ESPN Soccer Thread

Discussion in 'TV, Satellite & Radio' started by Lovac1, May 20, 2016.

1. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    You can bet if Firefox broke the link to Netflix or Amazon Prime it would be fixed within 24 hours!!!:D

EvanJ repped this.
  2. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I use Chrome on a Mac.

3. QPR Kevin H

QPR Kevin H BigSoccer Supporter

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Could be worse, 300 million Americans can't get La Liga on their TVs :)

TJNash repped this.
  4. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sure. But it could be so much better, and I hope someday it is. Better in consistency, reliability, quality, standardization, etc.

5. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That said, I have to give a shout out to ESPN+'s streaming quality. I watched today's ARS-TOT match on replay and the resolution was great, with no dropped frames, or low frame rate, or freezes.

I just wish that ESPN would add some no-brainer UI controls like 15-secs back, 30-secs forward.

6. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    The stream qualities have been excellent. I mainly watch Ajax and Juventus matches and an occasional ESPN documentary. For the price this is one good deal. I'm sticking with Opera right now as it works on both my PCs and hope that the full screen problem does not appear on this platform.

I also like how one can go back and look at parts of the game for analysis of good and bad plays.

7. beInSchwartz

beInSchwartz Member

Aug 20, 2012
    Club:
    ABC Natal
    The stream for Leicester/Man City in the Carabao cuts off early. Hasn't been fixed since Tuesday.

8. QPR Kevin H

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    I totally get targeted criticisms of particular products and platforms. I just don't buy the blanket "streaming landscape" hate. We're talking about hundreds of sites, companies, programs, leagues, events, etc. Much, much larger universe offering exponentially more matches than cable has ever been able to give us. Yes some companies have some work to do, but I'll take a bit of the rough with a lot of smooth, great content.

9. KensingtonSC

KensingtonSC Still Lazy After All These Years

FC Vaduz / Philadelphia Union
    Jan 7, 2010
    Andalusia, PA
    Club:
    FC Vaduz
    It's funny. I've been streaming sports since 2003. That was the first year I signed up for MLB.tv, and I thought that was the greatest goddamn thing ever invented. I got to watch live baseball on my computer that was pixelated to hell from time to time, and the ball and players looked like blocks, but I never had anything like that before, and it didn't matter that I was watching the Padres play the Dodgers. Baseball! With Vin Scully announcing!! Live from Los Angeles!! On my computer!! Using my parents' cable modem that was probably doing just above 1.5 mbps, I was in heaven. Every year since then, things have gotten so much better. Every year, streaming has improved. The problem is that so many people haven't been here for the times when it was like this to appreciate it. Imagine being 14 years old today watching something on a CRT TV. They would make the same complaints that many here are making about streaming, but that's because everyone has pretty much watched everything in HD for the last 10 years.

Not to go all "old guy", but I remember in 1997 having a girlfriend whose parents just signed up for AOL. I remember stumbling onto NHL.com, and they had a function where you could listen live to any game for free. I remember being in incredible awe because I never listened to a hockey game that wasn't broadcast on a New York or Philly AM station. I could listen to a live hockey game on the computer, and it was in gorgeous mono audio.

I think it's a miracle that I can watch soccer from Italy, in English, at the touch of a button, on an invention that was predicted by the movie "Demolition Man" in 1993 (Tablet), all in unreal quality. I'm not saying that people's complaints about streaming aren't valid (some are), but I think people would have more appreciation for streaming if they hadn't just started doing it in the last 2 or 3 years.

10. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    LOL. My first televised World Series was the 1955 Brooklyn Dodger - NY Yankee series. We had a 21 inch console television that was all vacuum tubes!!

11. KensingtonSC

Jan 7, 2010
    Andalusia, PA
    Club:
    FC Vaduz
    21 inches?? You were living in the lap of luxury, my friend! My parents never had a TV bigger than 19 inches until around 1996. And my dad also had a handheld 3" portable TV that he would take with him to the toilet, so he wouldn't miss a play during Eagles games if he had to go #2. We thought that little TV was the greatest thing in the world. We could wash dishes and watch TV at the same time! Now, I have an iPad streaming soccer on my windowsill while I wash dishes, and I fast forward through halftime by dragging a little interactive button. Technology is an amazing damn thing.

Redbullsnation2012 and Art Deco repped this.
  12. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Right so that's perhaps the difference between us. You seem to be a quantity over quality guy, and I'm quality over quantity.

The other thing that I've thought a lot about our new streaming landscape is how fragmented and inconsistent it is. And by fragmentation I mean that each provider delivers content to you directly and in their own fashion.

Fragmentation also induces the nickle-and-diming trend, which someday soon, when we add up all of the fees we pay to different providers, I'm pretty sure it will rival and probably exceed the amount we've traditionally paid for our cable/satellite content.

And last but not least, it results in very different GUI players with different controls, features, quality & reliability. That's very different from the aggregated cable/dvr model that I think has worked so well. I think this new landscape is ripe for big improvements, such as standardization of GUI players which would have to be voluntarily adopted by providers, if the see this is a good thing for the customer.

