Examples of conservative media bias

Discussion in 'Elections' started by superdave, Sep 10, 2004.

1. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought we could log all of the examples of conservative media bias, then bookmark every time the subject comes up.

(Oh, and you on the right, if you want to do the reverse, I ask that you start your own thread. We wouldn't want any OT posts to violate the TOS, would we?)

http://www.salon.com/news/feature/2004/09/10/calhoun_bush/index.html

There's this Calhoun guy who claims to be able to verify Bush's Alabama service. But, he's a big liar, and that was demonstrated in February by documents the Bush administration released.

So isn't it remarkable that major news organizations like CBS, the AP, and CNN, are allowing him to repeat lies that were exposed 6 months ago?

It ain't remarkable once you realize that the major news media are conservative water carriers.

2. Garcia

Garcia Member

Dec 14, 1999
    Castro Castro
    Maybe they are just lazy.
    I would wonder what they teach these people in school.
    This is similar to the airlines.

Hear me out now.

Aviation people don't run airlines anymore.

Media people don't run the media anymore.
    If we are to associate corporations with the conservative side of the political spectrum, you'd guess that these stories are reported as such and/or forced in this manner.

Newspaper men used to run newspapers, but even then they had and applied their agendas. I think your use of the term "media" is too wide ranged to agree with you.

3. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It wasn't the CEO of CNN that booked or conducted the interview.

4. Matrim55

Matrim55 Member+

Aug 14, 2000
    Berkeley
    Club:
    Connecticut
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Teenagers today are going to end up looking upon corporations the way baby boomers look upon communism: Something distincly evil and unAmerican. It can't happen soon enough.

5. Dan Loney

Dan Loney BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 10, 2000
    Cincilluminati
    Club:
    Los Angeles Sol
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines
    The Swift Boat Scum were outed as liars all the way back in April. They should never have been allowed out from under their rocks. But did that stop the cable news idiots? What do you think?

How many retractions on Sandy Berger have been run, by the way?

6. BlueMeanie

BlueMeanie New Member

Apr 1, 2002
    EastSIIIIDE
    Funny you bring this up. I just finished reading Banana Republicans by Sheldon Rampton and John Stauber.

One of the chapters, "The Echo Chamber," is quite interesting. It describes precisely how more and more position papers are going straight from conservative think tanks to the mouths of allegedly unbiased reporters/anchors/pundits, and also documents quite well how conservatism is taking over the airwaves.

Excerpt (from pp. 51-52 of paperback edition):

What seems new, however, is the conservative movement's success at developing its own echo chamber that deliberately creates and amplifies these sorts of stories with disturbing regularity and increasing virulence. The Clinton years were marked by an unending cycle of pseudo-scandals that focused enormous public scrutiny on topics with no bearing on public policy and scant evidence of actual presidential wrongdoing -- Scissorgate, Travelgate, the alleged "murder" of Vince Foster and a series of so-called "bimbo eruptions" that trivialized and personalized American politics as never before. For eight years, the serious business of government became a Seinfeld-like sitcom, in which "nothing happened" but everyone talked about it. This occurred in large part because the conservative movement successfully used a three-part strategy to dominate the news cycle:

1. It has used the complaint of "liberal bias" to pressure the mainstream media into giving more sympathetic coverage to conservative politicians and causes.

2. It built its own, idealogically-driven media network as an alternative to the mainstream.

3. It has developed an effective system of promoting conservatives within the mainstream media -- helping them find jobs and advancing their careers and exposure.

These resources do not always enable the conservative movement to dictate the direction of American journalism, but more often than not, they give conservatives a disproportionate capacity to do so.

Other passages in the book do discuss how Dems have at times done the same, but there's no doubt the saturation is, in their words, disproportionate.

Good book, not too long. It gets 4 out of 5 stars on Amazon, but everbody besides one kneejerk numbnut gave it at least 4 stars, and from the comments, it's doubtful that one idiot even read the book. (Gee, people commenting on books they haven't read or movies they haven't seen? Say it ain't so.)

7. Yankee_Blue

Yankee_Blue New Member

Aug 28, 2001
    New Orleans area

8. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry, no link, but apparently Novak demanded that CBS reveal their source for the documents.

For those of you who don't understand the difference between irony and related concepts such as coincidence, THIS is irony.

9. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    This is the kind of thing that makes the editors of The Onion go, "damn, now we can't run that story next week."

10. SoFla Metro

SoFla Metro Member

Jul 21, 2000
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    When John Kerry's position evolves, he's a flip flopper. When Bush and Cheney change their story from one day to the next, they are "clarifying," at least according to CNN (on the "we can't win the war on terror" from Bush and on Cheney's contention that the "wrong choice" on Nov. 2 would result in further attacks).

