Ernesto Goes to Work: The 2018-19 Season Thread [R]

Discussion in 'Barcelona' started by Viscaelbarca, Jul 24, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Forzabarca

Forzabarca Guest

Messi/ARG will not get far in Copa America, they are a disaster. CL would have sealed his 6th.

2. condor11

condor11 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 2, 2002
    New Zealand
    yeah so?

How does that impact Messi's legacy?

take a look at Maradona's career full of setbacks including two humiliating individual world cup exits in 82 and 94. His legacy is intact.

remember people only recall the good times

Messi will be remembered as a multiple champions league and la liga winner and a record goal scorer....dont stress out too much about his legacy

evil_allan and celito repped this.
  3. condor11

condor11 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 2, 2002
    New Zealand
    After the debacle of giving Modric the award last year I am fairly confident Messi will get it back

either way does not matter...I dont think people will remember him due to the individual award. His legend will surpass that..he is a modern player being seriously discussed as the GOAT.

CR7 has won as many individual awards and no one even seems to seriously considered him the greatest European player ever

unclesox repped this.
  4. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    Many are torn between Messi and Cronaldo especially as the only real tangible measure is the World Player award where they are both tied on 5 each ... Messi would have won last year's if we'd have won CL ... same this year ..

I just worry that with Cronaldo winning awards in Italy they may just give him this year's trophy .

I'd suggest it will be the last chance for both of them ...

5. Forzabarca

Forzabarca Guest

Penaldo will not get the Ballon for his so called achievements in Serie A. I say best chance is Virgil and or Salah if they are decisive in the final. I think those morons voting are tired of voting for Messi and Penaldo, they'll just give it to someone else if they can.

6. condor11

condor11 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 2, 2002
    New Zealand
    I truly have never heard any football pundit discuss CR7 on the same level as Pele or Maradona...fanboys are a total different matter but those will always exist. Messi will be remembered as the greatest of his generation.Just like Maradona is remembered over Platini and Zico and Pele over Garrincha.

I dont think there is any chance of CR7 winning the award based on his Italian league award. He did not even score an outrageous amount of goals (currently 5 goals of Quagliarella) and Juve were eliminated earlier than Barcelona. He does have the nations league...

unclesox repped this.
  7. condor11

condor11 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 2, 2002
    New Zealand
    them giving the award to either of them will be ridiculed in the same way as Modric winning the award will be.

It is essentially the same as the Shawshank Redemption not winning the Oscar...A ridiculous decision that looks dumber as years go by...Modric has never in any of the past 5 seasons been better than Messi.

8. Forzabarca

Forzabarca Guest

#958 Forzabarca, May 19, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: May 19, 2019
    Yes but doesn't change the FACT that Messi DOESN'T get it if they pull same shit. Just like the LPB CL, people only see and remember 3 in a row not how the got it.

I hope he doesn't have a stinker with Arg because that's the last thing people will remember.

9. condor11

condor11 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 2, 2002
    New Zealand
    again think back to Maradona

do people remember his last 5 seasons at Sevilla, Newells and Boca?

His 1994 exit?

or his glorious years

unclesox repped this.
  10. Forzabarca

Forzabarca Guest

11. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    #961 TitoTata, May 19, 2019
    Last edited: May 19, 2019
    Wasn't the Real Betis manager the favourite to replace Valverde ???

He's just been sacked !?!?!?

We can get him now guys without paying compensation;)

12. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    I thought it was Koeman.
    Or Xavi.
    Or Frank De Boer.
    Or Wenger.
    Or Jordi Cruyff.
    Or whoever-the-current-flavor-of-the-moment-is.

13. afar

afar Member+

Apr 26, 2007
    If Barca didn’t have Messi, then it would have been an absolutely pathetic season.

Messi masks so many problems that otherwise would clearly show in the results too.

For this reason, Valverde needs to be out.

ShortyMac repped this.
  14. Jpows

Jpows Member+

F.C. Barcelona
    Netherlands
    Jun 4, 2018
    Well, it's not exactly rocket science. It's happening to Madrid now that Ronaldo is gone. The thing is, having a once-in-every-couple-of-generations talent like Messi or Ronaldo is just that, very rare and very hard to figure out how to carry on without them. We build our teams and our tactics around said players for such a long time that it's harder than one'd imagine to adjust after they're gone.

This is especially true with Messi as he is both our most creative player and our most prolific goal scorer. With that in mind, he will be harder to replace than Ronaldo imo. How do you replace his output? It's impossible to find a single player to directly account for them so it becomes a complicated puzzle of putting together a well-balanced squad of which their combined efforts will have to produce for the gaping hole left behind by Messi.

15. Rana catesbeiana

Mar 11, 2008
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    We can look at the near past, say the last 20 years, and see that many teams have been able to be very convincing and win many titles without Messi. No reason why we couldn't do that, even if he is the goat and the best current player too.

