ESPN Classic's "The Top 5 Reasons You Can't Blame..."

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by Goodsport, May 30, 2005.

1. Mglnbea

Mglnbea Member

Jun 26, 2001
    Northern California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

When are they going to show(?):
    Top 5 Reasons You Can't Blame: ESPN for why US soccer fans don't attend more MLS and USMNT games :eek:

2. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The irony would be that ESPN (or ESPN Classic) would be airing it. :eek:

-G

3. NoodlesMacintosh

NoodlesMacintosh New Member

Aug 24, 2004
    Salt Lake City
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The only episode I've seen that hasn't informed me or shown me a new angle on an issue was the one about Kobe Bryant. All it felt like was a half hour of Jerry Buss saying, "Those were all my own decisions! Really!" And I don't believe him.

Last night's one on Gretzky was great, though. And no, without him in LA, I don't think the NHL garners nearly as much support in the US. I also liked the episode about Ralph Branca. Really, I like the show because it brings up all the genuinely important details that most people throw out the window in order to make a quick analysis. Yes, Buckner missed the ground ball. But you know what? His moron manager never shoulda let him stay out there, it was the pitcher that screwed the situation up in the first place, and it was only game 6.

I'm very curious to see how they defend Marino, though. The boy walked into a team that'd just gone to the Super Bowl based on the running game. In fact, let me just post this link:

http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/Article.php?Page=57&Category=11

4. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    so they defend terrell owens and the drafting of sam bowie, but don denkinger gets off the hook?

pffft

5. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting episode, the first since Sept. 19th in which the "You Can't Blame" subject wasn't a particular person or team. :)

-G

6. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This one should be interesting, particularly considering that Terrell Owens seemed to have worn out his welcome in both San Francisco and Philadelphia. :eek:

-G

7. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Another good episode, and it was great to see at the end that Earnest Byner had the support of his teammates and coach Marty Schottenheimer. :cool:

-G

8. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The show's 2006 schedule was recently updated: the bad news is that yesterday's (Tuesday, 12/13/05) episode is still the last new episode for a little over a month :( , but the good news is that more new episodes were added for the upcoming season :) :

January 2006
    • Top 5 Reasons You Can't Blame: Dan Marino for Never Winning a Super Bowl (Tuesday, January 24th)

February 2006
    • Top 5 Reasons You Can't Blame: Scott Norwood for Losing Super Bowl XXV (Thursday, February 2nd)
    • Top 5 Reasons You Can't Blame: Sports Illustrated for Publishing a Swimsuit Issue (Tuesday, February 7th)
    • Top 5 Reasons You Can't Blame: Bob Knight for His Repeated Outbursts (Tuesday, February 28th)

March 2006
    • Top 5 Reasons You Can't Blame: Fred Brown for Georgetown's Loss in the '82 NCAA Final (Tuesday, March 21st)
    • Top 5 Reasons You Can't Blame: Georgetown for Losing to Villanova in the '85 NCAA Final (Tuesday, March 28th)

April 2006
    • Top 5 Reasons You Can't Blame: Chris Webber for Michigan's Loss in the '93 NCAA Final (Tuesday, April 4th)
    • Top 5 Reasons You Can't Blame: George Steinbrenner for the Iniquities in MLB (Tuesday, April 11th)
    • Top 5 Reasons You Can't Blame: Jose Canseco for Outing MLB for Steroids (Tuesday, April 18th)

May 2006
    • Top 5 Reasons You Can't Blame: Michael Jordan for Trying to Play Baseball (Tuesday, May 16th)
    • Top 5 Reasons You Can't Blame: Charles Barkley for Saying "I Am Not a Role Model" (Tuesday, May 23rd)
    • Top 5 Reasons You Can't Blame: Walter O'Malley for Moving the Dodgers to L.A. (Tuesday, May 30th)

