him he should have stayed at Arsenal. If you think we're best as a team with Sanchez on the left, you're wrong.

2. JC7rox

JC7rox Member+

Manchester United FC, LAFC
    Jun 11, 2004
    West Coast, Cali!
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    When you say lesser player, are you dismissing the fact that Martial has the potential to be at the very least on par with the likes of Sanchez? Proper development of this kid, which I am not sure United has implemented, easily sees him becoming one of the top players in the game. (Although I am sure you might disagree with this assessment)

benni... repped this.
  3. jeff070

jeff070 Member+

Dec 31, 2004
    PA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Lebanon
    You forgot the volley at home outside the box with the keeper saving it.

Young with his experience is given instructions to go forward when Martial tucks and we have possession. We couldn't get the ball in the final third today.

Shaw's technique and first touch are fine.

More game time = more confidence = more experience = more instructions/role.

4. jeff070

jeff070 Member+

Dec 31, 2004
    PA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Lebanon
    Martial has come leaps and bounds from the player sold by Lyon. You saw flashes of his dribbling let alone scoring.

Now at least he is beating his defenders on a consistent basis and knows his role better. What he lacks is bit of directness to take it upon his himself and finish the build up.

5. jeff070

jeff070 Member+

Dec 31, 2004
    PA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Lebanon
    Our three behind Lukaku should mirror what we did with Tevez Rooney and Ronaldo. Let them play in a free role covering each other's position. But I do not see Mou allowing us to play free flowing positions in attack and it is detriment to the defense when we lose the ball, and no one knows where to be at.

6. Karloski

Karloski Member+

Oct 26, 2006
    England
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Martial is the future. He's our best player this season. We have bigger needs throughout the squad. Buying Sanchez is not the problem....buying Sanchez to replace an area of the pitch which is fine and getting better, while other areas are shite...that's the issue.

7. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    he doesn't have any attacking ability to develop. he just isn't good at it. there is a good reason he's never scored a goal or come close. he doesn't assist well either

8. Karloski

Karloski Member+

Oct 26, 2006
    England
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Just to revisit the shit VAR. If the linesman's flag goes up for an offside goal it is not looked at by VAR...even if that decision is incorrect. That is the dumbest thing ever...and anti attacking football. Just fcking dump it.

9. jeff070

jeff070 Member+

Dec 31, 2004
    PA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Lebanon

10. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Riding off into the sunset
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While it's been a bit of a surprise how hard it is to effectively integrate into the game, it is still a new concept that needs to be given time to work. It really was necessary with the increasing number high profile blunders from the officials.
    Have no doubt they'll get it right eventually and it is a pity we have to go thru these growing pains at the moment, but it will surely be pretty seamless and effective soon enough.

11. Karloski

Karloski Member+

Oct 26, 2006
    England
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Does it hell. Goal line technology is fine but the rest is a can of worms that will ruin the game. This isn't American ball....the game will become stop\start garbage if this is moved forward into the wider game.

12. gatekeeper2

gatekeeper2 Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    VAR must be abandoned. If, such as today, it can't be used to achieve the correct result then it shouldn't be used at all.

And it's not as though there was something wrong with the technology that can be easily fixed. It relies on a pair of human eyes and if human eyes still can't get it right after looking at the play closely over and over, then we might as well go back to the vagaries of the linesman's decisions.

Great idea in theory perhaps, but let's just drop it now.

13. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The goal is definitely to limit the interruptions to the flow of the game, but more importantly is it to get decisions right.
    It has to be regulated more somehow, and limited to certain aspects and phases of the game. And any new process, it doesn't always work as it's expected but we'll there some day, and sooner rather than later. The alternative is not really viable either, since it's been clear for some time that a ref, even with assistants, miss some pretty big calls.
    The integrity of the game and the results is worth the effort to perfect VAR.

14. Karloski

Karloski Member+

Oct 26, 2006
    England
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I
    If you want to get every decision right (goal, offside, bad fouls etc) it will lead to a constant stopping of the game when decisions are missed or challenged. That may work in americano football and R League...it will lead to subjective decisions being mulled over and the game becoming a stop start mess that is not the football I want to watch.. it will ruin the flow of football.

15. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As I just said, I still want it's use to be regulated more: there are still officials in place and they still have a job to do, to the very best of their abilities. VAR is just another tool at their disposal like the linemen are. And there is surely a way to achieve a good enough balance, that VAR use will become seamless and effective.
    I certainly want to give it some time before deciding to give up on it so quickly before even trying to work out the kinks. And in the end, perhaps it is not a viable system that needs to be tossed, but it's way too early in the process to even go there IMO.

16. Karloski

Karloski Member+

Oct 26, 2006
    England
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    So how is a foul committed to a player (and not given), just before a goal is scored any different from a person being an inch offside before a goal?

Why would you check VAR for no linesman flag..but not if a linesman flag goes up? Both are equally important in the decision on a goal. And if they do both, what is the point of linesmen?

Lets not even go into the completely subjective nature of most penalties and handballs. In essence you are replacing somebody else subjective view..for somebody who will mull over it for a minute causing constant stoppages in play.

I don't need to give it time...I already know it's complete wank.

17. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    regardless, it's a good thing it didn't cost us the game. aside from the fact it would put us in the Real Madrid position of having to win the CL to salvage a season (with a much lesser chance than them), it also means no additional useless moaning from Mourinho.

he needs a win now (not a game win but some big positive) and yet he continues to choose to waste energy on pointless feuds, complaints etc.

doubletrouble repped this.
  18. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #193 Ashur, Feb 17, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2018
    You can still try to put words in my mouth, but I believe what I said to be very clear, but no problem I'll say it again. Perhaps the solution is to use it in certain aspects of the game. Itvdefinitely should not to be systematic and to review every single goal that is scored (that is stupid, really pointless and a big mark against the whole system): as mentioned, there is still a main ref who can handle a vast majority of the calls and decisions. I sincerely believe there has to be a way to establish a system that will make VAR use efficient.
    However, there are enough instances in the game recently where the validity of certain goals or just important calls have to called into question and deserves to be reviewed, especially if there are means (more often than not) to get it right. And as I said, if it proves to be a detriment to the game, then so be it and it can be tossed aside. But to give up on it completely without really give it a try is utterly stupid, as far as I'm concerned.

Edit: How many times anyway in one game that big, influentials are in doubt and need further review? To see VAR as something that will completely replace or supplant current officials, is the wrong way to look at that system entirely...

19. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. Karloski

Karloski Member+

Oct 26, 2006
    England
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    The system is backwards. It looks at either things the ref\officials have missed, or look at things at the refs request. What it doesn't do is question wrong decisions made by ref or linesman...that equally can affect the game. It's either all (which ruins the flow of the game)...or half measures which just causes a mass of confusion on why some decisions are looked at and not others...and also affects the flow of the game.

We can agree to disagree.

21. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #196 Ashur, Feb 17, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2018
    I've been surprised as to how the system is used currently (far from optimalnd in particular how every single goal needs to be reviewed) and I'm not a particular fan of it as it stands. But it is also in it's infancy and there is obviously room for growth and improvement.
    I've never been a fan of standing pat for fear of disrupting a current system or the status quo/way of doing things. There's always ways to make things better. In time we'll see: it's that simple really...

22. lynne

lynne Member+

Oct 11, 2003
    So you want Utd to bring out the team for the CL, plus the tactics, for a game vs Huddlesfield in the FA Cup 4 days before a real CL match?

Wow.

23. lynne

lynne Member+

Oct 11, 2003
    Seems like the linesman's job could easily be obsolete with existing technology.

24. Gilma1990

Gilma1990 Member+

Jul 30, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  25. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No surprise as to who the MotM was for today: this was clearly Lukaku's best game in a while. Not only he was clinical and powerful but his all around game was particularly on point as well.
    If he can replicate that type of play in big games, starting this week with Sevilla and Chelsea, it will be of major help to the team's fortunes.