Fabian Johnson: "wants back" in USMNT

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Dr.Phil, Oct 21, 2019.

1. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ChicagoVT, sakibomb523, Winoman and 3 others repped this.
  2. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    "Fabian who? He can't be better than Daniel Lovitz; I'm not interested." - Berhalter, probably.

ChicagoVT repped this.
  3. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    ChrisSSBB repped this.
  4. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #4 bshredder, Oct 21, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2019
    Gregg Berhalter probably knows Fabian Johnson better than anyone in the U.S. Soccer sphere. (Probably more than Arena or Klinsmann combined).

Fabian is a useful player when healty but keeping this club related for the purposes of this forum, here are some club stats.

1) he hasn't played since August in 2019/20
    2) he played 1000 minutes all of last season in 2018/19
    3) He played 460 minutes the season before in 2017/18
    4) He played 1200 minutes the season before that in 2016/17

For a player turning 32 in a few weeks, you have to factor in dependability - whether you are a national team head coach or a club manager. I am not sure how you can blame Berhalter for moving on and looking at other players, or from Monchengladbach from eventually moving on as well - his contract is up in June.

5. felloveranddidanadu

Plymouth Argyle FC
    Dec 12, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Frogs
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And it's very unlikely he'll get another. Probably plays at too high a level in the scant minutes he can muster but musters so few minutes that his wage wouldn't justify his time. He'd be a great pickup as a quality veteran who's willing to take a pay cut for a new experience on a young/lower table team but no one is gonna factor him in as a key piece

6. Eldinter

Eldinter Member

Jul 28, 2009
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I always liked Fabian and wished we played him more in the midfield in the mid-2010s. We could play him on the left and Cannon or Yedlin on the right. They push up, and the regista DM drops back as a third CB when we have possession.

7. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    Agreed, like this guy and was a fun ride...but he'll be 34? in Qatar. Just not the right approach right now from that perspective, unfortunately.

8. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    This is a perfectly reasonable take but it should be consistent in that Bradley is older and the team is currently built around him.

Tim Ream and Omar Gonzalez are also older than Fabian

9. bshredder

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #9 bshredder, Oct 22, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2019

There is value to having a few 30+ players on a team. But with Fabian, it;s the injuries. Fabian can't stay healthy. Bradley is playing more because, in case you haven't noticed, Trapp's role is thankfully decreasing. Like many, I suspect Adams will take the d-mid role and Bradley will be his backup until another No. 6 emerges.

Ream also stays healthy with remarkable consistency.

As for Fabain, he isn't nearly as healthy as you want from a reliable 30+ player. He's a good guy, talented, and his versatility is great but his history with injuries is such a concern that even if he gets healthy for a month or two, do you really think he's going to stay fit for a reliably long stretch? He's likely in his fourth straight season where injuries have forced him to miss a significant portion of the season.

Gregg and Fabian go a long, long way back. They weren't just teammates at 1860 Munich for several seasons, but they were both starters, and Gregg was the team captain because he was a mentor to the team's young players like Fabian at the time. If anyone fits the image of being one of "Gregg's guys" (and all coaches have their guys), it would be Fabian. If Fabian could stay healthy at a reliable rate, I think he'd be like a Tim Ream. But he can't seem to do it.

10. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    If injuries was the stated issue with Fabian, how can one argue? However, the stated point was age. I also think that the leadership provided by the current batch of 30+ year old has been terrible as the team looks neither organized nor poised nor motivated.

Altidore falls into the same category as Fabian IMO - an oft-injured player who can provide value when healthy at a position of urgent need. At least at striker, we have young options that we're trying out while it appears that Lovitz is our primary LB (I'm assuming Dest is out until near the Hex, at best).

As for Bradley, I'll simply state that I think it's completely wrong to say that our options are either Mike or Trapp as a placeholder for an injured Adams. If Adams is the presumed starter, our replacement should be a player as close in style and capability as Adams so that the other players get familiar with how the team will play when he returns. Adams couldn't be farther from Bradley and Trapp - they're almost complete opposites (although I think that Adams is fully capable of playing like how Berhalter thinks Bradley/Trapp play possession wise - 90% successful passed based on safe back/side passes briefly interspersed with long passes to the wings when not under pressure).

Finally, fair point on the relationship between Greg and Fabian. Personally, I think Gregg is savvy enough to realize that certain influential pockets of the USSF detest Klinsmann and felt that he was unduly biased towards German Americans. Therefore, currently available German-American duals are a "touchy" subject where the safe political play for him is to only consider auto-starters in a better league than MLS to get a call-in.

nbarbour repped this.
  11. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We need quality players that can fill in until the kids can take over. A call up doesn't mean he is going to the WC. Some players will just help get us there

DHC1, Monarch Bay Beachbum and wixson7 repped this.
  12. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Bradley, Gonzo, and Ream are not injured over half of the time.

Calling to the NT a guy likely to break during practice is a waste of everybody's time.

Editor In Chimp repped this.
  13. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    doesnt stop jozy from getting calls

14. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Jozy doesn't have to cross an ocean.

15. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    how about john brooks then

16. bshredder

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    John Brooks is 26 years old.

Gacm32 repped this.
  17. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Only 26. But the way things are going, he'll achieve Fabio status by the time he hits 29.

18. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here is my opinion on the talented Fabian Johnson. Bring in Timmy, Julian, Danny Williams, Alfredo, Terrance, Thomas Dooley, JJ, and Willy Roy before bringing in FJ. I’ll admit to having a jaundiced eye when it comes to FJ but I suspect he has earned the same from more than one of his coaches.

19. Eldinter

Eldinter Member

Jul 28, 2009
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We started Daniel Lovitz in a competitive game. So much for that kind of attitude toward FJ. Fair points from folks above about injuries, I'd call him when healthy in next games.

acima, DHC1, Namdynamo and 1 other person repped this.
  20. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I'm more interested in his Gladbach future, expiring 2020 contract and no real reason to extend at this point. The club might be better off focusing on younger player and less injury proness.

Dr.Phil repped this.
  21. #1 Feilhaber and Adu

Aug 1, 2007
    Nonsense.

But continue on...……….

22. PortiereNuovo

PortiereNuovo Member

Jun 20, 2019
  23. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's not necessarily true. He'll be 35 come the WC. So it won't aid winning then.

As for now, it's very debatable. The LB position is a mess. But Lovitz isn't the only option. We'll see what happens w/ Dest. Lima or Cannon can be switched over. Fabian is coming off another injury, and after the previous one he had lost a step or two. They're piling up and he's almost 32.

24. EXALIFTIN

EXALIFTIN Member+

Nov 23, 2010
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sad to say but a 35 year old FabJo might be a better bench option then anyone else for LB

acima and RalleeMonkey repped this.
  25. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    If Berhalter wants to bring Johnson back, that is fine but the key is to not overthink this like he's overthought other issues as manager (the tactical approach, player roles, etc.).

Play Johnson as a left back.

RalleeMonkey repped this.