European opportunities for Aaron Long

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad Academy' started by TheFalseNine, Dec 23, 2018.

1. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    I blame you, you were the first person to put up an article.......

2. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Yeah, with a comment that a release clause would be unusual for an MLS contract. That was me casting doubt on the report.

DHC1 repped this.
  3. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    We BS posters (and certainly me specifically) are apparently immune to such subtleties.

4. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That must be the Santa Clause...

5. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There ain't no such thing as a Sanity Clause.

Winoman repped this.
  6. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is that you, Fiorello? :D

UniversalAdvice repped this.
  7. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. Sebsasour

Sebsasour Member+

New Mexico United
    May 26, 2012
    Albuquerque NM
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

This is Aaron Long's agent

superdave and Midas Mulligan repped this.
  9. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    oof this is gonna get ugly huh

adam tash and superdave repped this.
  10. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
    I don't think I've ever seen that many quotes from a US player in an article like that.

11. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seems odd there's so many french teams rumored. Is there some reason that's happening? I usually think France ignores Americans.

12. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Boca, Vanney, Bedoya, Miazga, Adu played there. Beasley too I think.

13. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    Davies, obviously Weah, Westberg, not Beasley I don’t think. To say Adu played is a stretch.

14. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is turning into quite a saga.

15. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Complete speculation time: it might be through the multiple French players RBNY has had recently: Henry, Perrinelle, Zubar, Collin, Valot, Bezecourt. ??

Winoman repped this.
  16. Midas Mulligan

Midas Mulligan Member+

Jul 24, 2013
    NYC
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It’s wild that RB Leipzig and Salzburg won’t sign anyone over 24. Sounds like more of a guideline than a rule.

17. rgli13

rgli13 Member+

Mar 23, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    so, are we still completely insane for thinking mls (at times) makes it harder than it should be for players to move?

adam tash, Gacm32 and Midas Mulligan repped this.
  18. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was pretty widely known that Miazga got a gig in France because he was watched in the USMNT-France game. I was trying to figure out what the parallel was for Long.

19. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
    Maybe he shouldn't have signed the new contract in March?

I also don't get the bit about the work permit. An English team would have to sign him to apply for one.

Something seems a bit odd.

adam tash repped this.
  20. autobus39

autobus39 Member+

Jun 28, 2006
    Scranton, PA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess the flip side is that Red Bull, along with NYCFC, are the MLS organizations that with their parent companies have the most experience in the workings of the international transfer market.

21. coachd24

coachd24 Member

Feb 22, 2013
    Club:
    RC Lens
    I think that's one of the issues with RB and NYC. The $$ that those organizations already have is crazy so they can be a little selfish. The way RB is doing nothing to strengthen the team to make an MLS Cup run shows that it is just there to get good young players in the RB system before possibly being sold to Salzburg or Leipzig for nothing. If it was a smaller independent team 4-6M could do a lot in terms of the youth system and they would be more inclined to sell. With a salary cap and a fairly infinite amount of resources there's not much incentive to sell Long for less than 15M which I understand.....and hate.

Midas Mulligan and Winoman repped this.
  22. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He played in Italy and pretty well outside a minor mental lapse at the end which led to a goal.

Also, there had to have been plenty of eyes on the Gold Cup final against Mexico. No shortage of players on quality clubs in Europe or on their radar.

TarHeels17 repped this.
  23. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Of course he signed the contract. He had a substantial time to go and wasn't even making six figures.

Obviously he'd need a WP to play in England. Ideally they'd get that squared away from the outset, otherwise they'd have to delay the transfer or loan him out.

24. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or maybe also that the US U-20s just beat France and the USMNT tied the full French national team in their pre-world cup send-off......

recent results could be helping the French view of the american player...apparently miazga's performance in the French game had something to do with his Nantes loan....

25. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Some background on Long and the long-awaited transfer to Europe:

https://www.si.com/soccer/2019/09/04/aaron-long-usmnt-new-york-red-bulls-transfer-europe

In January 2016, the Red Bulls sent 20-year-old center back Matt Miazga to Chelsea for $3.5 million. Adams, regarded by many as a future USA linchpin, made an in-house move to RB Leipzig for $3 million. That’s the same amount that West Ham United offered the Red Bulls in July for Long. It was rejected. An unidentified French club upped the ante to $4 million. That would tie the record for a transfer fee paid for an MLS defender. The Red Bulls weren't interested.

Long acknowledged his frustration. Meanwhile, the club was caught between competing missions. Yes, the Red Bulls have a proven knack for developing players and identifying talent and, yes, participating in the transfer market should be a vital component of every MLS team’s mission. But there’s only so much pride New York fans can take in knowing their club is where careers are born but not always where they blossom. From Tim Howard, Jozy Altidore and Michael Bradley to Tim Ream, Adams and Miazga, New York is known more for transfers than for titles.

The club is starved for the latter (Supporters' Shields are nice, but it’s not a championship of anything), and you can’t hang a transfer fee from the rafters. Selling a top player requires the development or acquisition of a replacement. That’s not always a given, even at Red Bull. Doing so in short order, with the playoffs approaching, represents an especially tough sell for a club with multiple constituencies. There’s the player and the market. But there’s also the fans, sponsors and community who have been through more on-field heartbreak than any others in MLS.