ESPN Soccer Thread

Discussion in 'TV, Satellite & Radio' started by Lovac1, May 20, 2016.

1. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    In a perfect world... FFS... this has been going on forever. It's hard to even hear complaints anymore. Just wait until football season when the windows are back-to-back and none are long enough.

2. LaxBandit

LaxBandit Member+

Aug 27, 1999
    North Tonawanda, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    @SportsTVRatings -
    MLS on ESPN - Saturday - New York City FC-Seattle Sounders FC - 306K.
    MLS on ESPN2/ESPN - Sunday - Philadelphia Union-New York Red Bulls - 369K.

3. LaxBandit

LaxBandit Member+

Aug 27, 1999
    North Tonawanda, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #253 LaxBandit, Jun 20, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2017
    ESPN and ESPN Deportes will televise the 98th match between the Portland Timbers and the Seattle Sounders - one of Major League Soccer’s longest-running and most intense soccer rivalries - on Sunday, June 25 with coverage starting at 3:30 pm ET. The Cascadia Cup matchup features the last two MLS Cup champions and is part of the 2017 Heineken Rivalry Week.

Adrian Healey (Play-By-Play) - Taylor Twellman (Analyst) - Julie Stewart-Binks (Sideline Reporter) - will call the match in English. There will be a 30 minute pre-match show - LIVE - from Providence Park in Portland, Oregon with Sebastian Salazar (Host) - Kasey Keller (Analyst) - Alejandro Moreno (Analyst). Richard Mendez (Play-By-Play) and Giovanni Savarese (Analyst) will have the call of the match in Spanish on ESPN Deportes.

http://espnmediazone.com/us/weekly-updates/thisweek-june-20-2017/

4. LaxBandit

LaxBandit Member+

Aug 27, 1999
    North Tonawanda, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    sitruc repped this.
  5. LaxBandit

LaxBandit Member+

Aug 27, 1999
    North Tonawanda, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #255 LaxBandit, Jun 21, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2017

“Tony showed us – and me in particular – the wonderful joy and gift that sports is. When we were in Florida together training for six months at a time before the 1996 Olympics, he was legendary for stepping onto the field with his hands raised in the air, running around and screaming out loud in the morning: ‘I LOVE MY JOB!’ As a team, we would all laugh and shout back: ‘WE LOVE OUR JOB!’ And then, we’d run out there and go train as hard as we could."

“Tony was the best at creating a wonderful family atmosphere for us as a team – hosting us at his house numerous times with his four boys and Diane, his wife. After our professional soccer careers, he has been a constant presence in our lives. Today, I smile when I see all the email threads coming through from his (past) players about the impact he’s had on our lives. That, in a nutshell, is what we hope people will remember about him."

"Tony was a gem of a human being who passed on joy and shined a light in so many places, and did it in such a humble and incredibly understated way.’”

ESPN’s Julie Foudy, co-captain of DiCicco’s 1999 FIFA Women’s World Cup winning team.

“As great and accomplished a coach as Tony was, he was an even better person. No one was as beloved and respected throughout the game. We were partners throughout the 2011 Women’s World Cup in Germany, and I got to know a truly impressive gentleman with remarkable values and skills. The beautiful game will miss him deeply.”

— Bob Ley, ESPN’s lead studio host for the 2011 FIFA Women’s World Cup, who was paired with DiCicco on ESPN’s mobile studio set in Germany.

http://www.espnfrontrow.com/2017/06/espn-remembers-tony-dicicco/

NorthBank repped this.
  6. LaxBandit

LaxBandit Member+

Aug 27, 1999
    North Tonawanda, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #256 LaxBandit, Jun 22, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2017
    MLS announced that kickoff for the Portland Timbers-Seattle Sounders FC match on Sunday, June 25 has been changed to 7:30 pm PT/10:30 pm ET due to excessive heat forecast for the Portland, Oregon area. Originally scheduled for 1:00 pm PT/4:00 pm ET, the time change for Sunday’s match eliminates direct sunlight on the field during the game, allowing for significantly lower on-field temperatures on the artificial surface. The match will now be televised on ESPN2 with a pre-match show beginning at 7:00 pm PT/10:00 pm ET.

EvanJ repped this.
  7. LaxBandit

LaxBandit Member+

Aug 27, 1999
    North Tonawanda, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jonathan Tannenwald‏ @thegoalkeeper -
    MLS - Saturday, June 17 - New York City FC-Seattle Sounders on ESPN - 306K - 1:00 pm ET - 3:00 pm ET.
    MLS - Sunday, June 18 - Philadelphia Union-New York Red Bulls -
    110K on ESPN2 - 5:00 pm ET - 5:50 pm ET. 369K on ESPN - 5:45 pm ET - 7:06 pm ET.

8. LaxBandit

LaxBandit Member+

Aug 27, 1999
    North Tonawanda, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

FC Cincinnati’s chase for the Lamar Hunt United States Open Cup next Wednesday, June 28, will continue on the national stage with the Orange and Blue’s match against Major League Soccer side Chicago Fire SC tabbed to be broadcast LIVE on ESPN2, ESPN Deportes and streamed on the ESPN app.

With the national broadcast, kickoff has been moved to 8:00 pm ET. Adrian Healey and Taylor Twellman will call the match LIVE with Julie Stewart-Binks slated to be on the sideline. FCC’s Cup match against the Fire will mark the first time a Round of 16 fixture has been televised by ESPN.

