Everton v. Villareal - CL qualifier 8/9/05 [R]

Discussion in 'Everton' started by sarabella, Aug 5, 2005.

1. Rocket

Rocket Member

Aug 29, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can someone why we have to win by 2 goals in Spain?

I would think a 2-1 win for us in Spain would tie the series up and send it to the equivalent of "extra time" and possibly PK's.

Or am I missing something here?

2. 655321

655321 New Member

Jul 21, 2002
    The Mission, SF
    You're correct, you don't necessarily have to win by two goals, but you have to score at least two there and then see what the score is at the end.

3. bford

bford Member

Houston Dynamo, Everton, USMNT
    Nov 30, 2004
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No I don't think we'll go to hell. In fact I think we'll go to Spain and give them everything we have. It may not be enough to win, but it won't be an easy game. Feel free to go laugh at some other team loser. Everton fans don't run off or give up after a tough loss.

rock

bford

4. mischaDCU

mischaDCU New Member

Mar 26, 2001
    Columbia, MD
    CL qualifier 8/9 POST match [R]

The main thread was getting a bit ponderous, so I thought I'd start a post match thread (mods, please merge if you feel it necessary; I'm new to this board).

Based on the BBC Five Live broadcast and also what I have read on the match, I think there are some positives that we can take from this game, despite the very uphill battle we now face. I would really like to hear what people who actually get to view the match have to say.

First, the pollyana side:

1. We played way better than we did against Fenerbache, and also better then against Udinese.
    2. The high-pressure, high-energy workrate which served us so well last season is already in form.
    3. We created chances and bothered VR with high balls. It sounded like we were getting the kind of chances that we were finishing many of last season (Cahill and Yobo, I think, and maybe Big Dunc too, had good chances that just simply weren't quite on frame). Our finishing just needs a bit more sharpness and we are right where we left off from last season.
    4. Beattie scored! Great to get him some confidence.
    5. Neville assisted, and sounds like he fit in quite well for his first match with the squad.
    6. No major injuries.

Now, the chicken-little side:

1. They simply outclassed us.
    2. We are still basically a workrate team only, and our signings have done nothing to improve that. Also, our defense is suspect, especially on the left.
    3. We never really bothered Barbosa at all, aside from the goal.
    4. Beattie did little else aside from his goal, and lost his man for their winning goal.
    5. Neville couldn't do his main job of containing Riquelme.
    6. We already have injury problems (Kroldrup, Osman, Carsley and maybe now Cahill got a knock, too, at the end?) and the season hasn't even started.
    7. We still have to play in Spain!

Again, it's hard for me to judge, since I didn't see the match. What do people who actually got to see it think of Everton's performance? Player ratings, anyone?

5. The Old Lady Hertha

The Old Lady Hertha New Member

Dec 15, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    Hah yes I do take heart from Istanbul...but I have regressed...I don't think we're gonna make it.

My emotional rollercoaster continue. :D

6. zerorespects

zerorespects New Member

Oct 11, 2003
    Arizona
    Re: CL qualifier 8/9 POST match [R]

I didn't get to see it sadly, but I do know this. Kroldrup will be back next game. So thats something sweet.

7. Lockjaw

Lockjaw BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 8, 2004
    Kaiserslautern
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great game from a neutral's perspective. Everton's pressure served them well. I was also impressed by Beattie. I had not seen him play before, but had heard media reports that he was "selfish". He didn't look selfish to me as he kept knocking quality balls down for his teammates.

8. Juan Carlos II

Jan 14, 2004
    Lytham St Annes
    Club:
    Bolton Wanderers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Vooooooooooooooooooooosh! That's the sound of your CL exploits, nice while it lasted eh?

9. sarabella

sarabella BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 22, 2004
    UK
    Ok, I think I'm finally able to talk about it.

1) The ref blew chunks. He robbed us of at least three corners, and with the way they were defending corners all night, that could have amounted to something.

2) There's no freakin way in hell Marcus Bent should have missed in the second half. I guess some things never change.

3) We really didn't play that badly. Yeah, the score could have been better but they are a real quality side and we put up a good fight.

4) Beattie is still a lazy twat. There were a couple of times when a really good run into the box would have been useful, but he chose to stand back and watch the action. And then when the cross did come in, he'd be too late to get a head or foot on it.

5) I was impressed with Neville. He seems like he's willing to give his heart and soul to the club and I respect that.

6) It doesn't get any better than Tony Hibbert on defense.

