Ex-RSL Players Part 6: Here, There, and Everywhere

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by Ismitje, Feb 17, 2015.

1. Todorojo

Todorojo Member

Oct 27, 2008
    South Weber, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    And since his departure from RSL, Kries has just been proving Hansen right I’m not paying him big...

2. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree to a point. I’ve always said he caught lightning in a bottle by getting Morales and KB, and stumbling upon the Diamond. However the organizational cultures of NYCFC and OCFC compared to RSL are greatly different. I’m not sure that he wouldn’t have continued the on-field successes here.

3. irondeepbicycle

irondeepbicycle Member+

Real Salt Lake
    United States
    Jul 31, 2017
    Salcedo played 90 minutes for Mexico in their 1-0 upset over Germany.

4. Lizzie Bee

Lizzie Bee Member+

Jul 27, 2004
    Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was painful to watch, both as an RSL fan and a Germany fan. :(

5. RoyalNonesuch

RoyalNonesuch Member+

May 10, 2009
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good for Carlos. Time for us to move on. He was solid.

pate and Lizzie Bee repped this.
  6. KendaReal

KendaReal Member+

May 3, 2010
    Taylorsville, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Salcedo had stayed with RSL, would he be playing in the World Cup right now? I don't think he would.

7. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    very doubtful. However, had RSL not bungled it they would have sold him to Italy instead of Chivas and taken a lot more of the proceeds than they did.

I was really happy for Salcedo. He played a really good game. I was equally annoyed with the club. Their only acknowledgment was retweeting a tweet from Matt Gaschk. So ********ing lazy. The dude was part of our academy and wore the first team jersey. Let bygones be bygones and recognize the dude's talent.

Lizzie Bee, trackrunner and pate repped this.
  8. PumaJohnny

PumaJohnny Member

Nov 30, 2001
    Draper
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kreis was really great at building a program. I'd love to see him get a gig with an expansion squad.

9. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He was hired an entire year before NYCFC started play, and he built a terrible roster with only one player - Lampard - seemingly foisted on him. It may turn out that he was great at building our roster in partnership with Lagerway and Manning, but not past that.

BalanceUT, Todorojo and trackrunner repped this.
  10. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    exactly
    I get that a lot in these parts love Kreis. What he did here was special. However, the more he is on his "own" the more you realize he was just a piece of the puzzle and not the main thing. And, if we're being really honest, he was the weakest of the three parts based on results since his (and others) departure.

The next step he should take is to be an assistant somewhere in the league or the head coach at a USL side. I don't want him to fail, but watching him do it makes you realize how important the group was as opposed to just him.

BalanceUT and Todorojo repped this.
  11. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was my understanding that Kreis found Javi and Espy on a scouting trip to South America and personally recruited them to RSL, along with that 3rd Argentinian that didn’t stay long. I could be wrong...it’s been a while.

12. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    it would be kind of hard to find them both in Argentina playing given Javi was playing in the Spanish second division at the time and Espy was playing in Ecuador. I don't doubt he had a big influence on getting them here, though.

Matias Mantilla is the other Argentine you are thinking of, btw

13. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I read a story at the time that Kreis and Javi had dinner in Buenos Aires and gave him a passionate and convincing pitch to come be part of a group that’s going to be very successful. The 3 of them came to RSL in August, so I don’t know if their respective teams were in season at the time. You are correct regarding Mantilla’s name. I never can remember it.

BalanceUT and 15 to 32 repped this.
  14. Todorojo

Todorojo Member

Oct 27, 2008
    South Weber, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    It is almost as if the "Team was the Star" and not Kries. (Team meaning him, Lagerway and Manning).

BalanceUT and 15 to 32 repped this.
  15. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    BalanceUT, Todorojo and RSLer repped this.
  16. El-ahrairah

El-ahrairah Member+

Sep 20, 2004
    Wanker County
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    RSLer repped this.
  17. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now that I’m more informed about his history I can’t dislike him all that much. It looks like the RSL Academy helped get him over the top and into the professional ranks, but the bulk of his development was at the 2 academies he attended in Mexico. Like poster El-ahrairah I have trouble calling him a RSL Academy success story.

El-ahrairah repped this.
  18. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You should call him that. His story and those of the other guys who make the first team and/or get caps are what potential academy players look at. Is coming to the RSL Academy worth it to/for them? Look at Salcedo: yes, then, it is.

rslfanboy and BalanceUT repped this.
  19. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You make a point. But to me it’s more like an already trained and high performing Russel Wilson transferring to Wisconsin for his Senior season. After Wilson goes on to the NFL and wins a Super Bowl, does Wisconsin call him a Wisconsin success story? I guess they could, but it would be rather hollow. Maybe that’s comparing apples and oranges. In both cases the player received the bulk of his training somewhere else.

20. rslfanboy

rslfanboy Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Section 26
    And Wilson may have gone undrafted, and played on a practice team, and never gotten a break in the NFL if he hadn't gone to Wisconsin and proved himself in a more prestigious conference.

It seems to me that you just don't want to like Salcedo. It's an academy win!

Todorojo repped this.
  21. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Uhhhh, no. He was runner up ACC player of the year and the best QB in the league. He had NFL stardom written all over him. He left NCSU because he and the head coach didn’t get along. You also have misinterpreted my point, which wasn’t anti- Salcedo. It was anti RSL Academy claiming Salcedo as a success story for the Academy when they seem to have had a lesser role compared to other academies. But as was pointed out by another poster, they did have a role.

22. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Without RSL, Salcedo swims around lower division Mexican teams and hopes his family connections give him a break. This is a success story. I don't know how you could say it isn't. Hell, with the age that our academy is setup for now (15+) you could say the club really hasn't done ANYTHING to develop the players, using your same argument. But we don't.

Sure, it would be a lot cooler for this kid to be part of the academy from the start but nobody really has been yet. He's out there playing in the world cup - why would we NOT want to associate ourselves with him?!

23. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All good points...my self-appointed role of Devil’s Advocate is coming to a close on the Salcedo front. There wasn’t much to work with given that much of the problem was behind closed doors. I will leave it here by stating two things: 1) if RSL truly was that instrumental in Salcedo’s development then why don’t we consider him to be an ungrateful traitor? 2) when all is said and done I am just pissed that RSL had a Serie A and Mexican MNT level defender and mismanaged the situation.

24. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    you realize point 2 is the reason for point 1, right? And this goes with saying he was a traitor. I don't think he was. I think he got ********ed over because of one bad game in LA. It's really funny to say, in hindsight, that we started Chris Schuler over Carlos Salcedo

RSLer repped this.
  25. pate

pate Member+

Jun 12, 2007
    Provo, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Funny, I think you and I think funny means different things.

I agree though, @RSLer's 2nd point is the root of the problem and starting Schuler over Salcedo is a big part of that.

RSLer and 15 to 32 repped this.