16. afar

afar Member+

Apr 26, 2007

The issue is that this reliance is getting more and more.

De Jong will help, hopefully. There is no creativity in our midfield— Puig should have been given a chance in every game once we secured the title.

17. Jpows

Jpows Member+

F.C. Barcelona
    Netherlands
    Jun 4, 2018
    #967 Jpows, May 19, 2019
    It's not that we cannot do it, it's that it won't be easy to adjust after he's gone. Again, Madrid is a case in point. Furthermore, those other teams that won it without Messi, of course it's possible with a well-balanced team were the output is more spread out. However, the fact is that we do have Messi. Those other teams did not have to build their teams and tactics around a single player for such a long period nor did they have adjust after that player retires. Again, I never said it was impossible, just that it's not as easy as you'd think.

18. Jpows

Jpows Member+

F.C. Barcelona
    Netherlands
    Jun 4, 2018
    I don't know if the reliance is getting more and more. I think it's been pretty much a constant for some time now. If anything, Suarez at the very least has taken some of the goal-scoring load off Messi's shoulders, except in CL of course, which is worrying.

Agree about Puig, though. I love the guy and really hope to see him more and more on the field next season.

19. Rana catesbeiana

Mar 11, 2008
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    I don't know. Depends how he quits and when, and how much he plays in his last season/seasons. Like, whether the quitting is cold turkey or fading. We'll see, though I never said it's gonna be easy. A lot might happen before he quits.

RM handled the adjusting poorly, imo. We can do better.

20. Jpows

Jpows Member+

F.C. Barcelona
    Netherlands
    Jun 4, 2018
    I never said you said it was gonna be easy. It was just an absolute statement, for me at least. I was angling for your comment implying that it's possible to win without a player like Messi, which of course it is, but it's not the same situation we are in cause we do have a Messi.

I agree Madrid handled it poorly and that we can do better. However, again, Messi isn't just a player you can somehow replace. Moreover, it's not like Messi will be here for many more years so we won't have as much time to figure it out before he leaves. He's not Xavi, he has reiterated his wishes to end his career at his native club Newell's Old Boys. So I wonder how long he will "fade" or take on a substitute role like Xavi did before he decides to leave.

21. Rana catesbeiana

Mar 11, 2008
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    The club has a lot of time to come up with a plan to replace him, and a lot of money to do it. Some sort of plans should exist already.

A basic modern strategy of replacing a player who gives you so much that you can't sign anyone like him, is to sign a couple of players who can together replace the sold player. I'm sure someone in the club has read Moneyball.

Let's say Messi scores 50 a year, ST 25 a year and LW 20 a year. That's 95 for the three attackers. You don't find someone who scores 50, but you can find someone who scores 25. You're then negative 25 goals. Maybe you upgrade your centerback, and we concede 7 goals less. That's negative 18. Maybe we replace RB, conceding 5 goals less. That's negative 13. Maybe we replace a midfielder who scores 4 a season with someone who scores 8 a season, that's negative 9. Maybe our coaching emphasizes tactics that will get scoring chances to other more than during Messi, so everyone else's scoring goes up by total of 10. That's positive 1. And so on. It's about the team, not about one player. Things will take time, but the wheels are already in motion of course.

Yeah, we will see.

22. Jpows

Jpows Member+

F.C. Barcelona
    Netherlands
    Jun 4, 2018
    #972 Jpows, May 19, 2019
    I assume you've been reading my posts cause that's exactly what I've been saying :cautious:. They have to solve a puzzle which is putting together a well-balanced squad where Messi's output will be more spread out. That's the logical solution. My point is, it won't be easy. Messi has been a sure thing every season, the embodiment of consistency, for a whole decade, just like Ronaldo has been. Then there's the rest... It's possible, just very hard, especially in the beginning. In time, of course, we'll get it right.

Regarding a plan already being in place, of course, I would hope the board isn't that inept. However, again, how does one plan to replace the GOAT? You have sort of laid out a very rough way to possibly go about it, however, nothing is a certainty, cause, like I said, Messi is the GOAT and has been a sure-thing for the last decade. Now we plan and we hope...

23. Rana catesbeiana

Mar 11, 2008
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    I think that that "solution" is so obvious that it's not even a solution really, but rather the only way, and the club knows this. Get a good starter RW, but try to make the team as good as possible elsewhere. Well, that's we'd do anyway, Messi or not.

24. Jpows

Jpows Member+

F.C. Barcelona
    Netherlands
    Jun 4, 2018
    Yes, like I said, no single player can directly replace Messi, so there's only one logical solution. It goes without saying that the club knows this, however, it's a tricky puzzle and will take time to get the formula just right. That's the whole point.

25. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    I’d suggest the first step would to get a competent manager in place .. ideally an inspirational one like Klopp for example.. at least he’d be able to assemble a squad to play decent attractive football and not crumble under pressure

afar repped this.