News: EURO 2017 - Vivianne M. Adoration and Qualifiers Thread

Discussion in 'Women's International' started by White/Blue_since1860, Dec 5, 2014.

?

Who will win?

1. Germany

3 vote(s)
    11.5%
  2. Germany B

4 vote(s)
    15.4%
  3. not Germany

19 vote(s)
    73.1%
  1. Thomsen

Thomsen Member+

Aug 6, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    i meant semi final

2. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Heartbreaking news out of Arsenal- Little tore her ACL and will miss the Euros for Scotland.

gricio61 and blissett repped this.
  3. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    This is really unfortunate. :(

Although Scotland would have very unlikely made any result anyway at these Euros, it's a shame not seeing Little in a tournament that should showcase the crop of the cream of continental talents (and she's for sure part of this number).

Also, I am sad in general for this stop in her career.

Since season 2016 was arguably her worst in the last 4-5 years at least, I can't help wondering if it couldn't be a case that she already wasn't physically at her best... :cautious:

gricio61 repped this.
  4. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    The first time Scotland make a big international tournament... and she's out with injury. That sucks so much. Hopefully she has another 4yrs in her to get back to the 2021 EUROs. It would suck if she was the best player ever to never get her country to a major tournament. (And I'm specifically talking about Scotalnd; TeamGB in 2012 is an anomaly I'm not counting here.)

blissett repped this.
  5. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid

shouldn't that honor go to Jesse Fishlock? With or without LIttle, Scotland has been perennial underachievers for what looks like a strong lineup on paper;

Ross & Weir were the #2 & 3 goalscorers in last year's English WPS league. Lisa Evans has been a standout winger for years in the Bundesliga. Both CB's Corsie & Beattie have reputable creds, being on several championship club teams. Dieke experience goes way back to playing with the Boston Breakers & Chicago Red Stars(from the old WPS league). Lauder was a one time leading score of the Finnish league. Glasgow City(where most of the rest of the squad plays for) made it to the CL semis a few years back.

in the meantime Fishlock has almost nobody on that Welsh squad, save for Harding, an above average player for Liverpool

6. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Wales has a lower floor than Scotland has, yes - but, seeing Fishlock and Little on the same teams for a few years in both the USA and Australia shows that Little was the better player, supported by the fact that she has more accolades from when the two weren't on the same club team. So yes, Scotland as a team maybe should have been in big international tournaments more often, while Wales has always been out of the discussion. But that doesn't stop the fact that both teams have never been to a big international competition until SCO qualified for this year's EURO - and Little's out injured, so that would still leave her as the best player to never play with her country in a big international competition. I agree though that Fishlock is probably #2 on that list of players in a similar situation after Little.

7. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    yeah, your right; was thinking Fishlock had a great year in the Australian W'-League, helping Melbourne City win the title(thus one upping her), but forgot that Little did the same thing last year with MC. But even though it wasn't for the Scots, Little did still got to play in the 2012 Olympics,

8. Thomsen

Thomsen Member+

Aug 6, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    I'm actually looking so forward to this tournament. I think France will win it, but my heart wants Norway or Germany to win it.

That said, it's really time for France to win a major tournament now... Wouldn't mind me if they won.

blissett repped this.
  9. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    so often it's not the best team that wins a tournament, but the 'best tournament prepared' team that wins. But I do feel that France right now has is in the right place, at the right time; It's got a new coach with an rapid, all out attack philosophy, and yet his bigger success is how fast he transitions his team back to defense. It helps though that his team is so ethically diverse, with just the right amount of balance of athletic & technical players with currently few injury problems.

In the meantime Jones is still a work in progress, as now she's playing it very safe the players she's choosing for starter and lacking imagination in her attacking plans. She's also caught up in that classic 'catch-22'; will she take in players that have previous strong creds but might not be back at 100% from injury?(Goessiling Laudehr, Leupolz, Faisst, Huth). Many a coach has lost by choosing unwisely

Norway will have the best forward combo in Europe with Hansen/Hegerberg & as good as any CB combo with Mjelde/ Berge, but do they have anybody to replace the yeoman performance at mid that Stensland had in 2013

My dark horses candidates would be Denmark, Spain & the hometown Dutch

blissett and Thomsen repped this.
  10. Thomsen

Thomsen Member+

Aug 6, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    I don't think anyone can compete with France's midfield which I see far more superior to Germany and England's midfield.

It's Germany, so I wouldn't be surprised if they win lol. I'm still curious if Jones gonna play the Peter/Henning combo, it just doesn't work. I hope to see Marozsan shine in this tournament.

I would prefer to move Mjelde up to the midfield and then pair Berge with Thorisdottir back in the defence. I'm very sad that Lene Mykjåland retired, that's just too unfortunate for the team. I'm looking forward to the game against USA before the Euro's, gonna be interesting.

