Euro 2012 qualifying thread

Discussion in 'The Netherlands' started by johan neeskens, Aug 30, 2010.

1. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    I can't tell you how many but a good number of them who fled Afghanistan itself. They get a position in the army for that reason as they can obviously be useful over there. So they're speeding up passport processes to send people out to dangerous places and to put their lives in danger in the name of their new fatherland and no-one ever complains about that.

It's just weird this new right-wing populism. The US for example, hardly lenient in the immigration department in general, gladly gives top scientists a US passport. The Dutch don't do that and in fact there are a number of cases now with the Dutch ombudsman with Dutch universities suing the Dutch government for precisely that reason (PhD students chucked out of the country because their visa expired and not given an opportunity to get their degree). How friggin anal can you get, and how friggin stupid can you get.

2. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    We have the same thing here. You can join the army without having citizenship. It's further complicated in that anyone born in the US automatically has citizenship so it's entirely possible for the son/daughter of illegal immigrants to enlist and fight in Afghanistan even without have legal parents.

3. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    No they only get a Green Card that allows them to reside here in the US. Students can get a special visa to study here. There is no shortcut to getting full US Citizenship.

4. BaritoPutra

BaritoPutra Member+

Jan 26, 2007
    There is. If you marry to a U.S citizen, you will automatically become a permanent resident (green card). The paperwork takes about 3 months. Then in short 3 years after you become a P.R, you can get full U.S citizenship. Much shorter way, compared if you were to go through the academia or vocation route for instance (which can take 7-10 years).

Is similar to the Dutch citizenship? If Douglas does indeed get married with his Dutch girlfriend, will/can he become Dutch citizenship?

5. Degtyarev

Degtyarev Member

Feb 2, 2006
    Fryslân
    He has to be married for at least 3 years (and living together) to apply for Dutch citizenship. Marriage doesn't magically turn you Dutch: Johan Derksen seems to think so.

I saw this chart not too long ago about acquiring American citizenship. The quickest route is having a US blood relative: http://img.myconfinedspace.com/wp-content/uploads/tdomf/153631/IMMIGRATION.jpg

Currently the US requirements (5 or 3 years (if you're a spouse)) are sort of the same.

BTW, I wouldn't instantly call denying Douglas his citizenship populism. He has to pass his citizenshiptest and: "aannemelijk maken dat hij in Nederland wil blijven wonen." That's what we agreed upon... and all those ping-pong freaks passed that one... go Douglas. Making an exception could be called a form of populism? Thank god koning voetbal doesn't rule our immigration policy.

6. Degtyarev

Degtyarev Member

Feb 2, 2006
    Fryslân
    Sauce? Never heard that one before.
    Even in the French Foreign Legion you can only apply for a French citizenship after 3 years of service.

Universiteit Twente? Any sauce on that one? I can't find any with a quick google search. The meritocratic functioning foreign policy doesn't seem to be working right... "regeltjes zijn regeltjes" etc.

7. Big balls

Big balls Member

May 22, 2006
    Sweden
    Politics........ On a lighter note, the big game is coming up soon.

Unfortunately, Sweden are as weak away as they are strong at home when facing the big European dogs so I'm expecting a loss. You couldn't pick a tougher qualifying opponent than Holland. However, if they manage to get a draw, Sweden will win this group. Tick tock, It's gonna be a great game!

8. Dutch Treat

Dutch Treat Member

May 6, 2005
    Amsterdam|Alphen a/d Rijn
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Yes please.

:D Sorry man, couldn't resist.

9. SectionX

SectionX Member

May 27, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    sweden to win the group over holland

wow, sweden has 9-1 in goal difference in two games and I believe we will win over holland at home with our current form.

10. Quackmore

Quackmore Member

Jun 5, 2011
    The Netherlands
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Re: sweden to win the group over holland

Well, if our last game was anything to go by, I wouldn't be so sure ;) Regardless, even if Sweden tops the group, we'd likely still be the best runner-up, so I'm not worried.

11. VHZD

VHZD Member

Jun 3, 2007
    Győr, Hungary
    Club:
    PSV Eindhoven
    Nat'l Team:
    Hungary

Sweden will be 3rd behind Oranje and Hungary! :)

12. JC-14

JC-14 Member+

Jan 28, 2010
    Amsterdam
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands

A man can dream.

13. thatkid

thatkid Member

Jun 21, 2010
    Netherlands
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands

Sure, Sweden is good enough to win from Holland.. But even if it's in Sweden, I doubt You guys will win. (The best you can do is hope for a draw) We are just on a completely different level right now. Our arsenal has so much variety and quality, it's almost impossible to win against us. (Even if we play with our B team).

Actually, it should be illegal to have players like Sneijder, Robben, van der Vaart, Kuyt and van Persie in one team.:p Even the players on our bench like, Afellay and Elia are a few levels above your starting XI..

Anyway, Holland will probably win with something like 1-0 or 2-1 may be drew (that is, if you give it your all), but i doubt we will lose.

14. he so scrumptiouz

Jun 1, 2006
    amsterdam

Oranje will win comfortably.

Zlatan and the rest of their forwards always choke against us for different reasons with the 4 - 1 drubbing in Amsterdam a perfect example.

15. Paganitzu

Paganitzu Member+

Aug 16, 2006
    San Diego
    Club:
    PSV Eindhoven

Sweden will beat Netherlands thread merged

16. SectionX

SectionX Member

May 27, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden

it was a tough away game, other than that, sweden has been playing good in these qualifiers.

17. he so scrumptiouz

Jun 1, 2006
    amsterdam

I'm confident that both Oranje and Sweden will go to EC '12, but the WC finalist will win the group.

18. ifkgötet

ifkgötet Member

Sep 16, 2007
    Göteborg/Borås
    Club:
    IFK Goteborg
    The Dutch are comfident for natural and obvious reasons. Every now and then Sweden can beat the bigger nations though. Hopefully we can at least come second in the group!? We have a good goal difference so hopefully we´ll come in as the best "2nd" team. But it´ll be tough.

19. he so scrumptiouz

Jun 1, 2006
    amsterdam
    You'll be fine, I think you will qualify without the need of play-offs. You've only lost 1 game so far, while your goal difference is almost as good as Oranje.

You have more points than most of the leaders in the other groups lol.

20. vagegast

vagegast Member

Sep 25, 2004
    Herndon, VA
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Please remind me how many competitive matches Bert van Marwijk has lost since his tenure at Oranje? Thank you.

21. ifkgötet

ifkgötet Member

Sep 16, 2007
    Göteborg/Borås
    Club:
    IFK Goteborg

Well, no problem. A draw is okey for us swedes. So you can keep that straight going. As long as Sweden go through I´m contempt Sir.....

22. vagegast

vagegast Member

Sep 25, 2004
    Herndon, VA
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Same here. Wanna see Zlatan on the highest stage... [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9sdDmiv2SCI"]YouTube - ‪Zlatan Ibrahimovic backheel goal against italy 2004‬‏[/ame]

Brilliant.

23. pablo85

pablo85 Member

Jul 22, 2007
    Those damn swedes try to keep up with us. Why don't they lose against Hungary or something?