Eye Contact

Discussion in 'Referee' started by chwmy, Mar 7, 2017.

1. chwmy

chwmy Member+

Feb 27, 2010
    LOL but of course this is why beeper flags exist in the first place, right? and why the top guys use them even when they have radios.

2. Rufusabc

Rufusabc Member+

May 27, 2004

I have a couple of questions. Was that play close to you? Do you really think that's your call if it's anywhere where I think it is? Like middle of the field 30 yards from the goal?

3. Youdda

Youdda New Member

Jan 29, 2013
    Cincinnati
    I have to admit that I struggle to understand why being waved down makes some of us mad. I have been waved down around 10 times or so in my 7 years. Never had a problem with it. Even when I know I am right. It is the CR problem if he chooses not to use or act on my information. If spectators know I am right, then the CR looks bad. If I am wrong or no one saw what I saw, then the center looks good. Unless you get waved down repeatedly, no one remembers or cares that the AR was waved down. Seems silly to get emotional about it.

refinDC, cmonref, IASocFan and 2 others repped this.
  4. chwmy

chwmy Member+

Feb 27, 2010
    well, i got to see video of myself refereeing. i only got half of the game, but it did have one of the incidents in question. there is no audio.

i learned several things.

1: i look nothing like a ref on tv.
    2: i'm much less in position than i think i am. i essentially never get wide, and i change directions kinda slow, like a boat.
    3: i have an awful looking slow run, kinda shuffly with my arms down. it's the least athletic looking thing i have ever seen. as in we would make fun of kids who run like that in grade school.
    4: the incident where i missed the ar happened soon after i had collided with a player, was an OOB on touch and i think i was just discombobulated and not a time i expected the ball to be out. her signal was crisp and timely, and i should have seen her, plain and simple. she was still up when play turned back towards her and i can't imagine not seeing her.

all in all a pretty sobering 40 minutes of watching myself.

Doug the Ref, dadman, IASocFan and 6 others repped this.
  5. tomek75

tomek75 Member+

Aug 13, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It always it the first time you see yourself on tape. Just remember you are your worse critic, so don't be so harsh on yourself. Watch it a few times and try to learn from it. Try to get yourself on tape again later down the road and see it you improved. If you work Academy games, ask the coaches about sending you a tape. Most of the academy games in my area are recorded for development purposes and the coaches are more than willing to share them with referees.

chwmy, cmonref, dadman and 1 other person repped this.
  6. dadman

dadman Yo soy un papa

DC United
    United States
    Apr 13, 2001
    Reston, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #31 dadman, Mar 10, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2017
    chwmy, thanks for sharing your self-critique, and tomek75, thank you for rewarding that sharing with such good advice. This kind of teaching and mentoring is why I enjoy lurking here so much.

Well, that and Bubba Atlanta's bon mots. ;)

voiceoflg repped this.
  7. chwmy

chwmy Member+

Feb 27, 2010
    thanks a ton for this advice. to be frank, it took me several days before i was willing to watch it again more critically.

i have another one of these games in a couple of weeks and i have several things to work on in the meantime, but i will have a chance to see what i have changed.

i have super-high expectations for myself professionally, and it was quite a blow to know that i'm fairly mediocre as a ref. at the age of 49 and really not having the time to travel to do more competitive games, at some point i have to wrestle with the reality that i am not ever going to be that ref that people say "wow he's pretty good."

or maybe i'll double down and really work at getting better.

IASocFan and dadman repped this.
  8. JeffG

JeffG Member

Mar 9, 2005
    MN, USA
    Something tells me this is the direction you'll go. Most refs wouldn't spend the 40 minutes you did to watch your own performance. Just the fact that you care this much makes me willing to bet that "they" are already saying "wow, he's pretty good".

IASocFan, dadman, seattlebeach and 2 others repped this.