Euro 2020 Qualifying Official Thread

Discussion in 'Italy: National Teams' started by Mean Machine, Dec 1, 2018.

1. indestructible

indestructible Member+

SSC Napoli
    Jan 14, 2007
    Mercato Professor
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Italy test new 4-2-3-1 for Greece
    By Football Italia staff
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Italy tested out their 4-2-3-1 formation to face Greece in Saturday’s Euro 2020 qualifier, with Federico Chiesa, Federico Bernardeschi, Lorenzo Insigne and Andrea Belotti.

The match kicks off on Saturday evening and Coach Roberto Mancini is not holding back.

He tried this line-up in the game between ranks, which has Marco Verratti and Jorginho in midfield.

Chiesa, Bernardeschi and Insigne can fan out behind Torino centre-forward Belotti.

Inter full-back Danilo D’Ambrosio was used on the right side of defence, with Leonardo Spinazzola taking the left.

Stefano Sensi has been ruled out by a muscular injury.

Italy 1: Meret; D'Ambrosio, Bonucci, Romagnoli, Spinazzola; Verratti, Jorginho; Chiesa, Bernardeschi, Insigne; Belotti

Italy 2: G Donnarumma; Di Lorenzo, Mancini, Acerbi, Biraghi; Cristante, Barella; Zaniolo, El Shaarawy, Grifo; Immobile

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't like

2. johnny6

johnny6 Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    Jun 29, 2011
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Not really feeling that formation or the green jersey.

3. Alex101

Alex101 Member

Mar 15, 2017
    The national team is in a healthy state at the moment. We lack depth in the Centre Back position compared to other strong/stronger nations and can we really count on Immobile and Belotti to score goals consistently at a major tournament?!?. Otherwise I like the depth in midfield, were are almost too stacked in this position which is never a bad thing.

4. Rosay

Rosay Member+

May 7, 2014
    Club:
    AC Milan
    looks good to me. what would you rather have?

5. calabrese8

calabrese8 Member+

Feb 9, 2008
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    i don't mind testing out the formation essentially when we have qualification secured already. The one change I would make is if you are playing with only 2 in the mid.. i would rather partner up Verratti with someone who can run and plays a little more grittier.... ie. Barella or Cristante

6. gumbacicc

gumbacicc Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    USA
    I think the Verratti-Jorginho-Barella pairing has worked...and would bode well now with Jorginho in good form. I don't understand why we would go away from that.

7. Alex101

Alex101 Member

Mar 15, 2017
    I don't know if anyone has paid attention but Greece purposely didn't call up their best players including Manolas from Napoli, I think this might be a beating from the azzuri 4-0 or 5-0.:sneaky:

calabrese8 repped this.
  8. Rosay

Rosay Member+

May 7, 2014
    Club:
    AC Milan
    ya I noticed. I think its because they are already mathematically out so probably giving inexperienced players a go

9. indestructible

indestructible Member+

SSC Napoli
    Jan 14, 2007
    Mercato Professor
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Two man midfield isn’t going to cut it

10. Rosay

Rosay Member+

May 7, 2014
    Club:
    AC Milan
    ya tell that to Ventura lol. itll be fine against Greece tbh

11. indestructible

indestructible Member+

SSC Napoli
    Jan 14, 2007
    Mercato Professor
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Even vs. lower quality opposition, I don't think it'll be as successful as you think.

12. turco3

turco3 Member

Jul 23, 2006
    Not a fan of this formation. If it’s only used against minnows then what’s the point?

13. Pietro Calcio

Pietro Calcio Member+

Jul 28, 2007
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Makes me want to tear it off ....Hulk Hogan style....brother

14. Hulk_Hogan_Italia

AC Milan
    Italy
    Aug 17, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    Greece... whatcha gonna do when Belotti and Chiesa runs wild on youuuu

Who else is happy that Englands qualifying unbeaten run came to an end. They almost matched Italy's 11 year and 57 game unbeaten run.

15. Mean Machine

Mean Machine Member+

May 23, 2018
    WE MADE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Let's go win Euro 2020 now!

Rosay and calabrese8 repped this.
  16. calabrese8

calabrese8 Member+

Feb 9, 2008
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Not a terribly convincing performance but we keep putting those Wins on the board whereas in the past this could have easily finished 0-0. This team has PALLE

Rosay repped this.
  17. Rosay

Rosay Member+

May 7, 2014
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Ya we still are winning while not putting on the most convincing display. Signs of a powerhouse. Glad the boys qualified and set a new record with 3 games to spare too.

18. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
  19. gumbacicc

gumbacicc Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    USA
    I don't like Chiesa on the right. I would play a front three of Bernardeschi, Insigne, and Chiesa, using Insigne as a false 9, and hoping that their quality produces goals. I'm done watching Immobile run around and be useless for 90 minutes--and Belotti hasn't shown that he's much better.

You have to give credit to the midfielders in possession as we reached numbers of roughly 80 percent at times yesterday. With those three and guys like Sensi available, we're in good shape there.

If we get Chiellini back for the Euros, I'm starting to believe we compete, even without a true #9.

Stamos repped this.
  20. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Its hard to believe it was just two years ago Italy was eliminated from the 2018 WC but that was a fluke. I knew then they had what it takes to qualify for any tournament with the right coaching and players.

Italy can , must and will qualify for any WC or Euro.....

21. Rosay

Rosay Member+

May 7, 2014
    Club:
    AC Milan
    ya it was definitely a fluke. you play those same 2 games 100 times and Italy goes thru over Sweden 80-90% of the time. Sweden just had a fluke

22. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I’ll do one better, as soon as Italy qualifies for a given tournament, they will always be considered one of the favorites to make the quarter and semifinals. Maybe winning it all takes an extra step or special player but they will always be considered among the top teams.

23. Rosay

Rosay Member+

May 7, 2014
    Club:
    AC Milan
    ya its because they have 4 world cups and a Euro. that's an illustrious and decorated history rich in winning. plus they have a top domestic league so why wouldn't they be considered one of the teams to go deep.

24. Deleted User x

Deleted User x Member+

Mar 21, 2006
    You guys are reaching a bit far. They had two games to beat Sweden and couldn't score a single goal. The better team advanced.

Midfield General repped this.
  25. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    That team that faced Sweden though was clearly not that good. I didn't believe at the time that Ventura could not have picked a better all Italian Serie A team. I doubt the Italian player as a rule has magically changed or gotten better.

So what exactly has changed in 2 years?

It all goes back to coaching tactics and selecting the right combination of players.