June 2006
    • Top 5 Reasons You Can't Blame: Greg Norman for Not Winning More Majors (Tuesday, June 13th)
    • Top 5 Reasons You Can't Blame: Len Bias' Death for the Demise of the Boston Celtics (Tuesday, June 20th)
    • Top 5 Reasons You Can't Blame: Dennis Rodman for His Eccentricities (Tuesday, June 27th)

July 2006
    • Top 5 Reasons You Can't Blame: Marvin Hagler For Losing to Sugar Ray Leonard in 1987 (Tuesday, July 25th)

August 2006
    • Top 5 Reasons You Can't Blame: Anna Kournikova for Never Winning a Title (Tuesday, August 8th)
    • Top 5 Reasons You Can't Blame: The NCAA for Not Paying Athletes (Tuesday, August 15th)
    • Top 5 Reasons You Can't Blame: George Foreman for Losing to Muhammad Ali (Tuesday, August 22nd)

September 2006
    • Top 5 Reasons You Can't Blame: The Vikings for Trading for Herschel Walker (Tuesday, September 5th)
    • Top 5 Reasons You Can't Blame: Ricky Williams for Leaving Football (Tuesday, September 12th)
    • Top 5 Reasons You Can't Blame: Jerry Jones for the Demise of the Cowboys (Tuesday, September 19th)
    • Top 5 Reasons You Can't Blame: The Atlanta Braves Repeated Playoff Losses (Tuesday, September 26th)

-G

9. NoodlesMacintosh

NoodlesMacintosh New Member

Aug 24, 2004
    Salt Lake City
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ten bucks says the number one reason will be, "Because it sells!" thus declaring that money will be the ends that justifies any means.

10. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    New episode tonight.

It's strange that with all of his stats, Dan Marino has only been in one Super Bowl. :eek:

-G

11. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :D

-G

12. CrewDust

CrewDust Member

May 6, 1999
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In his second season, who didn't think he would get many more chances.

Looking at the list they seem to be running out of ideas. The Vikings one looks intresting.

How about the top 5 reasons you can't blame Steve Sampson for WC98 disaster.

13. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was neat that one of the reasons mentioned was the 1984 San Francisco 49ers, even though they were in the "Best of the Rest" rather than in the top 5. :cool:

-G

14. Crewbasher

Crewbasher Member

Jul 7, 1999
    The Enemy Base
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I do enjoy this show. I was wondering if they were ever gonna do a soccer related one, either the Sampson one that CrewDust mentioned or another good one, "Why you can't blame Roberto Baggio for Italy's loss in the 1994 WC finals."

15. CrewDust

CrewDust Member

May 6, 1999
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

the soccer one would probably be "The top five reasons you can't blame American's for not liking/hating soccer"

16. Henry Porter

Henry Porter Member

Dec 9, 2005
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1. He got them there.
    2. He was injured.
    3. He wasn't the only one that missed.
    4. The heat?
    5. Pagliuca should have saved more...

17. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't miss tonight's new episode, which for some reason didn't air on Tuesday.

The Tuesday airings of new episodes resume next week. :)

-G

18. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was interesting watching Super Bowl XXV footage for the first time (I didn't know until now that The New Kids on the Block provided the halftime entertainment... yikes! :eek: ), considering that it was one of only two Super Bowls in recent memory (the other being Super Bowl XXX) that I didn't watch. :D

-G

19. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    New episode tonight.

-G

20. The Double

The Double Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 11, 2002
    Denver
    How the hell did they defend Norwood?

21. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They'll air the Norwood episode again right after the Swimsuit Issue episode today.

-G

22. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You called it! :D

The #1 answer given: "It sells."

-G

23. CrewDust

CrewDust Member

May 6, 1999
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He didn't have the range to make it.

24. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The #1 answer give was: "47 yards? On grass?"

I guess they meant that that sort of kick is by no means a sure thing in any situation, much less in the last seconds of a Super Bowl.

-G

25. leg_breaker

leg_breaker Member

Dec 23, 2005
    Considering the kicks in gridiron are directly in front of the goal, there's not really any excuse for missing at any distance.