Ex-RSL Players Part 6: Here, There, and Everywhere

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by Ismitje, Feb 17, 2015.

1. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No red card = win!

Dad bod impacting him again = loss.

2. KendaReal

KendaReal Member+

May 3, 2010
    Taylorsville, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Those glacial pace jogs when he was subbed off... how did we ignore the signs guys? This may be on us.

3. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I found those hilarious when we were winning games. Now I'm realizing it's just how he runs

4. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When we were winning and he'd know he was about to be subbed, he would manage to end up by the far corner flag, facing the stands. It was Class A time wasting.

BalanceUT and rslfanboy repped this.
  5. pate

pate Member+

Jun 12, 2007
    Provo, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A couple of days late, but former Monarch and RSL player Emery Welshman put up a hat trick for FC Cincinnati against NPLS side, Detroit City FC. He evened the score in the 1st half of the game, then scored twice and got an assist in extra time.

In addition to Wednesday's game, assist, and goals, he's got 1 goal and 1 assist in 9 appearances for his USL club.

6. irondeepbicycle

irondeepbicycle Member+

Real Salt Lake
    United States
    Jul 31, 2017
    Haven't seen this promoted anywhere, but Carlos Salcedo made the Mexican World Cup team.

I've done a little looking to see if he's the first person to every make a World Cup squad after signing his first professional contract with RSL, as well as the first RSL academy alumnus at the World Cup. I think he is - at least I can't find anyone else.

It does feel a little odd that the club hasn't promoted this. I mean, I get that Salcedo didn't leave the club on good terms, but the guys he had a beef with are pretty much all gone at this point.

BalanceUT, Allez RSL, Ivensor and 2 others repped this.
  7. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He pretty much told the organization to Go F Yourselves. Why would any organization promote ties to someone who did that to them?

8. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Salcedo was featured on the PHENOMS show that Fox has been running. Worth a watch if you have the time. It's the Mexico one, obviously, that he is featured in.

9. irondeepbicycle

irondeepbicycle Member+

Real Salt Lake
    United States
    Jul 31, 2017
    He said he loved his time in Salt Lake, loved his teammates, loved the club, but had a personal beef with the GM.

He's easily the biggest success story from our academy ever, and it feels like we should get over a personal beef from 4 years ago with a GM who isn't even with the team anymore.

10. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I follow Carlos on social media and he still has a very good relationship with players here. Many will comment or like his posts.

11. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I feel differently about him. C’est la vie.

12. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I still hold no grudge against him. He was great for us and treated unfairly. Funny thing is, if we had him now he'd be starting for sure. We seem to be a lot better about giving the youth a real chance under Petke.

13. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Carlos said some really dumb things in the breakup, lets be honest. He was young and his agent (dad, right?) was an asshole about it. Still, they weren't unfounded compliants. That Salcedo was getting benched for the likes of Olave with a walker and never healthy Schuler was just ridiculous. And it's been proven so now.

I am very happy Petke and the new staff are willing to not only give the young guys a chance, but to allow mistakes. Hopefully this club points to Carlos as something we could have done better with, not as if he was the problem

14. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh I know he said some stupid things, but he was what, 18 or 19 at the time? It wasn't the best way of going about it, but I also don't fault him too much for not acting like someone in their mid 20s that has more experience in these matters. I know when I was that age I did plenty of stupid things when it came to work.

It may have been different if he had a real agent, but with it being is father likely didn't help. I know agents in general are going to push for more since it benefits them as well, but I would think a parent is less realistic about their kid vs what another agent with far more experience and players under them.

Todorojo and 15 to 32 repped this.
  15. andyslc

andyslc No Longer a New Member

Sep 27, 2009
    Fargo
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Todorojo repped this.
  16. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    CJ Brown and Miles Joseph - the other two guys on the staff with ties to RSL - were also let go.

17. Todorojo

Todorojo Member

Oct 27, 2008
    South Weber, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Made the mistake of jumping to NYCFC who were an expansion team who thought they should win the cup in year one. Then followed it up by going to a team with a washed Kaka ego and a mess to clean up from Heath, while also expecting to win it all while skipping building steps along the way.. His career choices have led to his last 2 firings. Should go to Seattle now to hit the trifecta.

BalanceUT repped this.
  18. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seems like the positive buzz from being our coach has probably worn off now that he has two poor performances in a row on his resume. Might make it harder to get another MLS gig in the near future.

BalanceUT, goobx1 and Todorojo repped this.
  19. goobx1

goobx1 Member+

Jul 9, 2007
    Salt Lake
    He needs to become an assistant coach for awhile IMHO. Maybe he ends up in Seattle on the bench. I think that might be the best way for him to find himself as a head coach in the future. Go somewhere and when the head coach moves on or is fired he's the guy to turn things around like Petke.

BalanceUT and 2nd Mouse repped this.
  20. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He doesn't strike me as an assistant coach kind of personality. USL gig, maybe?

21. 2nd Mouse

2nd Mouse Member+

Apr 11, 2012
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    <cough> Seattle <cough>

<cough> Lagerway <cough>

22. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Might be willing to be an assistant in Europe somewhere. If he felt that would give him time from the last two teams, but still add to the resume.

23. goobx1

goobx1 Member+

Jul 9, 2007
    Salt Lake
    I could see a USL gig maybe but I would guess he might take that as a step down even as a HC.

24. irondeepbicycle

irondeepbicycle Member+

Real Salt Lake
    United States
    Jul 31, 2017
    We may be needing a new Monarchs coach in the near future!

25. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don’t think there’s any question about that. But I can’t see DLH and JK working together.