Euro 2020 Qualifying Official Thread

Discussion in 'Italy: National Teams' started by Mean Machine, Dec 1, 2018.

1. calabrese8

calabrese8 Member+

Feb 9, 2008
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    3 certainties in life....

Death, Taxes, and the Portuguese inferiority complex.

Rosay repped this.
  2. UdineseFan98

UdineseFan98 Member

Mar 12, 2017
    St. Catherines, ON
    Club:
    Udinese Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    That is the stupidest ******* thing that I have read

Rosay and calabrese8 repped this.
  3. UdineseFan98

UdineseFan98 Member

Mar 12, 2017
    St. Catherines, ON
    Club:
    Udinese Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I mean if you are uttering threats, that is a crime. Give up the act.

Stamos repped this.
  4. UdineseFan98

UdineseFan98 Member

Mar 12, 2017
    St. Catherines, ON
    Club:
    Udinese Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    You realize that his entire response was based of his lack of reading comprehension.

5. Joe Martelo

Joe Martelo Red Card

CDC Montalegre
    Portugal
    Sep 30, 2019
    I've seen my team win both EURO and NATIONS LEAGUE.
    Nations League > Euro.

6. gumbacicc

gumbacicc Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    USA
    Literally no one else thinks the Nations League is more important than the Euros. Credit for winning the Euros (in the most boring, negative fashion we've seen in a long time), but no one gives a shit that you won the Nations League that is little more than a glorified friendlies tournament. It's like celebrating winning the International Champions Cup for a club side.

7. Joe Martelo

Joe Martelo Red Card

CDC Montalegre
    Portugal
    Sep 30, 2019
    #1157 Joe Martelo, Jan 9, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2020
    We won the euros and had to survive 7 games and multiple overtime periods, as well as exorcising the demons of 2004, it wasn’t easy. People at the time said we had an easy route but we defeated Croatia and France (at home) who contested the World Cup final 2 years after.

If you watched most games Portugal
    Actually played well in most games and was unlucky to draw all three games in the group stages. You should stop believing the English press and watch games objectively, they have hated Portugal for a long time. It’s also worth pointing out that Portugal reached the semis in 2000 and 2012, and the final in 2004, so winning in 2016 wasn’t a surprise and it won’t be when we win again in 2020. The euro is Our tournament. We also reached the semis in 1984 when our team was a rank outsider. We tend to flop on the world stage.

They played well as a team in 2016 and Ronaldo was a good leader.

8. gumbacicc

gumbacicc Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    USA
    I didn't say it was easy. I said it was boring, negative football--the type of football the Portuguese used to criticize Italy for before adopting it themselves. I could care less about the English press. I am judging based on my own observations of the team.

calabrese8 repped this.
  9. Pietro Calcio

Pietro Calcio Member+

Jul 28, 2007
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    You're forgetting Portugal reaching the semi in 2006 against France

10. Joe Martelo

Joe Martelo Red Card

CDC Montalegre
    Portugal
    Sep 30, 2019
    Yeah I was only
    Speaking about Euros. Unfortunately we suck at world cups. I guess we reach the semis about once every 40 years.

I think Italy has the conditions to make a good tournament though.

Pietro Calcio repped this.
  11. Mean Machine

Mean Machine Member+

May 23, 2018
    By no means is the Nations League bigger than the Euro. I'm not even sure how many teams are that serious about the nations league.

However, Portugal is definitely a top team in Europe. They won Euro 2016 and while it was not pretty they got the job done. Also Ronaldo was at 50% maximum for most of that tournament. Would've been even better if Ronaldo was fully fit.

12. johnny6

johnny6 Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    Jun 29, 2011
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Nations league has about the same amount of substance as the confederations cup which is zero.

Stamos and calabrese8 repped this.
  13. calabrese8

calabrese8 Member+

Feb 9, 2008
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    might as well rest your players during the Euros so they can be fresh for the nations league next fall.. .since it's so important to you LOL

johnny6 and Stamos repped this.
  14. Stamos

Stamos Member

Apr 6, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Man, he's 6'4 though. I wouldnt mess around:ROFLMAO: (talk about a dumbass...)

