ESPN Soccer Thread

Discussion in 'TV, Satellite & Radio' started by Lovac1, May 20, 2016.

1. portugamerifinn

portugamerifinn Member+

Feb 22, 2005
    Bay Area / London
    NBC Sports shifting four or five Premier League matches per week from overflow/alternate channels that had no advertising and few viewers to a streaming-only pay service is a lot different than ESPN moving its NBA broadcasts to ESPN+.

NBC wasn't making any money from Stoke City v. Middlesbrough on Sports Alternate Channel 7, so it put those overflow matches behind the paywall to recoup something.

Last season, NBA games on ESPN averaged 1.63 million viewers (and 3.82 millionon ABC), so there's plenty of advertising dollars coming in. By comparison, the PL matches NBC broadcast on TV averaged 449k viewers, which is obviously way higher than whatever overflow matches got or what Gold matches get now.

It does look like we're going in a direction that leads to more fragmentation and more paywalls, but I don't think we're going to see anything new with the major pro sports in the U.S. too soon. They've already got their own subscription services and are more focused on getting them on all streaming platforms (e.g., YouTube TV carrying NBA League Pass).

That doesn't mean ESPN won't throw more desirable things onto ESPN+, but it's still a niche service as evidenced by all the European soccer. We would've seen a big college football game on the service this fall if ESPN was trying to make ESPN+ as wide-ranging as some fear it will become (and still could).

TJNash and QPR Kevin H repped this.
  2. Lovac1

Lovac1 Member

Jun 6, 2012
    They won't put behind the paywall things that would cause people to ditch their tv channels. That's still their bread and butter.

ESPN+ is worth it for me. I watch ESPN FC daily, plus ocassional Serie A game, plus the NHL recap as I don't have the NHL network. There is an NHL game every day and I get to see Blackhawks a few extra times. Also, even though DC United games say they are blacked out here, they are actually not, so I got to see few of their live games too. All said, it was the best $50 dollars I spent the entire year, and I've only been using it for two months.

QPR Kevin H and Dante repped this.
  3. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was me, but I was paying $194 a month for TV and internet, not just tv. It covered my internet, however many channels I was getting and the extra $15 a month I had to pay for the Sports Pass in order to get beIN Sports because that's who had Serie A.

So now, I pay $65 to Spectrum for just internet, Hulu Live and then $49.99 a year for ESPN+. I paid LESS for a years worth of ESPN+ than 4 months of the Sports Pass just to watch beIN Sports. It's safe to say that ESPN+ has paid for itself and then some. I'm paying significantly less now and getting a ton more soccer content.

You might be paying $73 for just DISH, but what's your internet costs?

4. QPR Kevin H

QPR Kevin H BigSoccer Supporter

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Someone who will remain nameless (ok it's my sister) pays $200 for Comcast cable and internet and doesn't even have HD set top boxes. She basically pays $120 for SD television.

5. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Its not about finding time to watch the full swath of games that ESPN+ offers. But the more games that are available to you the more likely you'll be able to watch that one match you really want to see, whether that's the Milan derby or Montreal Impact v TFC.

I only anticipate watching one match on ESPN+ this weekend - Heerenveen v Ajax. And that still makes it totally worth 27 cents that I pay for it over a two-day period.

6. beInSchwartz

beInSchwartz Member

Aug 20, 2012
    Club:
    ABC Natal
    There is a fair amount of content where this is absolutely what happened. The recent England games and other Euro-centric internationals, espnfc, league cup games, and future FA cup games are behind a paywall and weren't a year ago. I'm fine paying it because it was sort of anticipated and I prepped for it by cutting the cord, but it's not a no-brainer to sub and it's not better than it was 2 years ago.

NorthBank repped this.
  7. portugamerifinn

portugamerifinn Member+

Feb 22, 2005
    Bay Area / London
    Okay, so some content that was available via WatchESPN with just your TV subscription is now on ESPN+, but there's also stuff that ESPN didn't have previously.

