News: EURO 2017 - Vivianne M. Adoration and Qualifiers Thread

Discussion in 'Women's International' started by White/Blue_since1860, Dec 5, 2014.

?

Who will win?

1. Germany

3 vote(s)
    11.5%
  2. Germany B

4 vote(s)
    15.4%
  3. not Germany

19 vote(s)
    73.1%
  1. AndyHE

AndyHE Member

Sep 12, 2015
    Norway
    Club:
    SK Brann Bergen
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    I have no idea how they factored the current cycle into those number though. Do they divide the 6 matches played by 8 or just 6?

Couldn't be arsed to go look up the results of the previous cycles either, good effort there!

2. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Well, one would hope that live rankings wouldn't try dividing by game-yet-to-be-played. However, if they had been dividing by 8 already, then adding in points for their two most recent games would make the current result go up even more, not go down like I had it...

Anyway, what I decided to do was find what the contribution of the first six games of this cycle would be for each team and subtract that from the posted June total value to give a single "historical" number. That should eliminate any error I might've done while trying to crunch all those numbers for the two previous cycles. Then I can just swap the first-six-game number for the current cycle out and put the full-eight-game number in - much fewer moving pieces.

England should've had a 38.671 for the first-six number, meaning it contributes 15.468 to the posted June value. This leaves the "historical" at 24.104, (I had it at 23.656,) so when we add back the full-eight contribution of 0.4*39.442 we get 39.881

Sweden should've had a 41.417 for the first-six number, meaning it contributes 16.567 to the posted June value. This leaves the "historical" at 23.737, (I had it at 22.709,) so when we add back the full-eight contribution of 0.4*37.440 we get 38.713

If Sweden had instead won 2-0 in Denmark instead of lost 2-0, we would instead add a full-eight contribution of 0.4*41.441, getting 40.314. So yes, that loss did make a difference in that sense.

BlueCrimson repped this.
  3. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Great stuff, that was more or less what I had calculated hence my suggestion that the last game cost Denmark dear, except I had some numbers wrong... I mean excel does not make mistakes, probably my formula in the cells.
    I see I did not take into account the Sweden 13' cycle as they were the hosts, I misread the calculation process.

4. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    A reminder of the schedule

The final tournament will be played from 16 July to 6 August.

Draw
    8 November, Luxor Theatre, Rotterdam

Venues
    Breda: Stadium Rat Verlegh
    Deventer: Stadium De Adelaarshorst
    Doetinchem: Stadium De Vijverberg
    Enschede: FC Twente Stadium
    Rotterdam: Stadium Sparta-Het Kasteel
    Tilburg: Stadium Koning Willem II
    Utrecht: Stadium Galgenwaard

Format
    The 16 finalist sides will be drawn into four groups of four, with the top two in each section progressing to the knockout phase.

The Netherlands will be in Group A, playing group games in Utrecht, Rotterdam and Tilburg. Each team will play their three group games in three different venues. Enschede hosts a semi-final and the final.

MATCH SCHEDULE - KO times tbc
    Group stage:
    Match one

Sunday 16 July: Netherlands v A2 (Utrecht), A3 v A4 (Doetinchem)
    Monday 17 July: B1 v B2 (Breda), B3 v B4 (Rotterdam)
    Tuesday 18 July: C1 v C2 (Tilburg), C3 v C4 (Deventer)
    Wednesday 19 July: D1 v D2 (Utrecht), D3 v D4 (Doetinchem)

Match two
    Thursday 20 July: Netherlands v A3 (Rotterdam), A2 v A4 (Breda)
    Friday 21 July: B1 v B3 (Tilburg), B2 v B4 (Deventer)
    Saturday 22 July: C1 v C3 (Utrecht), C2 v C4 (Doetinchem)
    Sunday 23 July: D1 v D3 (Breda), D2 v D4 (Rotterdam)

Match three
    Monday 24 July: A4 v Netherlands (Tilburg), A2 v A3 (Deventer)
    Tuesday 25 July: B4 v B1 (Utrecht), B2 v B3 (Doetinchem)
    Wednesday 26 July: C4 v C1 (Breda), C2 v C3 (Rotterdam)
    Thursday 27 July: D4 v D1 (Tilburg), D2 v D3 (Deventer)

Quarter-finals:
    Saturday 29 July: Winner A v Runner-up B (QF1, Doetinchem), Winner B v Runner-up A (QF2, Rotterdam)
    Sunday 30 July: Winner C v Runner-up D (QF3, Tilburg), Winner D v Runner-up C (QF4, Deventer)

Semi-finals:
    Thursday 3 August: QF1 v QF4 (Enschede), QF2 v QF3 (Breda)

Final:
    Sunday 6 August (Enschede)

And in term of seading as discussed in previous posts, it should look like this :

Pot 1

Netherlands, Germany, France, England

Pot 2

Sweden etc...

