EURO 2012 Group A

Discussion in 'Poland' started by marek, Dec 2, 2011.

1. marek

marek Member+

Lechia Gdańsk
    Jun 27, 2000
    Club:
    OSP Lechia Gdansk
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    Poland

Greece

Russia

Czech Republic

good draw for Poland, could have been a lot worse

they still are one of the weakest teams in the EURO and will have a hard time finishing 2nd (not even hoping for first) in this group

2. CanStriker

CanStriker Member

Oct 6, 2010
    Yes, Russia and Greece are both beatable at home.

I hope Poland will snag second place, it will be good to see a host advance as I don't think Ukraine have much of a chance with England/France in their group.

3. Dtrip77

Dtrip77 Member+

Jun 10, 2009
    N NJ!!!
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    as good as a draw as its gonna get.... Hope we can make something happen!

4. leszek-antonio

Mar 16, 2008
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    I see Poland winning this group as long as two important things happen.

1. Win against Greece in the opening game. This will fire the team up, especially vs Russia....... motivation will be huge for this match, no doubt. I want to say that beating Greece is very much possible (as long as lessons from WC 2006 Ecaudor have been learned.... have they??? )

2. Poland CAN'T start thinking that they are clear favorites and CHOKE due to pressure and.... limited skills while playing "positional attack." We all know Poland is much, much more dangerous playing "counter-attack." Well, it should still be done vs Russia and Czech Rep. But I don't see us counter-attacking Greece. So, first game will be huge. :)

5. efexor

efexor Member

Apr 2, 2006
    Greece
    yep get ready 300 SPARTIANS will be there youll see:eek:

6. Borussia

Borussia Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    Fürth near Nuremberg
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Lucky bastards! ;)

If your team doesn't progress from this group (especially with the home advantage), Franz Smuda will probably have to beg for asylum in Franconia. :D

7. marek

marek Member+

Lechia Gdańsk
    Jun 27, 2000
    Club:
    OSP Lechia Gdansk
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    Gdansk sure got luck as far as venues go
    Spain playing all its games there: Italy, Ireland and Croatia

8. Smoga

Smoga Member

Jan 28, 2002
    Brooklyn, NYC
    It seems that luck had nothing to do with it. Its almost as if Poland got awarded an easy group, an Ukraine got better teams, fans that spend more money (Holland, Germany) and more interesting matchups. Conjecture of course.

But you are right about Smuda. If he doesn't produce with this cupcake group he is through in Poland, either as a NT or club coach.

9. Smoga

Smoga Member

Jan 28, 2002
    Brooklyn, NYC
    300 Greek fans vs. 45,000 Polish fans. GOOD LUCK with that, bud!

10. marek

marek Member+

Lechia Gdańsk
    Jun 27, 2000
    Club:
    OSP Lechia Gdansk
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    this group is harder then Poland's last WC group that had Germany, Costa Rica and Ecuador, and Poland failed to take advantage then

i'm afraid this will be a repeat performance

i've no faith in Smuda, i don't think he has any idea what the Poland team will look like come EURO2012 and time is running out

11. Smoga

Smoga Member

Jan 28, 2002
    Brooklyn, NYC
    I disagree. I feel that his "common man, no-nonsense" attitude suits him well to work under pressure - and there certainly will be pressure to advance. And even though the group is not a walk in the park, it is probably the best draw that we could hope for. I bet Smuda will have the team well prepared for the group stage, certainly better than Engel with his silly bombs toward supposed "target man" Kaluzny, Janas with his uncanny ability to destroy the team chemistry just before the finals, and Leo...who was just that, a mediocre coach coaching a weak team. Smuda's team is certainly better than Leo's or Janas', and on par with, if not better, than Engel's. I can see us make the QF, and then get totally destroyed out by a bigger and better team.

12. marek

marek Member+

Lechia Gdańsk
    Jun 27, 2000
    Club:
    OSP Lechia Gdansk
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    of course i hope you're right...

anyway, are you going?

13. Smoga

Smoga Member

Jan 28, 2002
    Brooklyn, NYC
    Not planning on it. I have a four year old who's never been to Gdansk or to a real soccer match, and would would love to introduce him to both. But this perfect opportunity to do so came a bit too early, since the kid won't be able to appreciate what he is seeing. I think it will be tv for us! What about you?

14. marek

marek Member+

Lechia Gdańsk
    Jun 27, 2000
    Club:
    OSP Lechia Gdansk
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland

whole bunch of us are going... the wives and children are staying home :D

my wife and I were gonna take our little boy once we found out about Poland hosting, but since then a second little one came and the trip became more complicated

so this (just guys) trip is my b-day present (I expect it will be my b-day present for many and many b-days!!)

15. Dimuha

Dimuha Member

Oct 18, 2007
    northpole Chicago
    Club:
    CSKA Moskva
    Nat'l Team:
    Russia
    Some posters on the FSU forum and media members in Russia seem to think that there will be a hostile atmosphere against Russia and that it will work against us. I personally think that it's all very exaggerated.

16. marek

marek Member+

Lechia Gdańsk
    Jun 27, 2000
    Club:
    OSP Lechia Gdansk
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    first of all, the Russian media has already started to be 'hostile' toward the Polish team... did you hear what they asked Lato after the draw

secondly of course there will be hostility toward the Russian team, i mean we gotta beat you to have hopes of advancing

and whom do you think the Poles (most likely the majority of ticket holders at all the games) will cheer when Russia is playing? i'll put my money on the Czechs and the Greeks any day

as to all the Polish-Russian stuff that is not related to soccer, i'm sure some of it will find its way into the stadiums too

17. Dimuha

Dimuha Member

Oct 18, 2007
    northpole Chicago
    Club:
    CSKA Moskva
    Nat'l Team:
    Russia
    No but I'm curious now.

Maybe the Poles will start off cheering for the Czechs and Greeks but it won't be a big disadvantage as seem to think. In fact I think that a good number of Poles will go for slavic Russia over Greece. ;) :D

18. leszek-antonio

Mar 16, 2008
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    Well sadly the historical problems will somehow find its way into the stadiums. Regardless, I will support all Slavic teams first, as always. Although I have a strong feeling the two which will advance will be Czech Rep (1st place) and Poland (2nd).