Euro 2016 qualifying groups

Discussion in 'UEFA and Europe' started by waitforit, Feb 23, 2014.

1. Hayaka

Hayaka Member+

Jun 21, 2009
    San Francisco North Bay, Bel Marin Keys
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    I was thinking of the one called the 'Hungarian-Romanian War", which was fought after WWI officially ended, between 1918 and 1920. I suppose you could argue that was just a continuation of WWI, although Hungary wasn't its own country until after WWI and the collapse of the Austro-Hungarian Empire.

2. waitforit

waitforit Member+

Dec 3, 2010
    Valcea
    Club:
    FC Steaua Bucuresti
    Nat'l Team:
    Romania
    Ohhhh you meant that one. The beef of the Hungarians with us is due to Trianon which happened at the end of WWI. Since then we had their response to that (the 1919 war) which was them trying to get Transilvania back.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treaty_of_Trianon

Anyway wayy of topic now

3. Bengoechea

Bengoechea Member

Jul 28, 2005
    São Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    My picks:

Sweden, Bosnia, Norway, Ukraine.

4. Mauritz90

Mauritz90 New Member

Oct 16, 2015
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Hello!

My name is Mauritz and I study Hospitality Management at Åland University and studying my last year.

This survey is for the who that are going or planning to go to the UEFA EURO 2016.

My study will focus on to how much money football travelers spend for a major football event (EURO 2016), and whats the budget for the trip, tickets, hotels, etc.

This will only take about 1 minute to do.

It’s in English but down the bottom it says “SKICKA SVAR” (Swedish) and that means send the answer

Thank you so much for your time!

http://www.enkät.se/survey.php?pid=19761&mpid=e8b0cf1f06975eef6f46098c7d230c04

5. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    What a goal by Kleinheiser!!! Who the **** is Kleinheiser? The guy doesn't even start for his club in Hungarian league ... :D Storck looks like a genius right now ...

6. 1860

1860 Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Victoria
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    goliath74 repped this.
  7. Every Four Years

May 16, 2015
    Miramar, Florida
    Nat'l Team:
    India
    Norway 0-1 Hungary with 12 minutes to go. Hungary are looking good for their first major tournament qualification in three decades. A great moment for the romantics.

8. Every Four Years

May 16, 2015
    Miramar, Florida
    Nat'l Team:
    India
    Full time: Norway 0-1 Hungary. Huge advantage for Hungary going into the second leg in Budapest.

9. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    Final. Hungary wins 1-0. They needed a little luck, but they also did a good job defensively.

10. goliath74

goliath74 Member

May 24, 2006
    Hollywood, FL, United States
    Club:
    FC Dynamo Kyiv
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine
    #710 goliath74, Nov 12, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2015
  11. Hayaka

Hayaka Member+

Jun 21, 2009
    San Francisco North Bay, Bel Marin Keys
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    The corners were 16-0 in Norway's favor, and shots were 22-4. Some of Norway's misses defied belief.

I guess the consolation Norway can take from this match is that they were the better side by far, so they still have a decent chance in the return match on Sunday.

Obvious penalty (would have been a second yellow for the Hungarian) also wasn't called.

12. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    Despite that for most stretches of the game I never had the sense that Norway was about to score. The corners especially were defended very easily. Most of Norway's best chances came off Hungary defensive mistakes like Kiraly dropping the ball and the missed penalty call.

13. waitforit

waitforit Member+

Dec 3, 2010
    Valcea
    Club:
    FC Steaua Bucuresti
    Nat'l Team:
    Romania
    We played 2 games vs them. Somehow we only scored 1 goal vs them and they had 3 chances combined in the 2 games and we still managed 2 draws. They manged to get 4 points vs Finland N Ireland also by this magic
    The thing is that they are not even not that good defensive wise but somehow their opponents missed like crazy

14. NorwegianViking

NorwegianViking New Member

Nov 24, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Hungary were good tactically. They took some yellow cards and a lot of "tactical fouls", breaking up the opositions rhytm. There defence are also very physically strong winning every ball in the air.

However the hungarians are slower than us both with the ball and at running. But physically they have more strength and muscles. If we can keep the speed up in the game up without being interrupted we will break them down. But if they can break the rhytm in the game it will be hard. We must challenge them at the ground using our speed.

15. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    Tried to watch the Bosnia-Ireland match but couldn't see anything in that crazy fog. Should be a good game in Dublin.

16. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1st round of the playoffs is done:

Norway 0-1 Hungary
    Bosnia 1-1 Ireland
    Ukraine 2-0 Slovenia
    Sweden 2-1 Denmark

Pretty much all games are hanging in the balance ripe for a riveting second leg. However, I guess you'd have to say that of all the teams, Slovenia have the most to do in order to put out Ukraine. Ironically though, Slovenia's playoffs record is actually pretty decent when compared to Ukraine... I think it's something like 4/4 playoff defeats... seems like the luck may change this time. So in three days time, we will know who the 24 qualifiers are.

The draw for Euro 2016 will take place on December 12.

17. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Slovenia 4-1 Ukraine (Second Leg)

Slovenia 4-3 Ukraine (On Aggregate).

18. adam CZ

adam CZ Member

Feb 19, 2014
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Fully deserved for Hungary who were far better than an abysmal Norwegian side.

19. Smoga

Smoga Member

Jan 28, 2002
    Brooklyn, NYC
    Totally agree. Throughout the two matches they never looked like a team that should play in the finals. No creativity, no skill. Good riddance to Norway, it's time to regroup and take a look at different players.

20. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Cant believe our former goalie Gabor "sweatpants" Kiraly made it to the euros with 40!

21. goliath74

goliath74 Member

May 24, 2006
    Club:
    FC Dynamo Kyiv
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine
    Actually, 5/5. Lost to Croatia 0-2, 1-1 for WC1998, lost to Slovenia 1-2, 1-1 for Euro2000, lost to Germany 1-1, 1-4 for WC2002, lost to Greece 0-0, 0-1 for WC 2010, lost to France 2-0, 0-3 for WC2014

Every Four Years and glennaldo_sf repped this.
  22. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Congrats to Hungary for finally making it back into a Major tournament.
    My father always has great things to say about those old Hungary teams. Oh how wonderful Nostalgia can be.

As for the future, I liked what I saw from many of their U20 players in the U20 World Cup. Maybe this can be the start of something good for the Hungarians.

Every Four Years repped this.
  23. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Really happy to see Hungary qualify for a major tournament. Was in Budapest back in 2010 and went to see them play Moldova in a Euro 2012 qualifier. They won that game but afterwards talking to some very nice guys on the bus back from the game, they were going on and on how it would just be a dream for them to see their country to one day qualify for a major tournament in their lifetime (well I'm assuming they were born after 86). Gotta say I'm really happy for those guys, and really liking this new format.

Ireland vs. Bosnia tonight should be another good one....

Every Four Years repped this.
  24. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Well after experiencing these qualifiers over the past 15 months, lets all admit: they sucked! :sleep:

25. goliath74

goliath74 Member

May 24, 2006
    Club:
    FC Dynamo Kyiv
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine
    That WC 1986 experience was the final nail into the coffin of Hungarian football. Namely, I always assumed it was the 6-0 drubbing at the hands of Lobanovsky-led USSR.