The final UEFA WNT ranking will be published probably after the Portugal v Romania play-off

gricio61 repped this.
  5. kolabear

kolabear Member+

Nov 10, 2006
    los angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm guessing Denmark's win over Sweden will probably lift their coefficient so they're not one of the bottom four teams in the draw? Otherwise, oof - Denmark would be a tough team to have as the #4 seed in your group.

(Scotland, Russia, and Belgium all rated below 1800, as well as both Romania and Portugal who play for the last berth. Denmark rated in the mid-1800s along with Iceland, Switzerland, Italy, and Spain)

6. debzy

debzy Member+

May 26, 2009
    paris
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    I think for the first time we will not have a clear favourite, Germany won the last olympics but is renewing its team with a new coach and new defensive structure after Berhinger and Bartusiak retire, same goes for France , new coach, new system and young players who will be introduced, Sweden frankly I don't believe in them even with their second place at Rio.
    I watched Begium vs England and despite the Lionesses won, Belgium was the best team that day....I had a debate with Hotjam once here about how good England actually is, their victory against the very well coached Belgian reinforced my conviction that they have two super talented players (Carney and Bronze) who basically are their "go-to-guys" as the rest of the team despite being good/very good just can't play together and is not even their fault but the football education they have had was sooo poor.
    I really like Spain who I said four years ago they'll be ready to challenge any one around the globe soon...super talented team very enjoyable to watch but the only problem is their federation not organizing high profile friendlies.
    The Netherlands depends on counter-attack the problem is would they adopt that tactic at home, would they play the waiting game with an excited home crowd ?.....Something very hard to do....
    Switerzland, Norway and Denmark are the dark horses to take account of when things will get serious in the knock-out round and Belgium, Austria, Italy, Russia, Scotland may lack talent but have tactical knowledge necessary to cause some problems to the top dogs.
    For the first time to have a good draw novemebr 8th will probably determine the success of a country at an European Championship.

ps: If Portugal qualify it will mean 15 of the 16 participating countires are considered Western Europe......

gricio61, FawcettFan14 and kolabear repped this.
  7. FawcettFan14

FawcettFan14 Member+

Mar 19, 2004
    Colorado
    The last time Germany did NOT win the Women's Euro was...1993! :eek: That year Norway beat Italy 1-0 in the final. Germany finished 4th, losing to Denmark 3-1 in the third place game. Interesting to note (I didn't know this before) that in the early years the Euro tournament was held every 2 years; it only changed to every 4 years from 1997-2001. And, there is no longer a third place game; 1993, mentioned above, was the last one. The losing semifinalists no longer play each other. I sure hope someone can dethrone Germany this year. The odds of this are the highest they've been in a long time.

Thinking about the challengers, I got around to the hosts Netherlands. It is strange to me that Manon Melis, the team's all time leading goalscorer, retired last year. Why would she do this, with her home country hosting a major tournament? She is only 30 years old and still has tons of pace and a nose for goal (I know, I've been watching her in the American league). Seems very strange why you would not continue for another year to play on your home soil! Puzzling.

8. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Sampson got a lot of options to choose from upfront with his English NT. In his last game he chose speed with his forwards of Carney, Carter & Perris. But he could of brought in a more technical side of either Kirby, Dungan, Taylor, Aluko, White or Davison. Or even go American with college trained/NWSL players Sanderson, Daly & Dalton. And still has yet to use sharpshooter, Beth Mead or the youth sensation Georgia Stanway.
    Sampson seems most comfortable at mid where he consistently plays Nobbs, Williams & Scott. None however have the playmaker abilities of let's say Maro/Necib. So that might be his biggest problem. But with all these players to expirement with, don't look for England to look phenomally good in pre tourney friendlies(that my friend, seems to be a French specialty lol).
    Same can be said of Germany; in her coaching debut, Jones used 9 different players than the ones started in the OG finale. So naturally their not going to look all that good leading up to the Euros.
    Other teams you mentioned; van Santern had been an easy replacement for Mellis as winger in the right side, but the Dutch aren't that deep, and their one dimensional counterattacking style has become predictable, especially their defenders have been so prone to so making mistakes(since they play from the back so much). All opposing teams have to do is high pressure them at the back and bingo, they give an easy goal!
    Spain; here you answer me the question, if Bilboa won the Aoanish leAgue title, than why aren't their players in the NT? It seems like nation team is dominated by the likes of Athletico Madrid/Barcelona. Is it that Bilboa is it's own sort of entity?(like Wal

9. AndyHE

AndyHE Member

Sep 12, 2015
    Norway
    Club:
    SK Brann Bergen
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    For those of you who don't follow the Norway thread, Norway are currently experiencing interesting times! Head coach Roger Finjord followed up going 15-0 in two matches by announcing he won't be renewing his contract, which expires in December. Thus, Norway needs to find a new head coach ahead of the Euros! Hopefully they'll get someone before the friendlies against Sweden and Germany later this autumn, but this is NFF, so who knows whether they'll bother.

Media speculation about who might replace him has turned up these names thus far: Neid (please, no), Gustavsson, Heiner-Møller, Knudsen, H.Riise, Nordlie, Skullerud, Eide, Kalvenes, Sjögren, Tørum (more details on these in the Norway thread).

Fun Finjord facts:
    • Was an assistant to Even Pellerud, and got fairly popular in the media for being very enthusiastic when doing press stuff. Also handled a lot of the on-pitch coaching.
    • When Pellerud retired, the players got asked if they wanted Finjord (whom they already were familiar with, and who doesn't have a UEFA Pro licence) as head coach. They basically said 'No.' and he got hired anyway less than two weeks later.
    • First act as head coach was to eject Solveig Guldbrandsen (who, in addition to being one of the more important players, probably had coaching credentials at least equal to his own) from the team.
    • Won 72,4% of his matches. Unfortunately this was mostly against mediocre-or-worse opposition, and the 28,6% resulted in missing out on the Olympics and lacklustre performances in an at-home draw against Austria and a boring loss to France in a friendly.
    • Cited partly family reasons and partly that he didn't feel the players had confidence in him as the reasons he's quitting
    • The media got wind of this ahead of the Israel match, and poked the players about it in the post-match interviews. Couldn't find anyone who actually supported Finjord staying on; they were all being very non-commital.
    • From what's come out, the players have been unhappy with a lack of direction, especially when attacking against established defences. Finjord himself cast this as "a failure to balance planning with individual freedom", which I'll charitably interpret to mean "I have no clue what I'm doing but hey, I have Hansen and Hegerberg, so I'll just hope they create something!".

Best candidate for taking over is probably Monica Knudsen, who is quitting as LSK coach anyway so she's available, knows most of the players already, and has a very good record with LSK.

exref repped this.
  10. debzy

debzy Member+

May 26, 2009
    paris
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    #236 debzy, Sep 28, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2016
    I stopped read your great post here because a federation should NEVER hire a coach who players don't like it could only lead in one way.....I hope the NFFF learn something from its very (but very) predictable mistake.

Well first of all is Nikita Parris not Perris...you're the only one who find Mead or Stanway "sensational" like really?!?...both good young payers with some potential but nothing extraordinary , the best English youngsters are Williamson and Russo by far.
    Jordan Nobbs has the potential to be an excellent deep-lying playmaker but I'm afraid she will never completely develop some crucial aspects of her game due to the very out-of-date football education they receive in England.
    By the way never compare her to Maro or Necib who are advanced plamaker...the famousN10 role , meneur de jeu as we say in French....is like comparing Xavi or Pirlo to Zidane , footballistically impossible.
    Secondly, is Shanice van de Sanden not Santern.....and for Spain, I'm not an expert like @Patchouli and Bilbao winning the league was a surprise for me too, I saw some of their friendlies in France last summer and they didn't really impressed me....