Another idea I've had is a possible opportunity for aggregators, who would operate somewhat similarly to the old cable/satellite model. You'd pay one vendor (the aggregator) for all of the varied providers you want, who would negotiate bulk pricing/discounts with content providers. You'd have one login to that aggregator instead of dozens for each content provider. You'd have one GUI interface. Etc. I realize this idea is a stretch, and goes against the current trend, which is a bit more like a Wild West. But this idea would make things easier, and perhaps cheaper, for the end user.

I realize there's no going back to the old way of doing things, but I would like to think that the people in charge with engineering & marketing, would be listening to people like us. It's a blank canvas that they have total control over.

13. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    One of the problems is that some sites are still using Flash for streaming and ESPN+ might be one of those. On the support page it says that Flash is needed for PCs. They will need to change this when Flash is no longer supported by Adobe.

14. Art Deco

Art Deco Member

Dec 10, 2009
    The real problem I detect here is people trying to watch on web browsers, which is the buggiest way to consume video, and I have to ask why?

All the streaming services are available on tablets or streaming devices and can be watched on actual TVs in beautiful HD with minimal issues. If you can afford any of these services, you can afford a $30 Roku Express or a Chromecast or a Fire Stick.

TJNash and Redbullsnation2012 repped this.
  15. Gyro62

Gyro62 Member

Jan 1, 2017
    I like your idea of one stop shop.

Redbullsnation2012 and NorthBank repped this.
  16. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    In my case it's pretty simple. I have cable TV and built my own PC to get around paying rental to Verizon for a cable box. I have a cable card tuner which saves me $15/month and I can put a big hard drive or two for recording programs and movies. This is why a web browser becomes the critical issue for me. Because I need to run Microsoft Windows Media Center, I need to keep this PC on Win7.

Everything was fine until Firefox did something with the latest update to break the link with ESPN+ going full screen. There are absolutely no issues with Amazon Prime or Netflix on my TV PC and other than ESPN+ these are the only streaming services I use.

I agree with your general point that there are a number of alternatives to the lowly PC these days and I do use streaming apps on my tablet. As long as Opera continues to support ESPN+ I'm a happy camper.

NorthBank and Redbullsnation2012 repped this.
  17. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I just downloaded the ESPN app to my tablet and it seems to work fine. My TV PC has Bluetooth on the motherboard so I'm going to check it out and see how that works. I need to move into the 21st century and move away from browsers!!:p

18. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    If you built your own pc there's android emulators out there you can see if they run well on your pc. I used to use bluestacks but that was like 6 years ago.

The best way to go is just upgrade to Windows 10 and download their ESPN app from the windows store. But I know getting a new Operating system is not ideal for some old guys.

19. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I'm an old guy that has programmed my share of computers starting with an IBM mainframe in 1968. Can't upgrade as I need to run Windows Media Center for cable TV and Win10 does not support this. It's a shame because WMC was one of Microsoft's better products and allows a lot of us to get away from Telcom and TIVO boxes.

NorthBank and HomietheClown repped this.
  20. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    There are ways to install media center in windows 10 but it may not be compatible with your Cable so I will just say Cable sucks.

21. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    There are but every time an update comes out the link is broken. Cable does suck!

22. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Looks like Espn+ is fixed. Working fine on Firefox on both Win7 & Win 8.1:thumbsup:

Redbullsnation2012 repped this.
  23. KensingtonSC

Jan 7, 2010
    Andalusia, PA
    Club:
    FC Vaduz
    Looks like Verizon is in a rights dispute with Disney, and Disney owned networks (including all ESPN channels) will go away on December 31 at 5 pm if an agreement isn't reached. Serie A wraps up on Saturday, so it shouldn't be a big deal for soccer fans, but if you like watching ESPN and you have Verizon, it might be going dark on New Year's Eve.

The good news is that this doesn't affect ESPN+, but if you authenticate ESPN through it using Verizon, then that may be blacked out on there. Not sure how that's all going to work.

24. QPR Kevin H

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    ESPN cable channels would be blocked from streaming on WatchESPN/app, but ESPN+ sign-on is seperate, through ESPN membership. So ESPN+ wouldn't be harmed.

BocaFan, Orange14 and Redbullsnation2012 repped this.
  25. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know how much I use ESPN channels for games that aren't on ESPN+. The big events ESPN has are the NCAA Football Finals with FCS on January 5 (North Dakota State who has won six of the last seven titles against 2010 champion Eastern Washington) and FBS on January 7. I would expect it to be a big sports story if people with Verizon can't watch, and I think the NCAA will be mad if the FBS Final gets lower ratings because of it. NCAA Basketball conferences and teams that are on ESPN channels a lot could also be mad if a dispute lasts a while. Duke is Number 1 in the AP Poll, and their next four games are on ESPN. What I would like is if sports leagues and NCAA conferences signed deals with TV networks that let the league or conference stream games online for free if the rights are held by a TV channel that was not available on a major provider at the time.