ESPN Soccer Thread

Discussion in 'TV, Satellite & Radio' started by Lovac1, May 20, 2016.

1. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, usually it has an announcer talking about what they're going to preview, a translator for the interviews, etc.

2. QPR Kevin H

QPR Kevin H BigSoccer Supporter

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    A bunch of the highlights shows have gone in and out with English audio commentary/intros. This shouldn't be the toughest thing for IMG to manage in post-production.

3. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Who is ready for ESPN's game of the week between Frosinone v Empoli at 3:30am PST?

[​IMG]

Redbullsnation2012 repped this.
  4. daniloni

daniloni Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Jul 17, 2013
    Oakland, CA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The transmission of Wellington Phoenix-Newcastle Jets ended before the game ended. Tragic for the 15 people (including myself) watching.

Redbullsnation2012 and QPR Kevin H repped this.
  5. QPR Kevin H

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic

6. KensingtonSC

KensingtonSC Still Lazy After All These Years

FC Vaduz / Philadelphia Union
    Jan 7, 2010
    Andalusia, PA
    Club:
    FC Vaduz
    If you didn't watch it, it was your loss.

7. Art Deco

Art Deco Member

Dec 10, 2009
    Circling back to this issue, I recently picked up a newer version of Amazon's FireTV, and the ESPN app on this has a search feature that allows replays of past events to be pulled up by team/country name even if they aren't displayed among the available replays on the index pages. I was able to get Nations League matches from the most recent round as well as Eredivisie matches which disappeared from "recent replays" in barely 24 hours time. It also looked to go back at least the 30 days the website shows for replays, if not longer.

Also if you're a B/R subscriber, the new Amazon FireTV really works well with that app, especially for replays (where again you can search) - pushing the lower right FF button once jumps the action ahead 10 seconds at at time.

The version I bought apparently was just closed out by Amazon to make way for the new stick, which I'm sure will support this as well.

8. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY

Kudos to ESPN for putting the match with the most brutal kick-off time on the platform where it is easier to record the game, while the matches played during actual awake hours are put on streaming. :thumbsup:

9. Redbullsnation2012

May 26, 2010
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I'm content with my older stick anyways. Everything is set up just right with it. If I need anything else to beam to my TV, I have a Chromecast on hand

10. beInSchwartz

beInSchwartz Member

Aug 20, 2012
    Club:
    ABC Natal
    #1285 beInSchwartz, Oct 31, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2018
    Can't seem to get the Dortmund German Cup game up on espn's website.

edit: think it was an outage for all of their streaming

windward repped this.
  11. SpencerNY

SpencerNY Member+

Dec 1, 2001
    Up in the skyway
    Really noob question here, but what website do you use to see your daily soccer scores?

I have pretty much used espn ever since I started watching soccer 20 years ago. Now the website is an endless source of frustration for me when I’m on my tablet, phone or pc.

Any suggestions for something similar to espn, that gives scores for most leagues all on one page and also shows the goal scorers on that same page? I did some googling but can see that there are a lot of spammy sites out there.

QPR Kevin H repped this.
  12. Lovac1

Lovac1 Member

Jun 6, 2012
    I had used livescore.com for a very long time but then was just recently told that this was so last century, so friends versed in this recommended sofascore.com which has a lot more details along with highlights for every game and player ratings. Now I use both depending on whether I just need the score or more. Flashscore.com also isn't that bad.

SpencerNY repped this.
  13. Redbullsnation2012

May 26, 2010
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Livesoccertv app and livesoccertv.com is useful one

SpencerNY repped this.
  14. Lovac1

Lovac1 Member

Jun 6, 2012
    I use that to but for figuring what's on tv, so I have the score feature turned off there, but with it on, it's good.

15. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lately I've found myself mostly using Google search (and their embedded results above all the links), e.g. "EPL results", "MLS scores", etc.

Obviously this works best when you're wanting the news from a specific league or competition, not so much for all important results around the world.

16. QPR Kevin H

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    On my laptop ESPN or the vidiprinter at Sporting Life (owned by Sky)
    http://www.sportinglife.com/football/live/vidiprinter

Via app - http://crowdscores.com/

17. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I use that. For some countries they include several levels. They go down to the sixth level in England. https://us.soccerway.com/ is also good. For England, they cover 78 competitions. They even cover a significant amount from countries that don't have good leagues like 30 competitions from Iceland, 17 from Northern Ireland, 13 from Malta, 11 from Indonesia, 8 from Luxembourg, and 7 from Kuwait. Competitions include leagues, cups, super cups, promotion/relegation playoffs, women's leagues and cups, and club friendlies. Promotion playoffs where all the clubs were in the same league do not count as a separate competition, and if a league splits into groups at the end that doesn't count separately either.

18. Gyro62

Gyro62 Member

Jan 1, 2017
  19. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    They do. I also use flashscore for futbol and gridiron as well as baseball (MLB and NPB) and the World Sevens Series rugby.

20. beInSchwartz

beInSchwartz Member

Aug 20, 2012
    Club:
    ABC Natal
    I use fotmob's app for mobile and it's great with customization. Hate most browser score sites. ESPN's is one of the better ones, but they don't seem to let you filter out the small time leagues so it feels a bit clunky. I haven't really found one that I love even after surfing through recommendations here.

21. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Yeah, same here. Fotmob's app is great! And because its so good, I just use livescore when using a Browser because the interface works more or less the same way as Fotmob's.

22. QPR Kevin H

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
  23. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Not to be "that guy" but what does that have to do with soccer? :p

24. QPR Kevin H

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    The + concept is growing, the sports service was just the beginning. I think that eventually ESPN+ will be Disney's over-the-top "Netflix for sports"

25. Art Deco

Art Deco Member

Dec 10, 2009
    Is it just me or can anyone else not watch any soccer replays on ESPN+? Stuff from a couple weeks ago all the way through yesterday generate error messages regardless of device I use (iPad, Roku, Fire TV). I first noticed this last night when I tried to watch a Serie A game from earlier in November and this morning I couldn't even play yesterday's FA Cup matches.

Mikebsiu repped this.