11. WWC_Movement

WWC_Movement Red Card

Dec 10, 2014
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Papua New Guinea
    That's a great picture of Hegerberg for your profile

[​IMG]
    "I have no cavities .... yet"

12. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    #238 hotjam2, Sep 29, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2016
    This is why I think Germany will win the Euros once again; they're ability to bring up new top quality players year after year.
    Introducing their new 18 year superstar, Lea Schuller

Has yet to play for the senior NT, but most likely will after the u20 WC is over. Combining athleticism(something you don't see often from Germany) with great technique, she's got 3 goals in 3 games so far in the Bundesliga

Intersting too, the little girl that dribbled
    down for the assist, Linda Dallmann, I've been hyping her for years as one of the Bundesliga's best players. Well finally she made the senior NT thanks to Jones. She's all ready 22, what took them so long? Lol

gricio61 repped this.
  13. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pots for the draw:

Pot 1: Netherlands, Germany, France, England
    Pot 2: Norway, Sweden, Spain, Switzerland
    Pot 3: Italy, Iceland, Scotland, Denmark
    Pot 4: Austria, Belgium, Russia, Portugal/Romania

14. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    I amazed Norway also overtook Sweden alongside England.
    Sweden really f'ed up with that defeat to Danemark.

15. kolabear

kolabear Member+

Nov 10, 2006
    los angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nobody's paying attention to the battle for the last spot? Am I supposed to avoid spoilers?

For today's match in Portugal, use your mouse over to show result. 2nd leg is in Romania on Tuesday, I believe:

Result
    Portugal 0-0 Romania

Portugal's Claudia Neto had an early PK go off the post

Lechus7 and blissett repped this.
  16. gricio61

gricio61 Member

Aug 30, 2011
    bologna
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I watched the last 30' after Japan - North Korea, and, I am sorry to say, the difference in quality play has been striking...:oops:...the U-17 (at least THOSE U-17) could teach a thing or two (or three, or four...) to these senior...
    At least the 2nd should be thrilling, from what I saw the chances are 50/50.

blissett and debzy repped this.
  17. debzy

debzy Member+

May 26, 2009
    paris
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Really:eek:..it was that bad....waouw, if I was a Portuguese or Romanian I'll be crying after reading your message..
    Anyway, GO PORTUGAL!!:thumbsup:

18. AndyHE

AndyHE Member

Sep 12, 2015
    Norway
    Club:
    SK Brann Bergen
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    Just a tip, you can enclose spoilers in spoiler tags like this:

[SPOILER]spoiler text goes here[/SPOILER]

to hide them better (white text shows up in quotes, and some people set their own background colours). :)

This'll put the spoiler inside a clicky-box, like so:
    Show Spoiler
    Portugal didn't win :(

19. gricio61

gricio61 Member

Aug 30, 2011
    bologna
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I have found some highlights, looks like the 1st half has been more exciting...

Anyway, GO ROMANIA ! ;)

debzy, kolabear and Romario'sgurl repped this.
  20. Romario'sgurl

Romario'sgurl Member+

Wakanda FC
    Aug 26, 2000
    Wakanda
    Club:
    FC Ingolstadt 04
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    That left handed save by the Romanian keeper tho! :eek:

gricio61 repped this.
  21. JanBalk

JanBalk Member+

Jun 9, 2004
    Do you know if the highlights was from Portuguese TV or if the match actually was that one-sided?

22. gricio61

gricio61 Member

Aug 30, 2011
    bologna
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    In the last 30' I have been able to watch, there has been a good opportunity for Romania that IMO could have been put in the highlights so, yes, I think that the video is a bit biased...but may be in the first half Portugal pushed hard to score so that at the end they left out of gas and Romania could counter and that stint of the match was more balanced..:unsure: (the good chance for Portugal at the end of the match was from a player that had just been subbed in, I think her name is Diana Silva)

23. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I know it's nice to root for the underdogs, but let's say Romania wins, they might just then go & get blown out by every team in group play, and it will come down to a situation where whoever ran up bigger scores, gets to advance(if the other 3 teams are tied in points) whereas Portugal it it's more heralded players might just be a bit more experienced to not choke as bad as a newbie like Romania.

But anyways, Romania with the home field advantage, should do what the US men's team always does with the sub tropical countries of CONCACAF like Honduras, Costa Rica & Jamaica; make them play US home qualifiers in freezing cold/snowing temperatures. lol

24. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Now I know why USA always qualifies for WWC instead of Honduras! :sneaky:

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

gricio61 repped this.