ESPY -- Vote for best female soccer player

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by FearM9, Jun 22, 2004.

1. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
  2. FawcettFan14

FawcettFan14 Member+

Mar 19, 2004
    Colorado
    It was down to Abby or Meinert for me. Tough choice, but I went with Maren because he is a more complete player, and was amazing in the WWC. lol, that pic of the Wombat made me laugh She looks...strange. :D

3. MichelobLightSoccer

MichelobLightSoccer New Member

Jan 24, 2002
    Yeah, I had to vote Meinert....she's an incredible player and hasn't won before.

4. bostonbully

bostonbully New Member

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Meinert is indeed an incredible play-maker and arguably the best player to grace the pitch in a women's match; however, I wonder if she should even be on the list. Sorry to get too technical, but first some questions need to be answered:

o Is the award for the current world's best female soccer player?
    Meinert is retired (she postponed her retirement to play in WWC '03).

If not...

o Is the award for the best player of '04?
    Can't be '03 since Katia claimed thn this very award last year. I don't think Meinert played much after the WWC, although I admittedly do not know.

If not...

o Is the award for the best player of all-time, including active and non-active players alike?
    I don't think this is the premise of the question, but if it was, what about some of the retired women's players (read: Akers).

(Disclaimer: Before a Meinert fan bashes me please note that I am a huge Meinert fan and have truely enjoyed watching her in Boston over the past few years.)

5. j&bontherock

j&bontherock BigSoccer Supporter

why foreign players are includid in the pool ? i thought espy award is for US athlete only.

6. FawcettFan14

FawcettFan14 Member+

Mar 19, 2004
    Colorado
    No, Katia was up for it last year.

7. LoTheLurker

LoTheLurker New Member

Dec 11, 2003
    Looney Town
    I don't think it's for 04. They used to have it sometime in December if I remember correctly but changed it recently to this time of year. I remember thinking it was pretty dumb to have awards six months into the next year.

If I wasn't a Homer *shines badge*, I'd have to go with Meinert also. eek can't believe I said that :)

I don't think it's for "all time" but just one year. I guess we could read the site and find out these questions eh? LMAO. Nah

8. LoTheLurker

LoTheLurker New Member

Dec 11, 2003
    Looney Town
    Ok it says it's for 04. Katia won in 03. Probably says somewhere what timeframe that covers but I guess it's "04" cuz that's the year of the awards but not necessarily the period covered. Eh something like that :)

9. bostonbully

bostonbully New Member

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Thanks for doing the legwork Lo. In that case, since it says it's for '04, instead of voting for Meinert, I'm going for... drum role please... Mia. Abby is good. She scores goals and has perhaps earned herself title of great finisher, but nobody (of who's on the list) has played the field -- in ALL aspects of the game of soccer -- like Mia has this year.

10. FawcettFan14

FawcettFan14 Member+

Mar 19, 2004
    Colorado
    After hearing that the award is for '04, I'm changing my vote as well. Why is Meinert up for the award if she retired right after the WWC? Is the only match she has played this year the All-Star game? Doesn't make sense to me. I would have to go with Mia also. Like BB said, she has all the elements in her game to be the best female player in the world. Abby is a great goal scorer and header, and she does a great job of it. Thats exactly what her role is on the national team. Her time will come to win the award, but right now, I think Mia deserves it.

It's too bad that this award is very lopsided towards forwards. Except Scurry, all the rest of the nominees usually play (or played) up top. This excludes many top quality defenders and middies deserving of the honor.

11. M9fanatic

M9fanatic Member

Oct 31, 2000
    North Side.
    if Ape had called Boxx up sooner she'd prolly be on the list

12. bostonbully

bostonbully New Member

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston, MA
    It's ESPN. They have a personal interest in picking popular athletes. I'm sure if you go through all of the other "Best of" categories, you'll see only the most popular on the list in their respective sports. And even if not, I'm sure the list will be missing an athlete or two who really should be there.

With that said, I personally think the lists are fun and am glad to see Soccer make the list of "Best of"s.

13. LoTheLurker

LoTheLurker New Member

Dec 11, 2003
    Looney Town
    I checked again and couldn't find anything listing the actual timeframe covered other than it being for 04. Interesting thing is that this year it's completely by fan voting and not just part fan voting and part "picked by panel." Results should be interesting.

14. Awe-Inspiring

Awe-Inspiring New Member

Jan 18, 2000
    I proudly voted for the Wombat.

Meinert is retired for 2004. How can she be considered?

The Wombat is the one player whose presence changes a game. She's scoring in droves, has made herself even fitter and has a complete game that is underappreciated because she's so big and strong and adept at scoring.

