ESPN+ and the Galaxy

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by 73Bruin, Feb 8, 2019.

1. Beakmon FC

Beakmon FC Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Jan 10, 2002
    The OC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Three cheers for janky underground soccer streams!

TrickHog repped this.
  2. kgzero

kgzero Member

Feb 16, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Looks like I'm sticking to questionably legal streams.

3. 73Bruin

73Bruin Member+

Galaxy
    United States
    Jul 12, 2008
    Torrance, California
    I understand the attraction of free. However, almost all of the streaming sites seemed to insist on an app being installed. I have never trusted them.

4. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Free means they are making their money some other way...like maybe selling info they find on your computer?

73Bruin repped this.
  5. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Download privacy badger and Ublock, and then there is nothing to fear with those free streaming sites. But yea, never download anything from those places.

Beakmon FC repped this.
  6. jimmyodonnell

jimmyodonnell Member

May 1, 2003
    I understand we are not to post links here about sites which may or may not stream live sports, but there is a similar discussion on DC United's board where their members compare thoughts on ESPN+ and alternative viewing options that may or may not be available to US-based viewers. There you might or might not find some alternate avenues to explore.

7. kgzero

kgzero Member

Feb 16, 2005
    Los Angeles
    I might or might not check that out.

jimmyodonnell repped this.
  8. 73Bruin

73Bruin Member+

Galaxy
    United States
    Jul 12, 2008
    Torrance, California
    Exactly or turning you pc into a bot and selling control over your PC to others. FWIW, I make my main user account a standard user not an admin. I have a second local account that is the admin. That way if a site tries to install a program or delete anything, I get an alert and a chance to block the action. I don't use the local account to access the internet.

9. Geneva

Geneva LA for Life

Feb 5, 2003
    Southern Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm a little bit beside myself right now. I just realized I won't be getting in market Galaxy games on MLS Live EVER, whereas in past years there had been a 24 hour + blackout period before the games became available. As a cord-cutter getting cable is just not an option, and in my area I'm not sure I can get Spectrum Sports Net at all! Wow.

What is this FIOS someone was talking about? I might be back in the illegal stream business, not looking forward to that at all.

Meanwhile, despite trying for days, I still have not seen Saturday's game!!!!

I'd like to know who at the Galaxy I can complain to about this. ESPN+ is a joke.

StillKickin and skydog repped this.
  10. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    ESPN+ is great if you don't live in the area where your team plays. I get to watch every single galaxy game this season via espn+, espn, fs1 or fs2, unimas, or twitter. I love it.

Unfortunately for my LA bros, it's not a good service.

Geneva repped this.
  11. FlapJack

FlapJack Member+

Mar 3, 2006
    Los Angeles
    If you have ESPN+, can't you theoretically use a VPN to set your location wherever you want? Asking for a friend...

12. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Yes.

13. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have heard that they are now using your billing address in addition to your VPN location. I was going to test that with my brother and log into his ESPN+ account thru a VPN and see what happens. Will report back if I do.

GalaxyOne and Geneva repped this.
  14. Geneva

Geneva LA for Life

Feb 5, 2003
    Southern Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When I try to use a VPN, I get the message:
    We are unable to verify your account. Please try again. If the problem persists, please contact our customer service team.

Dr.Phil and TrickHog repped this.
  15. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep, I think they are looking at billing and VPN location and seeing the discrepancy. It really sucks that the blackouts are now permanent and not lifted after 48 hours like they used to do.

16. Geneva

Geneva LA for Life

Feb 5, 2003
    Southern Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for the sympathy. Seems like a missed a really good game. Shaking fist in general direction of the Galaxy!! Fix this!! Cable should not be the only option.

StillKickin and skydog repped this.
  17. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    #42 skydog, Mar 20, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2019
    That is ridiculous and ass-backwards marketing strategy for the Galaxy/MLS brand. I can understand the live broadcast blackout but not being able to see the game on delay on MLS Live is stupid. Hard to grow a local fan base that way.

18. napper

napper Member+

Jan 14, 2014
    Fullerton
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The condensed Minn match is on the MLS app.

Geneva repped this.
  19. Geneva

Geneva LA for Life

Feb 5, 2003
    Southern Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Where are you seeing this?

20. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On the app, make sure you are on the "Latest" tab. Then scroll down until you reach the First Highlight link. At the bottom of that is small text that says "All Highlights" -- click on that text to open all the highlights. Then just scroll down until you reach the "Condensed LA vs MN" link.

There is no organization to it, you just have to scroll through until you find it. It's a horrible app compared to the old version which was nicely organized and had options to turn off the scores, etc. - they took a HUGE step back 2 years ago. I'm watching way less MLS now because it takes too much work to find the games I want to watch without seeing the scores and having the results ruined....

StillKickin, Geneva, skydog and 2 others repped this.
  21. galvanator

galvanator Member

Dec 5, 2006
    Atascadero, CA USA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm in the same boat...except I live 200+ miles from Carson...but still blacked out!

Geneva repped this.
  22. galvanator

galvanator Member

Dec 5, 2006
    Atascadero, CA USA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I tried ESPN+ last season but got so frustrated with it that I canceled it after about half way through the season.

23. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think ESPN+ is worth it for LAG fans within the blackout area. HOWEVER, I think that LAG as a promo (and it wouldn't cost that much) could offer ESPN+ as a freebie for full season ticket buyers. It would help ESPN+ build a viewer base that they could market to sponsors, and maybe it would induce some people to buy in to the full season program. Just spitballing.

skydog and MPNumber9 repped this.
  24. 73Bruin

73Bruin Member+

Galaxy
    United States
    Jul 12, 2008
    Torrance, California
    FIOS is basically an alternate cable service. It was started by Verizon in areas where Verizon provided telephone service. It's unique feature was optical fiber into the house providing a great path for IP based service. If you live in an area where AT&T is the land line telephone company you probably can't get it. When Verizon decided to get out of the land line telephone business in the western U.S., they sold this business to Frontier including the FIOS service. FIOS in my area does carry the Spectrum sports network. Switching would save me about $50 a month with supposedly more services.

AT&T used to offer a service called UVerse which mimicked FIOS but not in my area. I have no idea if it carries the Spectrum sports network or even is available after the DTV merger.

Geneva repped this.
  25. joshmartinez122

Apr 18, 2011
    California
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I currently have DirectTv solely because of wanting to watch the Galaxy and Lakers games on Spectrum Sportsnet. I considered espn plus too but I am still in the blackout area. So I am stuck with cable. The whole idea behind regional sports packages is to give local fans access to watching their teams play. Unfortunately, for socal fans, the networks that teams have contracts with have made it very difficult to find affordable viewing.

galvanator, 73Bruin, hav77 and 1 other person repped this.