Expansion

Discussion in 'Pro Indoor Soccer' started by WPSL, Mar 24, 2018.

1. WPSL

WPSL Member

Apr 7, 2008
    Club:
    Cleveland
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Watching the Ron Newman Cup Press Conference, the Commissioner Josh Schaub announced that 4 expansion teams have put a bid in to the MASL for next season. Any predictions, on cities? Also he did mention a national TV deal. Any prediction which network?

2. Scooge

Scooge Member+

Jun 20, 2007
    Big Sky Country
    Club:
    Portland MLS
    Completely a guess on my behalf, but I could see the Colorado Blizzard (Denver) of M2 coming up into the MASL next year.

3. Buddy98

Buddy98 Member

Oct 22, 2014
    Expansion Bids

Toronto (I have a suspicion they would be counted for that)
    Rochester
    Atlanta
    Phoenix, AZ

Network
    ESPN

KimZaccha!! and SteveCo repped this.
  4. Joey Tee

Joey Tee Member

Newcastle United
    United States
    Apr 12, 2010
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dallas may be back...different owners all together

SteveCo repped this.
  5. C-Bus20

C-Bus20 Member

Mar 1, 2009
    Everywhere
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Would be cool to see Cleveland back in the indoor game.

Mkewavefan10 and WPSL repped this.
  6. WPSL

WPSL Member

Apr 7, 2008
    Club:
    Cleveland
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I also would love to see Cleveland (Force) back in indoor soccer. Also I would like to see the Wichita (Wings) back too. I want to see the MASL move into new markets which never had professional indoor soccer before like Bakersfield, California and Boise, Idaho.

Teams that I would like to return to the MASL Dallas Sidekicks and Rochester Lancers.

7. SteveCo

SteveCo Member

Mar 23, 2014
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The cities listed are good guesses. There was talk of a possible Georgia team a while ago that never went anywhere. Soccer Sam tried to restart the Lancers before this season but failed to find a workable arena with available weekend game dates. Of course Toronto is already slated to begin play at some point soon. As for the network, I heard a rumor it might be BEIN sports . The thing about the sport is if you don't like the rumors today, wait 15 minutes and it will change. It's a long way from applying to the league to actually fielding a team. I welcome new teams with well funded owners . I hope at least a couple teams start playing next season.

8. cardshopmd

cardshopmd Member

Sep 9, 2008
    Baltimore
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Toronto is not a part of the 4 bids for a team. Since they already have been approved.

Florida , Rochester . Dallas, I am not buying the line of a national TV deal has been agreed to because nothing was signed yet.

9. KimZaccha!!

KimZaccha!! Member

Oct 27, 2016
    Where in Florida, Lewis?

10. WPSL

WPSL Member

Apr 7, 2008
    Club:
    Cleveland
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I really hope it isn't BEIN Sports. The MASL gets more viewership on MASL TV on YouTube then they would ever get on BEIN Sports. I hope it's ESPN or FOX Sports.

SteveCo repped this.
  11. firesting81

firesting81 Member+

Jan 16, 2001
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa
    Rochester
    Atlanta
    Orlando
    Dallas

Stadium Sports Network...new over-the-air network from Sinclair Broadcasting that launched a few months ago. They've got a few mid major college sports conferences and things like Pro Ultimate. Lots of MASL markets.

SteveCo repped this.
  12. firesting81

firesting81 Member+

Jan 16, 2001
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa
    ...Though BeIN would make some sense, now having a vacuum of American soccer coverage with the NASL gone. They need some live content in the late afternoons and evenings now.

SteveCo repped this.
  13. WPSL

WPSL Member

Apr 7, 2008
    Club:
    Cleveland
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If your picks are true, what a shame. Rochester and Dallas would just be re-joining the league (example Monterrey and Rio Grande Valley). Orlando, if the rumors are true. Cedar Rapid Rampage will be moving there so not a expansion team. So only one team that would be true expansion team, Atlanta. And if it is the same owner that try to put that Georgia Attack team in last year. Well we will just have to wait and see what happens with that.

14. Joey Tee

Joey Tee Member

Newcastle United
    United States
    Apr 12, 2010
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think this is a whole new group with potentially a new name and logo here in Dallas. Not sure the guys from before will relinquish the brand to anyone else.

15. firesting81

firesting81 Member+

Jan 16, 2001
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa
    These sort of situations annoy me greatly. The current owners of the brand were pulling in like under 2k average attendance. What worth did they bring to the brand? They think they're sitting on some sort of massive asset. Holding out for some big figure makes little sense.

SteveCo and Joey Tee repped this.
  16. Fanaddict

Fanaddict Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    streamwood IL USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Chicago mustang ownership is saying they will be back in MASL one next year.

17. Mustang2016

Mustang2016 Member

Oct 20, 2012
    For teams, I would predict:

Rochester - Soccer Sam has been talking about this for a while and will hopefully pull it off this year.
    Bakersfield - There's a Facebook page called "Bakersfield Pro Soccer" that claims a team is coming there in 2018.
    Dallas - Rumors have been floating around about their return since they didn't come back for this season.
    Georgia - There was supposedly a team being put together there a few years back but I haven't heard anything since.

Obviously, these are just predictions and we won't know for certain until teams are actually on the field.

For TV, I have no idea but BEIN Sports sounds reasonable.

18. Mkewavefan10

Mkewavefan10 Member

Jan 16, 2013
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wouldn't mind having the Mustangs back especially if Cedar Rapids is gone from the division. The Wave and Mustangs have had some pretty great games.

I thought i saw somewhere that the Georgia team bought the Waves old carpet. Hopefully we can expand this league and not loose any teams on the way unless they need to be let go.

19. NSL2004

NSL2004 Member+

Jul 23, 2002
    I hope no one uses the Sidekicks game unless it's a properly funded venture in a suitable facility. One rumor I heard involved a beat to hell rodeo arena. A "Sidekicks" team would be DOA in a venue like that.

SteveCo repped this.
  20. Scooge

Scooge Member+

Jun 20, 2007
    Big Sky Country
    Club:
    Portland MLS
  21. powerplay13

powerplay13 Member

Mar 17, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    SteveCo repped this.
  22. CFL-fan

CFL-fan Member

May 1, 2006
    Maryland
    I have been to that arena in Kissimmee for Hockey. It is a horse show arena. Most of the seats will be back from the field like in Harrisburg.

23. Scooge

Scooge Member+

Jun 20, 2007
    Big Sky Country
    Club:
    Portland MLS
    Like this:

SilverSpursArena-hockey.jpg

24. MLSinCleveland

MLSinCleveland Member+

Oct 12, 2006
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Isn't Orlando already in the league (I've always assumed Lakeland was an Orlando suburb)?

25. Scooge

Scooge Member+

Jun 20, 2007
    Big Sky Country
    Club:
    Portland MLS
    Lakeland and Orlando are about 56 miles apart, making them very close rivals. Even closer than Baltimore is to Harrisburg (79 miles).

SteveCo and powerplay13 repped this.