PBP: FA Cup Tottenham Hotspur v Wycombe Jan 28, 2017

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by Count Chocula, Jan 28, 2017.

1. Count Chocula

Count Chocula Member+

May 7, 2010
    Cedar Falls, IA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. Count Chocula

Count Chocula Member+

May 7, 2010
    Cedar Falls, IA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    on the goals scored. Sons 1st was deflected some. not sure if it was going in or not to begin with.
    2nd goal - the penalty. again, I've seen worse not given, so both teams received a similar penalty chance-wise
    3rd goal - was that dembele who headed that way up where Alli could get it? great header made that possible
    4th goal nice pass back to Son by Janssen, who had just missed a header to win it about 45 seconds earlier

3. SPUR-ious

SPUR-ious Member

Aug 21, 2011
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    The Sissoko signing seems a big mistake at this point. He looks like he has everything, but he wasn't good today...again. I wish he would come good -- he was good for France, but I guess you can't base your assessments off of one tournament. N'Koudou came off at the half, I think, and couldn't get a cross over the first man. Something seems to be wrong with our scouting of Ligue One. I feel really bad for Janssen. He gives it 110%, but a goal from open play just won't come. Nice one-two with Son for the last goal, though.

4. adrenaline11

adrenaline11 Member+

Jul 29, 2010
    Toronto
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    First half - we played like an MLS team
    Second half - we played like an MLS team + 3 DP's

reefur and Count Chocula repped this.
  5. Count Chocula

Count Chocula Member+

May 7, 2010
    Cedar Falls, IA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    worst thing most teams can do is base a club player on their national team performance. its a different game

SPUR-ious repped this.
  6. calmanalysis

calmanalysis Member

Aug 16, 2008
    NYC
    Korean Frank Lampard

leocal11 repped this.
  7. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Don't know if it will happen, but we should try to sign a CB before the window closes because our defensive cover for Toby and Jan is mostly rubbish.

Carter-Vickers was completely rag-dolled by the Wycombe front line, and Wimmer and Dier were not much better. If you watch the first Wycombe goal, Wimmer was marking Hayes and for some reason left him. Don't know what's happened to him, he was so good last year but seems to have fallen out of favour with Poch - he has now subbed him off the last two games.

Regarding an earlier post about the motivation for the squad players, the manager can say what he wants about them playing for their futures, but we have seen it time and again - these players know that they have little chance of being picked in the PL XI, so to expect them to perform in the Cups is wishful thinking. They are squad players for a reason, just waiting to be sold on, see Townsend, Mason, Carroll, Chadli, Soldado, Paulinho etc., etc.

8. Count Chocula

Count Chocula Member+

May 7, 2010
    Cedar Falls, IA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    so Fulham next then....

9. leocal11

leocal11 Member+

Feb 7, 2005
    San Francisco
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ....that will be tough.

10. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Especially if Poch insists on playing the reserves in the Cups...

11. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, really don't know what's going on with Wimmer.
    I'm not gonna slight CCV, yet. He has been decent, if not good, in previous matches. Everybody has a bad match now and then, even against lower level teams.

Not totally sure about that. Mason had a chance to get integrated, but didn't make it. Carroll, too. Chadli was a regular, but was not good enough, as was Soldado. At the moment, there really is a spot for Sissoko or N'Koudou to take on the left/challenge Son for a regular spot. They need to fight to get some playing time. Winks has certainly done that. Lamela certainly improved himself over the course of 2015/2016 to make himself a regular and not expendable. Spurs are playing to win on 3 fronts right now, and need to have squad players who can step up and contribute. The challenge is for those players to actually do so under the pressure of being expected to win, as the regular 11+ do.

Count Chocula repped this.
  12. Count Chocula

Count Chocula Member+

May 7, 2010
    Cedar Falls, IA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    reserves have to show a reason to become a first choice regular. they were given an opportunity against a lower level side and most of them didn't rate well

I've lost my faith in Wimmer being a viable backup. I think he's been pretty awful in the last 3 matches I have watched him play

13. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    he couldn't cope with Akinfenwa (who is a real handful, to be fair) ... like, at all. it wasn't a good outing for him.