News: ESPN: Interim Coach to be Named this Weekend

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Susaeta, Oct 20, 2017.

1. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Here's how it looks from Tab's perspective: Say he takes the interim tag, he's putting a team together and Sunil (thru a puppet) calls Tab and says, say, we really miss you and look forward to having you back at your old job if it's still there which reminds me that so and so said he doesn't want so and so called up for the "Europe trip cuz of such and such and you better do as he says or your old job will be a dog house when you strike out as interim manager.

There was probably a reason Jurgen wanted all that guaranteed money to manage. What's he doing these days?

2. Mantis Toboggan M.D.

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jul 8, 2017
    For the American candidates, national pride. Plus, with the exception of Ramos, most of the Americans who are mentioned as candidates for the job--guys like Petke, Kreis, Marsch--didn't have any international career of note as players, so getting to coach the national team would almost be a second bite at the apple for them.

For internationals, for one thing it's an international job, as rough shape as our program is in right now those aren't that easy to come by, only 200 in the world of which maybe 60 or so have a legitimate shot to qualify for the 2022 World Cup. Plus, it's the United States, bring us to glory in the World Cup and your name instantly goes down in the sport's history.

3. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Stupid post is stupid

deuteronomy, WrmBrnr, Mr Martin and 7 others repped this.
  4. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    Are you 12?

5. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We should try and get Simeone after the WC.

james

6. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What’s he up to these days?

7. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Sorry. Didn't mean to hit a nerve. That hurt, huh?

Red Card repped this.
  8. manfromgallifrey91

Swansea City
    United States
    Jul 24, 2015
    Wyoming, USA
    Club:
    Southampton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #58 manfromgallifrey91, Oct 22, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2017
    It's a good point, and one we should take into account. So in my opinion, you have four examples.

1. Someone with immense national pride.
    2. Guy who was really good but struggled at his last stop or in a bad spot a la Benitez.
    3. Up and comer looking to impress.
    4. Retired or out of work coach who wants to come back in.

9. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not sure if serious.............:coffee:
    Nah, not serious. You'd have to be under 12 to write that in a serious vein... ;)

10. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy

Call an exorcist, heads are spinning at US Soccer.:( And looks like Bruce is hitting the bottle. (Bruce S, member since 1999 with the prophetic avatar.)

11. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm thinking that this may be his last season at Athletico Madrid and if he doesn't end up the Argentine coach post WC he could be looking for other opportunities.

james

12. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    If we are naming a coach after the MLS season (if its an MLS coach), how much does the interim coach for one game matter? As long as they don't call in the Wondo's and Rimando's, I don't assume it would matter.

If we are waiting until the end of the European season to name a coach, it might matter more.

13. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    In order to avoid that Rimando should be named coach and Wondo his assistant.

14. juveeer

juveeer Member+

Aug 3, 2006
    I think it is WORSE in the coaching ranks than in the player ranks. And in the administrative ranks also, esp. below the top level where GOB networks of local, dug in "administrators" dominate far too much of the youth soccer level.

adam tash repped this.
  15. juveeer

juveeer Member+

Aug 3, 2006
    Problem is, whoever is elected is going to be elected by the same GOB network.

That is what people often overlook about Sunil's Klinsmann hire. He DID try to break up the GOBs but the GOBs resisted (what a surprise), undermined him and got him canned (he helped of course). And....got their own guy back in charge. Who proved to be even more disastrous than Klinsi.

So....now that the attempt to break up the GOB has already tried and failed, who will the GOBs elect to replace Sunil that will then take them on? I think we are whistling past the graveyard if we expect someone new elected via the incestuous system USS has set up for elections to then "break up" the GOB network.

The surprising answer maybe none other than Gulati! Since he did buckle under toMLS pressure and fired JK from both of his jobs, replaced him with the consensus GOB guy (who, btw, was lobbying hard for the job) and he did even worse, Sunil may be the only guy who can now go back to that crowd and say "See, we tried it your way and it was a disaster."