15. pillips@webtv.net

pillips@webtv.net New Member

Mar 25, 2004
    hi, I am in complete agreement with the Wombat being a better choice for the award. can you see how long those two been arround to get to there peak, meinert, Prinz? The Wombat have been arround about two years and already have a complete game, see the world all stars game for show Prinz have to depend on Meinert or some body to give her the ball. she ca'nt defend, neither can score with her head? why do'es fans call her great? there must be dumb about what soccer is all about? beside all Meinert can do is assisting and scoring goals, nothing else? the Wombat not only score goals,she also defend excellance,she also assist great and lastly, no person man or women can do with there head what the Wombat do'es.

16. Idgie_no10

Idgie_no10 New Member

Apr 13, 2004
    This seems to be a philosophical question. Some people - esp. on this board - tend to judge players by their overall-skills. While this may be ok most times, I disagree with that being universally accurate. There are players that are outstanding in some aspects of the game, and you can afford to back them up with a defender and get a better team in the end. Prinz and Meinert are examples for that. Prinz played kind-of hanging forward with the NT and in Frankfurt recently (due to Lingor's injury), with more or less success. But she's a full-time forward, not a part-time midfielder, so the outcome was not that overwhelming.
    And, right, she needs a play-maker/passer to feed her. But if you've got such a play-maker, you'll have lots of fun.

NB: I don't question Abby's ability to do defensive works, or the profit her teams gets from it. I just don't think this is a decisive point when judging strikers.

And BTW: The general statement, Prinz could not defend, is untrue. It may be right, when she is expected to play as a forward. But if you've seen the game Frankfurt-Malmoe, you would've noticed her playing def. MF after leading 2-1, and that was the end of Malmoes MF being part of the game.

17. Hamm-star

Hamm-star New Member

Oct 2, 2002
    the award is not for who is the best forward. the award is for who is the best player. and in that instance i would have to say Mia. Out of all of the players listed she is the only one who is the complete package. She does it all. And I think that sets her appart. she was phenominal in 2002 coming back from her knee surgery, and she has continued (and then some) that pace in 2003 and into 2004. she is finding her teammates with the ball beautifully and she is finding the back of the net as well. her Stats this year for the nats stand at 5 goals and 9 assists. Tieing her for third on the team with tarp for goals scored...and making her assist leader. I do expect that goal stat to rise significantly as the year moves forward.

18. Hamm-star

Hamm-star New Member

Oct 2, 2002
    Know what I find really kind of funny?.....Mia was voted only a couple of months ago "greatest female athelete in the world" yet in their best athelete section she is not on the list. I just think that is really pretty funny.:D

19. bostonbully

bostonbully New Member

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Knowing ESPN, especially if Page 2 is any influence, she is not on the list now because she is no longer "available". It must be the Nomar factor :)

20. Hamm-star

Hamm-star New Member

Oct 2, 2002
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    LMAO BB...You do have a point there. but; I still shake my head over it.
    GOOD ENOUGH FOR THE WORLD BUT NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR AVERAGE!...I guess...Shrugs:)

21. pillips@webtv.net

Mar 25, 2004
    I can't believe you did'nt have a word for Abby? Do'nt She lead in goals 12 and have seven assists.so that do'nt mean anything to you to mention? have you ever seen Mia score or assist with her head and beside did not Abby have a number of assist to Mia as well as she to Abby? are you saying Abby a one dimensional player? I love Mia did you remember when she first started out she did not score a goal for almost two years? look up that fact? Abby have been only been arround a year and a half. who else maybe beside Akers ever start of like that? just open your eyes that all I have to say? I gotta go

22. pillips@webtv.net

Mar 25, 2004

23. Hamm-star

Hamm-star New Member

Oct 2, 2002

24. copaantl98

copaantl98 Member

Apr 9, 2002
    As long as an American wins it.

25. Hamm-star

Hamm-star New Member

Oct 2, 2002
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    First off when Mia started with the nats, she was at sub status. she did not play every match nor did she play as a starter right away. also Abby was older then Mia when she began with the nats. Mia was only 15.
    maybe you should get your facts streight. Yes I have seen mia score with her head. i have also seen her assist with her head. I have seen her head flick the ball right to Abby's feet from 20 yards away.
    Let me ask you this....does Abby take corner kicks?.....does she take Free kicks?.....does she take PK's?........does she track back routinely into our own defensive third of the field to assist defensively when we are having trouble clearing the ball.....Can she play out of the attacking mid, right flank mid, or forward positions?