Even more . . . Stuff from other MLS Teams

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by SoccerPrime, Mar 30, 2014.

1. El-ahrairah

El-ahrairah Member+

Sep 20, 2004
    Wanker County
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh, the old "if you build it, they will come" way of doing things.

I think it sets a bad precedent for the USMNT and a MLS club to be so palsy-walsy. I would prefer that the national teams have their own offices and training facilities somewhere that doesn't look like favoritism for any MLS club.

PumaJohnny and Todorojo repped this.
  2. PattysCow

PattysCow Member+

Apr 4, 2010
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Pretty neat. I wonder how it compares to RSL's training center.

3. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This arms race is fantastic for the growth of the sport in this country. The realization that buying expensive players doesn't equal creating good players is awesome to watch. I had to pinch myself while reading that article because it reads like something from an established Euro or South American club, not a MLS one.

All that said, I agree with El. The notion of an MLS club saying "this is where the national team will train" without anything from the nation team/federation is just ridiculous. RSL easily could have said the same thing but didn't. It's just KC being KC. The only thing RSL tried to do that was similar to that was say "hey, Euro clubs could come here in the summer to train" which I really really really want to become a thing.

RSLer and Todorojo repped this.
  4. Allez RSL

Allez RSL Member+

Jun 20, 2007
    Home
    Exactly. If you're Bayern Munich looking for a place to train in the states would you rather to go boring ol' Salt Lake City, or THE NATIONAL TRAINING CENTER? Add in the fact that they can claim to be in the geographic center of the country (ignoring the fact that this just makes KC really far from the population centers on both coasts), and you've got yourself a grade-A destination.

Dell Loy got burned bad by the SKC group on this one. Got burned bad. His only play now is to rename the place in Herriman something like "The Galactic Center of Football Supremacy" or something.

Lizzie Bee and PumaJohnny repped this.
  5. Todorojo

Todorojo Member

Oct 27, 2008
    South Weber, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
  6. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was wondering what the exchange rate was on these things. This is about as good as we're going to get

Also, you know this is ridiculous when people employed by MLS are laughing/making fun of it on social media.

Todorojo repped this.
  7. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why do we need two sets of bonus currency? Why not just make it one pool?

8. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    they do different things. It's explained pretty well on twitter, if you have that. Heck, the article is pretty good at explaining the differences.

And while it's irritating to not just have this all lumped in with the salary cap, there are CBA limitations on that. It's a nice legal way around having to go back into those sort of discussions.

Allez RSL repped this.
  9. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I knew there were differences, I just couldn't easily check while at work. I just can't wait for the league to incorporate Schrute Bucks and Stanley Nickels.

10. El-ahrairah

El-ahrairah Member+

Sep 20, 2004
    Wanker County
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Burned badly? Nah. If the US wants to impress the world with our national training center, KC isn't where you would put it. I've been there. There's nothing there to impress. The first thing they would see would be the crappy airport and that would be the highlight of the trip.

LA or NY or Florida or even SLC would be more impressive.

11. PattysCow

PattysCow Member+

Apr 4, 2010
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    If you're going to have a single training center for the USNT you'd think they would choose somewhere where they can play outside year around. I think it's mostly wishful thinking on KCs part.

DrownedElf and 15 to 32 repped this.
  12. trackrunner

trackrunner Member

Apr 5, 2011
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    QFE

13. trackrunner

trackrunner Member

Apr 5, 2011
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. PattysCow

PattysCow Member+

Apr 4, 2010
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
  15. El-ahrairah

El-ahrairah Member+

Sep 20, 2004
    Wanker County
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Todorojo repped this.
  16. Todorojo

Todorojo Member

Oct 27, 2008
    South Weber, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    I would also be happy with having just Utah but given a significant amount more of the exceptions to pull prospects from anywhere in the country we want. We already have (as of 2015) the most in the league. But with our new academy setup and the success of 5 recent guys making the youth MNT, dang we could attract talent.

We still have the strong connection with 2 Arizona based academy systems that got setup recently. I doubt we would have to lose that, we’d just have to limit who we count move to the Salt Lake Academy by the number of exemptions.

I have always felt Phoenix would eventually get in, so we’ll see what happens.

Ismitje repped this.
  17. El-ahrairah

El-ahrairah Member+

Sep 20, 2004
    Wanker County
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, Phoenix hasn't been awarded a franchise yet, so we could be getting all excited over nothing.

18. SenordrummeR2

SenordrummeR2 Member+

Jul 21, 2008
    Layton, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jordan Morris has been ruled out for the season due to a torn ACL. I feel bad for the kid and hope he has a good recovery. His game was built on speed and outrunning the defender. Hopefully he doesn't lose that due to the injury.

With that being said, Garth is aware we've got a spare forward for sale, right?

El-ahrairah, BalanceUT, goobx1 and 2 others repped this.
  19. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We've got a 2 million dollar man we'll sell for pennies on the dollar!

BalanceUT repped this.
  20. kirsoccer

kirsoccer BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 29, 2007
    Unfortunately, Garth and Yura became bitter enemies over the Randers debacle. Doubt those two would ever intentionally get back together.

Allez RSL repped this.
  21. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yura left on bad terms the first time and is on bad terms the second time already. What a guy!

Lizzie Bee, SenordrummeR2 and Allez RSL repped this.
  22. PattysCow

PattysCow Member+

Apr 4, 2010
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Toronto already down 2. MLS has definitely started.

BalanceUT and Lizzie Bee repped this.
  23. SenordrummeR2

SenordrummeR2 Member+

Jul 21, 2008
    Layton, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, but Cbus has played well. Toronto has had some good chance, but their finishing has been off.

24. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Two teams promised to be top contenders in the East have scored 0 and given up 6 as of the 63rd minute of Houston v Atlanta

25. andyslc

andyslc No Longer a New Member

Sep 27, 2009
    Fargo
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States