And it was a disaster, cause you can bet both MLS and USS are going to feel the wrath of Fox and all their sponsors for this debacle now that the TV rights of both are intertwined.

So ironically, this may give Sunil the whack he needs to go outside the GOB network again with a permanent hire. Well....that is the optimistic view anyway! Personally, I don't see it happening with or without Sunil. The best we can hope for is maybe a guy like Tata getting the job cause he has a foot on both the MLS and international soccer camps.
    That still won't please the Americans for Americans only crowd, but it may be the best we can do given the realities on the ground.

16. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is nuts. JK was canned because from the 95th minute of our WC match against Portugal onward, he was a disaster.

I give him credit for the win over Ghana, which allowed us to get out of a very, very tough group. But his reign after our 2nd goal against Portugal was Steve-Sampson-in-France bad. If not for Sunil being so attached to him, he would have been fired earlier.

17. juveeer

juveeer Member+

Aug 3, 2006
    Keep telling yourself that.

That is the BS narrative and we shall stick to it!

TheHoustonHoyaFan repped this.
  18. Borrachin

Borrachin Member+

Feb 28, 2006
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm so happy Sunil fired him as there was no way we could have made it into WC. Imagine how terrible that would have been, now we will be heading to Russia thanks to Sunil.

juveeer repped this.
  19. largegarlic

largegarlic Member+

Jul 2, 2007
    Yeah, Klinsmann does look slightly better in retrospect, as it's become clear that this group of players had serious issues, but it's important to remember that when he fired, he was in the midst of probably the worst run by a USMNT coach this century.

If he had been fired when he should have been--after the 2015 GC or Confed Cup playoff game--they could have conducted a legit search for the next manager and not have been left with Arena as the only realistic option to salvage the campaign.

deuteronomy, WrmBrnr, russ and 1 other person repped this.
  20. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And why I thought Arena was a good hire. Who knew he change what he had done and was working on the last game and wreck it all. If it was an Asian or African fixture I would look for a payoff. Since it was Arena it was his arrogance exposing itself at literally the worst time.

21. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    even with his arrogance, Bruce has rarely gone all in on a risky set up. Probably would have to go back to Game 1 of 2006 WC where he clearly had blind spots in his set up.

But even then, the gamble was to take the game to the Czechs (or at least hope they could put their defense under pressure). You know, try to get 3 points immediately in a group game. Here it was truly baffling with the field conditions and the results necessary to put out a team that would allow an opponent so much space and time.

juveeer and Honore de Ballsac repped this.
  22. Honore de Ballsac

Oct 28, 2005
    France.
    Agreed. I liked the description of our very attack-oriented line-up vs. Panama as pragmatic. I don't think it was pragmatic against T&T, but that wasn't the real problem.

The real problem was simply starting the same eleven. Those guys had low energy, inevitable overconfidence and no sense of threat against T&T. Adrenaline deficiency - and psychologically, everything to lose.

Of course, they were also unlucky as ********.

WrmBrnr and Mr Martin repped this.
  23. Honore de Ballsac

Oct 28, 2005
    France.
    Anyway, no scoop yet?

Safe to assume it's because Tab is playing the angles, and Hackworth just lost by a heavy scoreline?

Pareja?

24. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    JKs tenure would look and feel a lot different if they hadn't extended him preWC. They should have let him go and said thanks for your work on to the the next. He'd have accomplished everything we needed if it ended there. He got more people talking about the flaws of the MLS system and youth needing to go abroad. He'd have gotten us to the WC and out of the group of death. We should have left on a positive.

superdave and TOAzer repped this.
  25. largegarlic

largegarlic Member+

Jul 2, 2007
    I do think it's odd that one of the more connected journalists like Wahl or Goff hasn't gotten and disseminated the scoop on this yet.

Honore de Ballsac and TOAzer repped this.