Yes, you could watch some internationals previously, but ESPN+ has every Nations League match and I assume it'll be the same for Euro 2020 qualifying. You could watch some FA Cup matches before on Fox Sports channels, but ESPN+ will show 79 matches and the full competition once the Premier League joins only has 63 matches (not including replays). Plus there's every Serie A match and so on. You have to pay, but you're getting comprehensive coverage.

If I can pay $5/mo. for comprehensive coverage of a league or competition I follow, that's an incredible steal.

TJNash repped this.
  8. QPR Kevin H

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    To me ESPN+ isn't a platform designed to eventually push NBA/MLB/NFL TV offerings behind a paywall -- it's a platform to show low-rated niche leagues to a) recoup some revenue and b) build a system that could one day be used as an over-the-top all-ESPN service for cord-cutters (like HBO Now). I don't think there's any coincidence that ESPN+ costs $5 and cable/sat subscribers usually end up paying $5 a month for ESPN properties via their provider contracts.

9. Lothsor

Lothsor Red Card

Oct 19, 2018
    I pay 45 dollars a month for Internet through a different provider. I live rural and for me it is either Dish or Direct TV for television.

The 73 dollars a month includes beIN Sports.

Somebody said that nothing on ESPN + was readily available a year ago.

Not so for me I had Serie A with beIN sports. Now I don't and would have to pay 50 dollars a year extra to get Serie A for the season. Not worth it to me. I will watch the games on cable.

Plus if I wanted as many Champions League games as I had
    last year that is another ten bucks a month.

10. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How do you get the 250 pack for $73? When we left Spectrum we looked at DirecTV/Dish and felt that they were all too expensive. They wanted $90 +tax/fees for 2 years for the 250 package from Dish.

11. Lothsor

Lothsor Red Card

Oct 19, 2018
    I have been with them for 11 years.
    Maybe that is how.

I have only a one year contract as well.

Actually less since it is up in February.

12. corolla

corolla Member

Jan 8, 2008
    Club:
    Olympique de Marseille
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    I agree. Its either pay it or not. Complaining will chang nothing. I rememer paying $15 extra per month for Setanta in SD only. The crazy part is I miss watching that channel. These are pretty good deals

13. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I suspect that some of the people who think the new streaming options are hands-down great, are people who didn't have cable/satellite, sports packs and DVR's. Those of us who did (and still do) can more easily see the warts of the new fragmented world of streaming.

And whoever said that complaining never helped anything, obviously never lived in NYC. ;)

14. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So I’m trying to watch this weeks Serie A preview show on ESPN+ and there’s no audio track. There’s music, when they interview players you hear them speaking in Italian, but nothing else. Nada, zip, zilch. I noticed something like this with the last review show, just music and crowd audio. About halfway through you heard the announcers.

15. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    I get the "fragmented" argument. But with each new soccer league / competition that gets added to ESPN+, the less fragmented it becomes. And there's been a shit-tonne added the past few months, which I guess is why I have a general happy attitude when posting in this thread. Well, that and because $1/week is basically nothing. I mean if you don't pay it, its not like you'll notice tremendous savings at the end of the year. What I notice more is not being able to watch a game I really would want to.

On a related note, Serie A coverage got significantly upgraded this season. Sure it costs us a bit more money but we're not paying for something that was free last season. A nice IPA also costs more than a Bud Light.

TJNash repped this.
  16. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Watching France x Germany live 35,000 feet in the air.

Yup, definitely not worth the 14 cents/day. :whistling:

20181016_124615.jpg

NorthBank and QPR Kevin H repped this.
  17. QPR Kevin H

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Up until last month I had FIOS Ultimate HD with just about every sports channel possible, with a DVR. Had basically the highest tier of cable for the last 10 years. Before that, DirecTV.

My Verizon contract was up and they wanted to raise my bill from $140 to $165 (I have 50mb internet too). So I blew it up. We dropped Ultimate, HBO and DVR (two things I like but don’t really have time for). Got the bill down to $125. Plenty of savings per month to cover streaming plans. So now I still have great cable sports TV and authenticated access to NBC, beIN, Turner, etc. with Gold, ESPN+, Willow, Netflix and Prime. Way too much sports content for me to ever use for what a lot of people pay for cable, boxes and DVRs. I’ve cut movies (which I get through streaming), DVR (also largely covered online) and some American sports access (like RedZone, don’t care).

