Ex Oriente Lux - Iacere FC Twente [R]

Discussion in 'The Netherlands' started by johan neeskens, Mar 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    We shall never surrender!

2. ortevor

ortevor Member

Oct 20, 2009
    Czech Republic
    Club:
    FC Twente 1965
    Re: Ex Oriente Lux - Iacere FC Twente

lovely thread title ! thumbs up

3. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    Re: Ex Oriente Lux - Iacere FC Twente

Ta!

Still no clarity about Luuk de Jong's injury by the way, even though he went to hospital today. I'm guessing the coaching staff and the medical staff are having a bit of a debate about it.

4. 96Squig

96Squig Member

Feb 4, 2004
    Hanover
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Subbed

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SBjQ9tuuTJQ"]Foo Fighters - The Pretender - YouTube[/ame]

5. Aztattooedsean777

Aztattooedsean777 Tattooed Football Fanatic

Liverpool FC
    Netherlands
    Feb 15, 2009
    Chandler, Arizona
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    woohoo new thread. :cool:

6. afcajax73

afcajax73 Member

Feb 4, 2006
    Stoke-on-Trent
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    daily mail says newcastle want pieters and douglas. seems like newcastle are becoming the regular raiders or attempting to of the dutch league :(

7. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    Newcastle would be a good club for him...

8. aveslacker

aveslacker Member+

Ajax
    United States
    Apr 2, 2006
    Old Madras
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Subscribed.

9. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Any team playing at home that doesn't want to try to win the match is gutless in my estimation. ADO fans cannot be happy with the cynical way the team played in the last 10 minutes, not even trying to get a shot or cross on goal. Twente deserved better.

10. CANADA-AZ

CANADA-AZ Member

Feb 3, 2005
    Hamilton-Canada
    The only leaders that are not losing points to the minnows are Ajax and Heerenveen

Heerenveen has real trouble against the big boys--except AZ--so until they can beat one they won't become the topper

Ajax may be the team that emerges here--

11. aveslacker

aveslacker Member+

Ajax
    United States
    Apr 2, 2006
    Old Madras
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's pretty standard from ADO over the years. Nobody should be surprised.

12. ortevor

ortevor Member

Oct 20, 2009
    Czech Republic
    Club:
    FC Twente 1965
    not a good weekend for Twente..at least nice to see Wesley making his debut and his crosses from the right flank getting very sharp and good....

and also nice to see Gouriye scoring twice :)

13. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    We suck at the moment, no idea what causes it either. It's like a universal drop in form. Ah well there's always next season, plenty of money in the bank for reinforcements in the summer. We desperately need creativity in midfield. I hope that the rumour is true that we've already signed Tadic.

Generally I predict the busiest transfer period ever for us this summer. And that's saying a lot as a Twente transfer period is always hectic.

14. aveslacker

aveslacker Member+

Ajax
    United States
    Apr 2, 2006
    Old Madras
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You guys have played a lot of games this season. That can't help. Plus, when the race is close like it is now, a little luck goes a long way to influencing the standings. What looks like a loss of form is usually influenced be a run of bad luck (and likewise, what looks like good form is also usually influenced by some bounces going your way).

Still lots of games left, obv.

15. afcajax73

afcajax73 Member

Feb 4, 2006
    Stoke-on-Trent
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    yep, its not over yet... for me twente has bottled it a bit, lost points at games which you need to be winning to win the league, but hey.. 7 games left is 21 points remaining.. i cant honestly see every team above them now going the remainder of the season not dropping a point or two on the way.

16. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    Well yes but fact remains we're missing creativity in midfield. We played plenty of games like we did vs Heracles and ADO and Excelsior in the year we won the league. In fact, we played worse games than that in the year we won the league. But back then we had Ruiz and Theo Janssen and they made the difference. The only game changer we have right now is Ola John and he's knackered. We're not going to win the league this season. I'm satisfied if we finish in the top four to be honest. We just do not have the quality in midfield.

Note that I'm not too depressed about it. We're still growing as a club and still on the way up. The lesson here is that you can't lose creativity and not pay for it if you don't get replacements in. I'm not blaming the club: the emphasis was and is on expanding the stadium. It's all part of the long term growth plan.

17. CANADA-AZ

CANADA-AZ Member

Feb 3, 2005
    Hamilton-Canada
    Not to stomp on you when your down

but wasn't McClaren supposed to make things a lot better?

18. aveslacker

aveslacker Member+

Ajax
    United States
    Apr 2, 2006
    Old Madras
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As long as you finish above PSV, all will be well.

19. afcajax73

afcajax73 Member

Feb 4, 2006
    Stoke-on-Trent
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    sounds like a bit of a cop out for basically saying your squad and the players you brought in arent good enough to be honest. Dont think twente sufficiently replaced the players they lost.. big mistake on managements part imo.

20. vagegast

vagegast Member

Sep 25, 2004
    Herndon, VA
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    For some perspective, Twente lost Janssen and Ruiz. If anything, they're doing well. Why is anyone expecting them to be top 2 or top 3 when they lost their best 2 players? And a mid-season coaching change? Nobody likes him but they lost Janko as well. Either way, last I checked they're ranked third right now, which means playing Europa League. Not bad all in all.

21. ortevor

ortevor Member

Oct 20, 2009
    Czech Republic
    Club:
    FC Twente 1965
    very curious about today's game, Roda is tricky opponent and can cause a lot of problems...
    Twente must win to keep with the other top clubs, as i guess noone of them will loose points this weekend...

22. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    No-one's copping out. The club target was top five before the start of the season. This club wants to grow long-term through growing revenues and in the short-term that's not necessarily down to finishing in the top two. Investment is going towards the stadium capacity because that's a safer bet towards making more money. You can't argue with Twente management where that's concerned.

Anyway no Dutch club has more money to spend than Twente at the moment. We'll grow financially more than any other Dutch club for the fourth season in a row regardless of what position in the Dutch league we'll end up in this season. That's sort of the point.

I agree that we should've got a replacement for Ruiz. But fact is no replacement was available at an affordable price at the time - Ruiz left us on the very last day of the transfer window. Two hours before the transfer window closed in fact. We bid for Tadic but Groningen wouldn't have it. So what do you suggest Twente should've done? Panic buy? Twente is not a club that can buy a creative quality replacement for a player before said player has left. That's just not our financial reality.

23. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    Twente's not down, what makes you think that? We're in a much better shape than AZ long-term, in every way. I'm not sure what brings about your cockiness considering AZ's past and present. You've got plenty to be proud about considering AZ's present but you're not in a position to slag off Twente, and that's putting it mildly.

24. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    Decent win but there won't be any changes in the league table this weekend. Top four is what we should be aiming for this season, all thing considering.

Congrats to Verhoek on his first Twente goal.

25. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    We're the third club in the league revenue wise so that's where we should finish in the table.