Expansion Draft Press Release

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by SamPierron, Nov 19, 2007.

1. Wizardscharter

Wizardscharter New Member

Jul 25, 2001
    Blue Springs, MO
    1. Ryan Cochrane (Houston Dynamo) <----The no-brainer
    2. Clarence Goodson (FC Dallas) <-----Also a no-brainer
    3. Ned Grabavoy (Columbus Crew) <---------good glue guy
    4. James Riley (New England Revolution) <-------Taking the potential I guess
    5. Joseph Vide (New York Red Bulls) <--------I didn't know much about him, surprising.
    6. Ivan Guerrero (Chicago Fire) <-------Why Burciaga stays
    7. Brian Carroll (D.C. United) <--------Given
    8. Jason Hernandez (Chivas USA) <--------I thought Merlin would go, but that's an OK choice too.
    9. Gavin Glinton (LA Galaxy) <---------This guy scores, looks like the second coming, and then disappears for 2 months.
    10. Chris Pozniak (Toronto FC) <-----Good pick, I overlooked him on the list.

SJ lands a DP of note and they might be on par with Beck-less LA right now.

Good result for KC. Hopefully the first of many the next few months. Maybe there is a benefit to never being on television nationwide and always being crap when they are.

Now if Burciaga returns to '06 form or even anywhere close, KC can improve from the draft. KC should be able to snag something of quality in Round 1 and maybe Pore steps up with strength and conditioning to earn a starting job. Add a DP (it could happen), have Marinelli and Eloy grow, keep EJ, and have just one young guy step into a roll; then maybe a wiser Onolfo and staff can turn a break or two into a roll and compete.

Interesting possibilities: *Trade the #1 for Toja
    *Talk to Guevara
    *Find a huge bald Hitman look-alike from Norway...they are not doing anything next summer.
    *Scour Serbia for a no sense of humor defender who likes nothing better than wet sauna-like humidity, Gates' Spicy over lean chicken, winning headers, and clean-sheets.
    *Davy heals like the Cheerleader from Heroes and returns to an undefeated team in April.

2. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    How could Ives have had it wrong? Why 11?

Perhaps SJ was going to pick Burciaga and changed their minds?

I'm thinking trade. SJ threatened to take Burciaga and cut a deal with Onalfo.

Who would SJ really want from KC? Maybe Conrad. Yallop built his first team in SJ with a wily vet named Jeff Agoos anchoring defense. Perhaps Jimmy is the captain Yallop wants?

Can KC use a young D-Mid? Quakes just got 3. Do you play a 3-5-2? Because Carroll doesn't fit Yallop's 4-4-2 system.

Maybe Goodson for Conrad (plus the pass on Burciaga).

3. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That makes no sense at all. KC doesn't need a D mid (Zavagnin and Morsink), we play a 4-4-2, and I seriously doubt Onalfo would want to get rid of Jimmy. Onalfo isn't high enough on Buricaga to consider a trade to keep Burciaga. He was relegated to the bench late in the season. And with Goodson out of contract that makes absolutely ZERO sense.

If there was something like that, Ives or Goff would have a scoop on it. It's too juicy for them not to.

4. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    and while SSV's blog says a trade will be announced, I just don't see it being with the Wizards. I mean do any of those players fill a role that we could possibly have? The only one I see, is Grabavoy, but Onalfo seems pretty happy with two of the three of Zavagnin, Morsink, and Marinelli in the middle of the field. None of these players are worth trading for Jimmy.

5. Redfoot

Redfoot New Member

Dec 19, 2002
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ives is human he could have made a mistake.

6. FRYE!

FRYE! New Member

Oct 21, 2007
    KC
    burciaga's shown a ton of potential this season. it'd be a shame to see him go.

7. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    anyone talking about a trade for jimmy is having a laugh.

potential for what? tripping over the ball again? dribbling into 3 defenders? passing directly to the wrong colored jerseys?

i'll take a 4th round pick or better and send him on his way.

8. Felixx219

Felixx219 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 8, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

You do realize he has been with us for a while, right? He is past the "showing potential" stage of his career. He has had his chance and has not done the best with it and its time to let him go.

9. rhymeorreason

rhymeorreason Member

Nov 16, 2004
    OPKS
    No! All analysis of MLS should be done by cold, logical machines. Or Vulcans, take your pick. As a matter of fact, that's all that should be allowed to post on the boards. Of course, if that were the case, it would be appropriate to say "The last one off of Bigsoccer turn out the lights."

I think the draft turned out very well for the Wizards. It will be interesting to see what we do with Jose, though.

And this kind of reinforces what we've learned this year - strong core (protected players) but not much depth (no expansion draft candidates).

Is it too early to start the next expansion draft thread?

10. vividox

vividox Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Let's trade Jose, EJ, and all the allocations we have left for a striker who is worth a damn.