People talk about fragmented streaming costs but there’s also some insane rate jumps going on in the cable world right now. As subscribers drop I think that Comcast, FIOS and others are trying to bilk their rapidly aging customer base. People who may not realize or think critically about the bill they’re paying each month. They’ve lost young people and are barely trying to get them to subscribe.

18. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The fragmentation I was talking about was between the various providers: ESPN, FOX, B/R, NBC (who adds even more fragmentation with it's various Gold "passes"), etc, etc.

If ESPN were to buy all the footy rights away from the other guys then there might be a bit less fragmentation, but something tells me that ain't happening! And even if it did, there's probably no way they'd keep the "low" price of $5 for all that.

But assuming that fragmentation of streaming is with us to stay, and perhaps maybe even to become even more fragmented in coming years, there's not only the fact that fragmented costs can start to add up (at $5, $10, maybe even $15 per month to each provider), but there's also the hassle of managing all all these fragmented subscriptions, plus the lack of standardization between the apps and their controls.

Those are some of the warts I was alluding to before. My Cable+Tivo setup is so simple, so unified, so reliable, so easy to manage billing wise... it's not even a contest. But yes cable costs have been escalating at a disturbing pace. And since many of us are in "hybrid mode" between traditional TV/DVR and Internet streaming (i.e. we haven't cut the cord completely) the new streaming costs are just being piled on top, which is not a good thing budget-wise.

It's certainly going to be an "interesting" next few years. But I guess if I think about the current state of American politics, this new streaming landscape starts to look relatively good. :(

19. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Whoa, you fly in style dude. Now I can sort of see why the costs of streaming subscriptions are relatively immaterial to you. ;)

20. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True, true about cable rate increases in recent years. It may just force me to re-engineer the way I watch "TV" one of these days. But I must say that if/when that happens, I'm really going to miss what I can do with my Tivo DVR (2 Tivo's actually). The new world of streaming doesn't hold a candle to the functionality I get with that. The one functional aspect that streaming seems to win on is the sheer volume of content that is available, although sadly sports content has a stupidly short shelf-life... at least at the moment.

21. corolla

corolla Member

Jan 8, 2008
    Club:
    Olympique de Marseille
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Im not trying to be argumentative here but i have had and currently still have fios, sports pack and multi room dvr.

Aaaaaand Ive live on Long Island my whole life which puts nyc complaining to shame

NorthBank repped this.
  22. portugamerifinn

portugamerifinn Member+

Feb 22, 2005
    Bay Area / London
    I switched to YouTube TV from DirecTV (from Dish from U-verse from Comcast), and I'd had the whole shebang for years. However, I've used Roku exclusively outside my living room for like seven years, so while I'm very familiar with the benefits of cable/satellite I'd have to be considered an early adopter of streaming too.

It doesn't really matter to me how much money I save via streaming because I just greatly prefer the experience of streaming to that of dealing with cable/satellite companies. I feel like I'm able to take more control and ownership of the viewing experience by paying for a grab bag of streaming services and using my own reasonably priced, preferred hardware.

23. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think you got that right! :)

So do you like your current setup or are you ready to cut the cord and dive into the deep end of this new world of streaming?

24. corolla

corolla Member

Jan 8, 2008
    Club:
    Olympique de Marseille
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    I love the old set up and have a family so I cant see myself cutting the cord any time soon. I dont love the monthly bill but while I prefer the dvr’d tv option of watching most things I also have to accept the fact that if i want to watch CL, Europa League, Scottish Prem, Belgian League, Serie A, Championship, Nations League, Eredivisie, etc weekly then the extra payments are a must.

25. TheAnswer1313

TheAnswer1313 Member+

Dec 12, 2007
    Charleston, WV
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Yeah I had to just turn it off.

Is the preview show always like that?