ESPN Soccer Thread

Discussion in 'TV, Satellite & Radio' started by Lovac1, May 20, 2016.

1. TheAnswer1313

TheAnswer1313 Member+

Dec 12, 2007
    Charleston, WV
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    ESPN+ just adding every event possible at this point lol

2. corolla

corolla Member

Jan 8, 2008
    Club:
    Olympique de Marseille
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    My wish list for Espn+ is Russian Premier League, Portuguese Liga Nos and French Rugby Top 14. Hopefully someone from espn+ reads this

3. socceraction

socceraction Member+

Oct 20, 2000
    Liga NOS belongs to GOL-TV. Russian Premier League would be nice!!

SA
    www.soccertvblog.com

daniloni repped this.
  4. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Given that its the 6th-best league in UEFA and a lot of Russians live in the U.S., its surprising that the RPL hasn't been added already. Is it because BeIN still has the rights?

5. Redbullsnation2012

May 26, 2010
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nope. I just think they are no demand for the rights. NGSN used to carry those games but after they split, nobody bothered to buy the rights. The Russian Cup on the other hand is still on ESPN3

BocaFan repped this.
  6. corolla

corolla Member

Jan 8, 2008
    Club:
    Olympique de Marseille
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    But the Russian Cup, Swedish or Danish league has a demand? Its all in the same boat of “league rights not already snatched up”

7. daniloni

daniloni Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Jul 17, 2013
    Oakland, CA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think a lot has to do with production costs. Is there already an English feed? LAOLA used to play a lot of games without commentary and Univision Deportes does the same on many of their Europa League feeds (as Fox Matchpass used to as well). Does B/R have commentary on all of the Europa League feeds? I’d love to see all of these leagues, even without commentary or just the domestic language feed, but that may not have been contemplated by ESPN+.

8. Redbullsnation2012

May 26, 2010
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    B/R does have commentary for the Europa League games.

There is a few odd Russian games that are produced for international viewing and those have (not good) English commentary. Again, Russia has been lagging behind soccer-wise/global TV-wise and their league is relatively niche to a point in which no one in US are interested in it

9. corolla

corolla Member

Jan 8, 2008
    Club:
    Olympique de Marseille
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    No ones arguing that there is a clamoring for it here in the US but if Espn+ is picking up swedish and danish league rights then I cant imagine that the RPL doesnt have bigger clubs in terms of European competition (Zenit, Spartak, CSKA, etc)

10. Redbullsnation2012

May 26, 2010
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    We'll see. It is a long season but maybe they'll squeeze it in

11. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    During halftime of Genoa vs. Parma, ESPN2 displayed Chievo with -16 goals allowed.

12. Art Deco

Art Deco Member

Dec 10, 2009
    Any other ESPN+ subscribers on here unable to access any video this morning? I get varying messages depending on the platform (Network connection, authentication error, can't play video at this time)

13. Lovac1

Lovac1 Member

Jun 6, 2012
    I watched espn fc on my iphone this morning.

14. Redbullsnation2012

May 26, 2010
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Looks like there was an issue on your end. I'd do the old clear cache/data trick tp sort that out...

15. Art Deco

Art Deco Member

Dec 10, 2009
    Apparently ESPN was having problems with its apps this morning, judging from a Twitter search. What's weird is now I can get it to work on some devices but not others despite re-installing apps, logging in and out, clearing caches and the like.

16. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I had an issue with ESPN+ on the Roku yesterday, went to start a few things and it kept saying I had no internet connection, which I did because I just got done streaming other stuff on other apps, quit the app and had to restart it a couple times. Then it worked.

17. Lovac1

Lovac1 Member

Jun 6, 2012
    I like Craig Burley on ESPN FC, but I always thought they should keep him away from calling games. They should have someone available. Anyone.

18. QPR Kevin H

QPR Kevin H BigSoccer Supporter

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Iceland-Switzerland over Spain-England on ESPN2 with same kickoff times pretty much closes the case that ESPN is trying to push as many footie fans as possible to ESPN+ subscriptions.

19. QPR Kevin H

QPR Kevin H BigSoccer Supporter

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
  20. Lovac1

Lovac1 Member

Jun 6, 2012
    Does this indicate that ESPN does not care at all about its soccer ratings, including serie A? I'm just saying because we like to look at that and analyze how popular leagues are.

21. KensingtonSC

KensingtonSC Still Lazy After All These Years

FC Vaduz / Philadelphia Union
    Jan 7, 2010
    Andalusia, PA
    Club:
    FC Vaduz
    ESPN bought the rights to Serie A to beef up their streaming package. They really don't care about the ratings. As part of the agreement, they probably had to put at least one match on TV per match day, and it didn't matter which one. Honestly, I think any sport that winds up on ESPN/2 that isn't one of the major American sports is just ESPN paying lip service and trying to drive people to the streaming app.

Redbullsnation2012 repped this.
  22. TheAnswer1313

TheAnswer1313 Member+

Dec 12, 2007
    Charleston, WV
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    No. Not that they don't care. Just that they want people to pay for their streaming platform lol

Redbullsnation2012 repped this.
  23. portugamerifinn

portugamerifinn Member+

Feb 22, 2005
    Bay Area / London
    It's pretty funny to read through these tweets. I get the frustration, but the match is very easily accessible......for $5. It's not as if ESPN bought the rights and then chose to just stash the match so nobody in the U.S. can see it. People need to at least acknowledge - as you have - the obviously strategic placement of England-Spain behind a new paywall.

When I read these tweets I just think, well, sorry guys, most things you want in life cost something. The $5 I'm paying for ESPN+ this month got me four matches played by Finland and Portugal as well as the other matches I've skimmed through or caught in bits and pieces. It seems like a steal to me.

Redbullsnation2012 and Art Deco repped this.
  24. beInSchwartz

beInSchwartz Member

Aug 20, 2012
    Club:
    ABC Natal
    It's $5 that people weren't paying last cycle so it makes sense that there'd be complaints. It appears as if ESPN is gaming the rights system. These european competitions seem to have mandates to get the best package that will also be broadly available. They are requiring games to be aired on their big network, but then ESPN is propping up a shitty game per the contract in order to put the real action behind their paywall.

I have cordcut and sub to ESPN+ so I don't mind, but I could see the annoyance if you are locked into a contract or something and have to pay $5/month on top of what you already pay just to get the same stuff you got 2 years ago.

25. KensingtonSC

KensingtonSC Still Lazy After All These Years

FC Vaduz / Philadelphia Union
    Jan 7, 2010
    Andalusia, PA
    Club:
    FC Vaduz
    Anyone can get a free trial to ESPN+ for 7 days. If it meant that much to people to watch Spain/England, they could have simply subscribed to the trial for free and canceled after that.