ESPN and their choice of crowd audio

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by MightyMouse, Jul 1, 2012.

1. MightyMouse

MightyMouse BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 19, 2003
    Island paradise east of the mainland
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am fully aware ESPN was trying their best to avoid the nasty chants directed towards LA during the "clasico" against SJ that they must have their audio capture pointed into certain directions as to drown out the bad words. That said, they must also be aware that doing so they decided to pick up on some 10 year old screaming "Beckham you suck", or whatever hatred the boy/girl has towards any LA player, in perfect audio screaming out of TV's across the nation.

What is particularly annoying is that this is often the case of most MLS broadcasts, screaming children in perfect audio, and it is annoying as all hell. Why can't they realize they need to point their audio elsewhere? Are they deliberately trying to alienate viewers from watching MLS games do to the audio hell? Even with them trying to drown out the "we don't give a F@** about LA" chants it came through, and rightfully so, because that is what was REALLY happening in the stadium. I am happy I was able to hear the CROWD from time to time but unhappy to hear a specific child screaming whatever came to mind at Beckham. I would rather hear the crowd than any specific person, child or whatever coming through clear as day to ruin my audio.

End of rant...

2. ScrappytheSeal4

Jun 5, 2010
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are you seriously complaining about ESPN for having in-stadium audio? Because that's all they were doing. My blame is definitely at the San Jose fans.

15 to 32 and looknohands repped this.
  3. looknohands

looknohands Member+

Apr 23, 2009
    Louisville, KY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly. Don't blame ESPN for the fact that San Jose fans have zero class.

4. Gamecock14

Gamecock14 Member+

May 27, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I think it is a group of San Jose fans, not the entire stadium.

The more annoying thing is having Julie Foudy anywhere near an actual sporting event.

Revolt, DynamoEAR and 15 to 32 repped this.
  5. krudmonk

krudmonk Member+

Mar 7, 2007
    S.J. Sonora
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Oh no, naughtiness!

6. MightyMouse

Jun 19, 2003
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No I am not complaining about in-stadium audio, I am complaining at what they CHOOSE as in game audio, shreeking children. Where the bad words were coming from one side of the stadium why not place the audio in a direction where we don't pick up little kids perfectly or a section that are not chanting foul language? That is what I am saying smarty.

7. PassionOfTheFoot

Feb 12, 2002
    Incheon, South Korea
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The broadcast picked up a woman's voice throughout the entire broadcast who I was hoping would take a full-on volley from Beckham to the face.

QuietType, profiled, mcontento and 3 others repped this.
  8. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Just like we shouldn't blame BigSoccer for your dumbass comments.

xbhaskarx and krudmonk repped this.
  9. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If there were a way to have audio at a soccer game showing the excitement of the fans without any cursing or screaming, I'm sure they would. Someone in any section could curse or scream at any time. I'm not too worried about this.

10. mcontento

mcontento Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Catalina Wine Mixer
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was more bothered by their choice of color commentary not the choice of crowd noise. Foudy's voice is just grating and makes the broadcast seem less than professional. I don't mind a woman, but please screen them and get someone who doesn't hurt the ears.

11. looknohands

looknohands Member+

Apr 23, 2009
    Louisville, KY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Aww...did I hurt your precious little feelings?

12. MightyMouse

Jun 19, 2003
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Personally I would love them to keep the audio raw and with all the cursing and what not. I know they must filter that because it certainly can produce cringe worthy moments. I still stand by my opinion of not focusing on specific people though, that kid was driving me nuts, the announcers didn't bother me half as bad and really don't see why so many hate them so much.

13. Revolt

Revolt Member+

Jun 16, 1999
    Davis, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

14. ScrappytheSeal4

Jun 5, 2010
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Julie Foudy has an annoying voice, that's all. She's not my favorite announcer otherwise, but not awful. And I can't think of the other guy's name, but he's obviously very good.

And personally, I'd like it if crowds didn't have to resort to stuff like that. That way the audio could be raw and people would get to hear how much fun an MLS game can be.