“We are thrilled and it is a testament to our fans and this city that our match against Chicago Fire SC has been selected to be an ESPN broadcast,” said Jeff Berding, FCC President and General Manager. “It certainly was an electric atmosphere against Columbus Crew and we have no doubt that our fans will represent the Queen City again by creating another phenomenal atmosphere at Nippert Stadium. We look forward to showing off our great city as the hottest new soccer market to the rest of country next Wednesday.”

http://www.fccincinnati.com/news_article/show/806749?referrer_id=2584136

9. LaxBandit

LaxBandit Member+

Aug 27, 1999
    North Tonawanda, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. LaxBandit

LaxBandit Member+

Aug 27, 1999
    North Tonawanda, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

11. LaxBandit

LaxBandit Member+

Aug 27, 1999
    North Tonawanda, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. LaxBandit

LaxBandit Member+

Aug 27, 1999
    North Tonawanda, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #262 LaxBandit, Jun 25, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2017

13. owian

owian Member+

Liverpool FC, San Diego Loyal
    May 17, 2002
    San Diego
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not sure what they are supposed to do? They have a long standing policy to not leave games still underway even if it means staying with a worse offering. I've seen them stick with mid-major football games at the expense of a big SEC game, to maintain this policy.

I understand the idea of putting it on ESPN2 but then what if the baseball game had ended on time? You'd hear the old refrain "ESPN hates soccer" because they didn't have the game on the flagship channel and instead had 30-30 and E60. Plus I am pretty sure it's part of the contract that a set number of games have to be on ESPN.

I understand the frustration, and I've had it happen to me too, but genuinely see what ESPN is supposed to do.

Redbullsnation2012 repped this.
  14. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Had they put this MLS match on ESPN2 from the get go, I see virtually all upside and little downside.

At that moment in time, ESPN2 had no live/critical programming to conflict with this live game.

And doesn't virtually every household in USA which gets ESPN also get ESPN2?

And do people really see a big difference in class & prestige between those 2 channels?

I certainly don't. Plenty of USMNT matches are aired on ESPN2.

I care much more that the game is aired as planned and not disrupted like Union-RedBulls match was.

15. LaxBandit

LaxBandit Member+

Aug 27, 1999
    North Tonawanda, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #265 LaxBandit, Jun 28, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2017

LB - The match was moved from ESPN2 to ESPN because the NCAA College World Series Championship Series ended in two games. Game #3 of the series was to have been played at the same time - 8:00 pm ET - on ESPN.

16. LaxBandit

LaxBandit Member+

Aug 27, 1999
    North Tonawanda, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #266 LaxBandit, Jun 28, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2017
  17. LaxBandit

LaxBandit Member+

Aug 27, 1999
    North Tonawanda, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. LaxBandit

LaxBandit Member+

Aug 27, 1999
    North Tonawanda, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. LaxBandit

LaxBandit Member+

Aug 27, 1999
    North Tonawanda, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
  21. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Me too... for the most part. But he seems like a fish-out-of-water when he announces US soccer matches. I think Ian Darke seems to slide into our culture a bit better.

But Champion has for a long time been in my Pantheon of EPL announcers, along w/ Tyler & Darke.

22. HDSports

HDSports Member

Aug 30, 2005
    ESPN has the rights to the International Champions Cup, but it appears that the games from Asia will not be on a cable channel in English (ESPN Deportes will carry the games live) and only be available on ESPN3. Airing these games would preempt wither "Mike and Mike" or SportsCenter".

That is why I, for one, do not lament ESPN not carrying a domestic league from Europe. When they had Monday BPL matches, they would not show games on ESPN2 during the NFL season, prefering to air talk shows instead;. Similarly, they hav the rights to half the World Cup Qualifiers, but will not show a game that does not involve Germany, Spain, Italy or England.

bigtw64 repped this.
  23. LaxBandit

LaxBandit Member+

Aug 27, 1999
    North Tonawanda, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #273 LaxBandit, Jul 6, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2017

ESPN Films will debut the 30 for 30 documentary, “George Best: All by Himself,” Thursday, July 20 at 8:00 pm ET on ESPN leading into the Manchester United vs Manchester City match. Directed by BAFTA award-winning director Daniel Gordon (Hillsborough), the film recounts the tale of the beloved but bedeviled superstar George Best.

He was one of the best soccer players of all time; a handsome, charismatic lad from Belfast, Northern Ireland, who worked wonders with the ball and thrilled Great Britain. But George Best was also the lead in a Shakespearean tragedy fueled by drink and excess and depression. This 30 for 30 film tells his story through evocative footage and testimony by those who knew him at his best and at his worst.

There’s a lot of ground to cover – from his electric debut with Manchester United at the age of 17, through the glory years that brought Manchester United the 1968 European Cup, to his adventures in the North American Soccer League. “George Best: All by Himself” will make viewers understand why an estimated quarter million people lined the route of his funeral cortege in 2005.

“I wanted to make a film that dug beneath the surface of the caricature of ‘Britain’s First Pop Star Soccer Player’ and tell a tale of emotional depth that takes us on George’s rollercoaster journey of a life,” said director Daniel Gordon. “This is a cautionary tale. It is a story of addiction and what can happen to someone who has so much at such a young age, who reaches unimaginable heights and then hits the ‘self-destruct’ button throughout the rest of his descent to rock bottom.”

The film will begin at 8:00 pm ET on ESPN, with the Manchester United vs Manchester City match, held at NRG Stadium in Houston, immediately following at 9:30 pm ET on ESPN.

http://espnmediazone.com/us/press-r...occer-star-george-best-premiere-july-20-espn/

NorthBank repped this.
  24. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for that heads-up Lax! George Best was a fascinating talent, and sadly all too much tabloid fodder as well.

25. LaxBandit

LaxBandit Member+

Aug 27, 1999
    North Tonawanda, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jonathan Tannenwald @thegoalkeeper -
    Yes, ESPN and Univision have a broadcast deal in place for the UEFA Women’s Euros.
    I don’t know if that means every game though.