11. Ian McCracken

Ian McCracken Member

May 28, 1999
    USA
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    See, irony would be if Novak was accused of falsifying a story. He wasn't. Ergo, no irony. CBS on the other hand, are comprised of the biggest hack leftist journalists in the business.

12. Smiley321

Smiley321 Member

Apr 21, 2002
    Concord, Ca
    Now you're being unfair, Eleanor Clift is still reporting at Newsweek.

13. SoFla Metro

SoFla Metro Member

Jul 21, 2000
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    It is indeed irony. It is a classic, textbook example of irony.

14. DoyleG

DoyleG Member+

CanPL
    Canada
    Jan 11, 2002
    YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Those same teenagers can't even take care of themselves.

15. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's another one.

ESPN is doing all kinds of stuff with the soldiers in Iraq. Why now? Doing it, I don't question. Doing it immediately after the GOP convention? That's no coincidence.

And if someone pipes in with, well, 9/11 anniversary, that's even worse, since those poor bastards aren't in the desert because of 9/11. Bush was planning this war from Day One. Trying to elide those differences is a key element of the Bush campaign strategy, and if this is what's going on, ESPN is subtly giving millions in free publicity to the Bush campaign.

And Al Michaels was slurping Condi Rice last night. What, no reference to her having been named Iraq Policy Czar lo those many months ago?

16. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did you know: Daryn Kagan and Rush Limbaugh are dating? Wow.

Which got me searching, and I found this gem of an example of conservative media bias... from *gasp* CNN!!!

17. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    http://mediamatters.org/items/200407270004

I remember this gem from Tucker Carlson, too. For those disinclined to click on links, it's the one where Carlson said that Clinton called half the country wackos in his DNC speech.

18. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're gonna have to take my word for it, but I'm home sick from work, and I had CNN's noon program on. They were covering Bush's UN speech. The hairman was interviewing two correspondents from European newspapers. At first, it wasn't anything unusual, but then he started badgering the guys to parrot the Bushie line and bash the UN. He actually asked if the UN would become "irrelevant" if it didn't pitch in in Iraq!! And he ALSO actually asked if the UN was being "petulant" by saying, in essence, you broke it, you fix it (the UN to the US, I mean.)

The notion that it's BUSH who is being petulant by refusing to admit he f'ed up never seemed to cross his mind.

The thing is, CNN can't outfox Fox. There's a reason MSNBC is rising. Whether it's Scarborough (right) Olbermann (left) or Matthews (center), they have a point of view.

19. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.nytimes.com/2004/09/25/politics/campaign/25cbs.html

"CBS News said yesterday that it had postponed a "60 Minutes" segment that questioned Bush administration rationales for going to war in Iraq.

The announcement, in a statement by a spokeswoman, was issued four days after the network acknowledged that it could not prove the authenticity of documents it used to raise new questions about President Bush's Vietnam-era military service.

The Iraq segment had been ready for broadcast on Sept. 8, CBS said, but was bumped at the last minute for the segment on Mr. Bush's National Guard service. The Guard segment was considered a highly competitive report, one that other journalists were pursuing.

CBS said last night that the report on the war would not run before Nov. 2.

"We now believe it would be inappropriate to air the report so close to the presidential election," the spokeswoman, Kelli Edwards, said in a statement. "

20. mozilla

mozilla New Member

Aug 12, 2004
  21. purojogo

purojogo Member

Sep 23, 2001
    US/Peru home
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    God may be forgiving, but geez, this is Karl Rove you are talking about! :D

If people ought to be condemned for using innacurate documents: Where is the "liberal media" outrage over the Niger uranium....Or better yet: Why can they point to obvious documents (not forgeries) that provide such a bleak picture of Iraq (even in the most positive scenario: "tenous" stability vs. -most negative- civil war!) Those who believe the media has a truly liberal aganda are off their rockers, simple as that....The most hilarious thing is seeing people believing this based on what Hannity, O'Reilly, Limbaugh, Coulter, Savage, etc. have to say....Guess what they do: Yes, they are media people, believe it or not..... And they push their right wing agenda harder that anyone on the left, save perhaps Air America, or (in a more extreme way) WBAI....

22. peledre

peledre Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The title of this thread is an oxy-moron, how can there be any relevant discussion within it?

23. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How is it an oxymoron? Do you know what "oxymoron" means?

24. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Yes, CBS is obviously in on the plot. :rolleyes:

25. peledre

peledre Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe I do.

"Conservative Media"
    is a statement which contradicts itself, much like "Tall Midget", "Short Giant", "Hard Pillow", or "Intelligent Liberal".