Maybe now we can concentrate on the season and try to make the best of that. Whoever said Davey was right to not make panic signings, I agree with you 100%. We don't need the high salaries to compete in a competition that is beyond our reach. 2-0 in Spain is entirely too much to hope for. Champions League - it was nice while it lasted.

10. The Old Lady Hertha

Dec 15, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    Kroldrup may be out for months, SkySports says he may need groin surgery. :(

11. Lillywhite

Lillywhite New Member

Jun 3, 2005
    London
    At least you're still in the UEFA Cup.

12. HazyDavey

HazyDavey New Member

Nov 20, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    Here are my player rankings on a scale of 1 to 10:

Martyn - 6: still surprisingly quick off his line but his hesitation on the first goal could've been the difference maker.

Hibbert - 6: never the most technically sound, he was his usual blood and guts workhorse, and I say bravo for at least earning his caution.

Yobo - 5: pretty quiet all around and never looked too comfortable witht he ball at his feet.

Weir - 5: had a few decent step-ups but showed his age on the goal. Doesn't have the pace to keep up with top-tier strikers.

Pistone - 5: made a few excellent runs and couple of decent crosses, but usually managed to royally f*** up his first touch.

Neville - 8: played hard and marshalled the midfield effectively. Very optimistic about him.

Arteta - 7: one of his best performaces in a blue kit to date. Whipped some beautiful crosses/free kicks into the box and hustled more than usual.

Cahill - 7: all heart as usual, won 50/50 balls, amazing in the air, and put a hurt on the VR keeper. Would've liked to have seen him and Arteta "create" more.

Davies - 4: the missing man all night.

Kilbane - 6: lots of hustle and some good passing, but just didn't have the speed or moves to get around that last defender.

Beattie - 7: good work rate and he scored a striker's goal, but he also wasn't too much a threat.

Bent - 6: not as much hustle as usual and needs to put a shot on goal to feel comfortable.

Ferguson - 6: he's in there for his size, his heading, and his motivation, and none seemed to have much of an impact.

McFadden - no rating, didn't play enough time.

All in all, I was happy with the hustle and work rate, and both goals pretty much came against the run of play. We looked very dangerous for the first 20 mins, but are still lacking a true offensive weapon and a top-tier center back. I say all hope is not lost, but it's an uphill battle to be sure.

Can I ask a dumb question (that I should know the answer to): if we lose in Spain, do we go to the UEFA Cup, or is that only for the 3rd Place finishers in the CL Group Stage?

13. The Old Lady Hertha

Dec 15, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    Yea we go into the 1st round of the UEFA Cup...

14. Rocket

Rocket Member

Aug 29, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Even though the CL is certainly more prestigious, I think we're actually probably better off in the UEFA Cup for the time being.

I'd rather see our club work its way slowly back up the ladder toward our former "big" club status, than to risk an Ipswich-like crash and never return to European football for another 20 years.

15. sarabella

Jun 22, 2004
    UK
    You might want to rethink this one. Hibbo was class all night. He makes some of the most timely tackles in the league.

16. zerorespects

zerorespects New Member

Oct 11, 2003
    Arizona
  17. HazyDavey

HazyDavey New Member

Nov 20, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    Hibbert just makes me nervous and always has, but I have started to come around on him. I'm probably in the minority on that, but it's just a gut feeling. I'd love nothing more than to continue to be proven wrong. I GUESS I can bump him up to a 6.5 - haha...

18. The Old Lady Hertha

Dec 15, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    How can he make you nervous? He is the anti-Pistone...if anyone makes you nervous it HAS to be Pistone, and Yobo as well. I wish Kroldrup had played, but I think his groin injury is serious. :(

It'll just be like Martin Laursen in Aston Villa last year...he'll miss most of the season and be a virtual non factor for the rest of the season.

19. sarabella

Jun 22, 2004
    UK
    The anti-Pistone! That's hilarious!

20. HazyDavey

HazyDavey New Member

Nov 20, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    Point taken. Then again, the whole freakin' back line makes me nervous!

21. sarabella

Jun 22, 2004
    UK
    Nervous about Weir/Stubbs? No. Nervous about Weir/Yobo? YES.

I hope Koldrup comes back soon, though it's not looking good, eh?

22. The Old Lady Hertha

Dec 15, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    Thanks...I always try to bring humor in dire times. :p

23. PoshSpur

PoshSpur New Member

Jan 28, 2005
    New York
    I can't see you overcoming them in the 2nd leg. I wish the best of luck to all British teams in Europe. It's unfortunate that you had such a difficult draw.