Nations Cup over the Euros lol geez, how'd this forum get populated by ignorant Portuguese? Smells like sh!t in here. Yuck.

Rosay repped this.
  15. Stamos

Stamos Member

Apr 6, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Looks like Zaniolo out for the Euros. ********.

UdineseFan98 and falvo repped this.
  16. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Sad. Who else is in that position?

17. Joe Martelo

Joe Martelo Red Card

CDC Montalegre
    Portugal
    Sep 30, 2019
    If you are fortunate enough to one day see your team win nations league, you will see what I mean. It is a special tournament. For me it was good as it came after my recent divorce and was a pick me up. I had some wine and alcohol with family and friends.

Also, no such thing as ignorant Portuguese we are usually highly educated and very intelligent.

Stamos repped this.
  18. Stamos

Stamos Member

Apr 6, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Glad it came at a good time for you and I appreciate the respectful reply. My original comment was intended for your buddy, not you.

With that said, I think we'd all appreciate this thread be focused on the Italian national side.

All the best to you, sir.

Pietro Calcio repped this.
  19. UdineseFan98

UdineseFan98 Member

Mar 12, 2017
    St. Catherines, ON
    Club:
    Udinese Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Absolutely gutted. He is so good man. That run was something special. Hopefully he gets healthy and will be back to his best. What a player

calabrese8 and Rosay repped this.
  20. Nek Sanalet

Nek Sanalet Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    Dec 30, 2013
    NYC
    Club:
    AC Milan
    It's a huge loss for Roma and also the national team. I think Zaniolo had a good shot at starting on the wing this summer at the Euro's....

Berna: Played out of position this year, sucked, and is now rotting on the bench.
    Insigne: Has not played well, and has had some off the field issues with management.
    Chiesa: Seems unhappy at Fiorentina and hasn't been great this year. Not giving 100% and his form has dipped.
    Berardi: Has faded and continues to have disciplinary issues.
    El Shaaraway: Plays in China. Who knows what shape he's in at this point.

Zaniolo deserved to start over all 5 of the players above.

21. calabrese8

calabrese8 Member+

Feb 9, 2008
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    If the pork chops are still lurking in here and wishing they were Italian ....

for reference Zaniolo > Joao Felix

Stamos, UdineseFan98 and Rosay repped this.
  22. johnny6

johnny6 Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    Jun 29, 2011
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Players are rarely the same after major knee injuries, he's young but so was Giuseppe Rossi...

23. 'Uaglio

'Uaglio Member+

Jun 8, 2004
    NYC
    I disagree. Rossi is the victim of multiple horrible knee injuries. One ACL at 20 year old doesn't have to mean the end. Sports medicine has advanced so much. I remember in the 90s...an ACL tear meant AT LEAST at 12 month recovery. Things changed after Rod Woodson of the Steelers. He was was one of the pioneers of coming back early. He tore his ACL in Sep of 1995. He came back to play in the Superbowl just 5 months later.

Lots of people, including Mancini, have hope that Zaniolo will resume training in April/May and be ready for mid-June. I think he can make it if he wants it badly enough. Imagine the opportunity to play the European Cup in front of your home fans? That doesn't happen to often.

The irony is that we do have a lot of talented wingers in Italy right now. Berna, Insigne, or Chiesa could do the job and do it quite well. Although Chiesa has had some recent struggles at Fiorentina, I think he'll get hot before the end of the season.

I do, however, want Zaniolo back pretty badly. It is very rare in calcio to be 6'3 174 and run like a gazelle. Zaniolo has that along with tremendous skill and great finishing ability. If he has his head on right, he can be the best player in the world someday. IF HE WANTS IT BADLY ENOUGH.

I think we should wait for him...and if he really works hard enough...let's take him to Euro 2020. Forza Nicolo`!

24. UdineseFan98

UdineseFan98 Member

Mar 12, 2017
    St. Catherines, ON
    Club:
    Udinese Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Honestly, that is what I was thinking of as it was happening. I am hoping it isn't going to be like that.

25. Stamos

Stamos Member

Apr 6, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Mancini has stated he will wait for Zaniolo. So it'll just now be in both his and good fortune's hands if he can make it in time for the Euro.

Rosay, calabrese8 and gumbacicc repped this.