I also have an eye on England, just too bad Sampson left out Eniola Aluko for his euro squad...

gricio61 and blissett repped this.
  11. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Aluko has had numerous chances to excel in major tournaments and has squandered them all.

12. Thomsen

Thomsen Member+

Aug 6, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    For me, she was really good in the bronze final match 2015 as a substitute against Germany. I still find her abilities better than for example Ellen White who is in the squad.

gricio61 repped this.
  13. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Aluko(last year's leading scorer in the English league) has been thrown under the bus as well in Chelsea, only getting 2 starts in 7 games*for the spring season)

heads up for English NT coach for using so many players in previous games. but he will be well more remembered for the players he did NOT choose for his Euro squad.

from the NWSL/American league, where they've all played really well;

Rachel Daly,
    Leah Galton,
    Natasha Dowie
    Leanne Sanderson

from the WPS/English league, along side Aluko

Genna Davison
    Melissa Lawley
    Kate Chapman
    Clair Rafferty
    Deanne Carter
    Beth Mead

together as a unit that might of been a better team than the one chosen by Sampson, and of all things; the Man City coach keeps swearing his best player is a lanky 20 year old named Keira Walsh, but was NOT chosen by Sampson, though he picked a total of 8 other MC players for his squad!

gricio61 repped this.
  14. WWC_Movement

WWC_Movement Red Card

Dec 10, 2014
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Papua New Guinea
    #314 WWC_Movement, Jun 3, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2017
    The Euro tournament is being broadcast on ESPN3 and ESPN Deportes, in the United States.
    No surprise here that ESPN2 (or even ESPNU) is not televising it.
    ESPN would rather show re-runs of college football games on ESPNU in the middle of summer, than live coverage from a UEFA women's tournament. Again, no surprise there.

If Fox had the rights, you would see this tournament on Fox Sports 1 and Fox Sports 2 in the summer, since Fox doesn't have a ton of sports to broadcast in July. You don't see Fox Sports 1 showing a lot of old college football replays in the summer like ESPN shows. Fox also values soccer coverage in the U.S. (and especially for the women) much more so than ESPN.

Fox did broadcast all 52 games from the FIFA Women's World Cup in 2015, on their main sports channels (Fox Sports 1 and Fox Sports 2, and even several games on the main network Fox station). ESPN never would have broadcast all 52 games live, certainly not on ESPN & ESPN2. Several of them would have been live only on ESPN3 at best, especially on days in which there are 4 group matches being played on the same day, which the 2015 Women's World Cup did feature (for the first time ever in the women's game), due to the expanded size of the tournament.

Here are the broadcasters of the 2017 Euro competition, by each country:
    http://www.womenssoccerunited.com/where-to-watch-euro-2017/

[​IMG]

15. Bauser

Bauser Member+

Dec 23, 2000
    Norway
    Club:
    Fredrikstad FK
    Two matches at Euro 2017 are now sold-out.

Netherlands vs Norway at Utrecht (24 000)
    Netherlands vs Belgium at Tilburg (15 000)

Thomsen, FawcettFan14 and blissett repped this.
  16. FawcettFan14

FawcettFan14 Member+

Mar 19, 2004
    Colorado
    Injured players who will miss out on Euro 2017

Germany: Leupolz, Laudehr
    Scotland: Little :(
    Netherlands: Middag, Slegers
    France: Cascarino

Who else am I missing?

gricio61 repped this.
  17. Thomsen

Thomsen Member+

Aug 6, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Verena Faisst? At least she's not included in Jones' Euro squad

18. Bauser

Bauser Member+

Dec 23, 2000
    Norway
    Club:
    Fredrikstad FK
    Sweden: Sofia Jakobsson
    Norway: Vilde Bøe Risa (I think she would have been a starter at the Euros)

gricio61 repped this.
  19. Thomsen

Thomsen Member+

Aug 6, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Awesome, full stadium when we're playing against the Dutch in the opening match!

jnielsen repped this.
  20. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    jnielsen, FawcettFan14, Gilmoy and 2 others repped this.
  21. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Add Iceland's Margret Lara Vidarsdottir to the list.

gricio61 repped this.
  22. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    gricio61 repped this.
  23. gricio61

gricio61 Member

Aug 30, 2011
    bologna
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I don't know, I think it's the first time ever...
    I hope that won't be many mistakes in the teams roster, in the page they are speaking of "18 players" for each NT, I guess that they'll include some players that won't be in the final roster, and viceversa...:unsure:

blissett repped this.
  24. Thomsen

Thomsen Member+

Aug 6, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Who would you like to see win the Euro's? Obviously I want Norway to win it, but Germany is in my heart forever so I have two teams to cheer on!

I fear Sweden will get far tho with their boring football );