Eredivisie 2011-2012: predictions and expectations

Discussion in 'The Netherlands' started by JC-14, Aug 5, 2011.

1. JC-14

JC-14 Member+

Jan 28, 2010
    Amsterdam
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Last year nobody really got close with their final standing predictions. Everybody overestimated Feyenoord and underestimated ADO. I think Parel ultimately gave the best prediction since he accurately predicted the top 4.

You can give whatever predictions you like in here but I'd like to start by asking the following questions:

Top Five:
    1. Ajax
    2. PSV
    3. Twente
    4. AZ
    5. Groningen

Bottom Three:
    16. De Graafschap
    17. RKC Waalwijk
    18. Excelsior

KNVB Beker Winner:
    Ajax

Player of the Year:
    Jan Vertonghen (Ajax)

Young Player of the Year:
    Christian Eriksen (Ajax)

Top Scorer:
    Kolbeinn Sightorsson (Ajax)

Coach of the Season:
    Co Adriaanse (Twente)

Best signing of the Season:
    Thulani Serero (Ajax)

Worst signing of the Season:
    Ruud Boymans (AZ)

2. CANADA-AZ

CANADA-AZ Member

Feb 3, 2005
    Hamilton-Canada
    Gee I'm glad there aren't too many Ajax players chosen

3. JC-14

JC-14 Member+

Jan 28, 2010
    Amsterdam
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    There can never be too many. Just be satisfied I didn't choose Frank de Boer as best coach.

4. Gedonder

Gedonder Guest

What about Heerenveen? They had two bad seasons in a row, but I think they are back again. Sure, they don't have the best defense in the world, but still. They could end up in the top five just like that, although I know they started this season very bad.

Anyway, I think it's clear to most people that either Ajax or FC Twente will win the championship this season. PSV is far behind these two teams.

5. he so scrumptiouz

Jun 1, 2006
    amsterdam
    Waiting on the end of the transfer window before I do my predictions. There's bound to be some more significant changes the upcoming weeks.

6. JC-14

JC-14 Member+

Jan 28, 2010
    Amsterdam
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Very true. Heerenveen for instance bought Zomer which could be a considerable upgrade for their defense. If the defensive players could support the forwards for a change they'd be a darkhorse. Their offensive line is the strongest in the league in my opinion.

7. Twente has already a 9 point advantage compared to last season over the other title contenders. 3 matches won that were lost last year, so a terrific start for the eastern reds.

8. CANADA-AZ

CANADA-AZ Member

Feb 3, 2005
    Hamilton-Canada
    At the moment it would look like the top 4 of last year will be the top four of this year--perhaps a change in the order but that's all

a couple more days before the transfer closes until winter break

The top 4 seem to beat up on the lower teams a little more---there are some big scores from these 4 teams----is this because they are so much better?

9. JC-14

JC-14 Member+

Jan 28, 2010
    Amsterdam
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I want to replace RKC with VVV. Sno and Castillion bring them to another level.

10. JC-14

JC-14 Member+

Jan 28, 2010
    Amsterdam
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Best signing to Mertens. ;)

11. CANADA-AZ

CANADA-AZ Member

Feb 3, 2005
    Hamilton-Canada
    Things may change again at winter break but for now

Top Five:
    1. PSV
    2. AZ
    3. Ajax
    4. Twente
    5. Vitesse

Player of the Year:
    Mertens

Young Player of the Year:
    Maher-AZ

Top Scorer:
    Mertens-PSV

Coach of the Season:
    Verbeek--AZ

12. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    You're of the opinion that Twente was a one man team? Just curious.

13. CANADA-AZ

CANADA-AZ Member

Feb 3, 2005
    Hamilton-Canada
    I'm of the opinion that Twente are not as good as last year but the other three are better than last year--at this time

14. JC-14

JC-14 Member+

Jan 28, 2010
    Amsterdam
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    It makes sense from his point of view. The odds of it actually ending like that are slim to none though.

15. But Twente has a 9 points advantage compared to last season with the wins of the matches they lost then. And Ajax already has a 2 points deficit with the VVV draw, so that's a 11 points advantage for now for Twente.
    Okay, I'm a numbers addict:p:D

16. JC-14

JC-14 Member+

Jan 28, 2010
    Amsterdam
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
  17. CANADA-AZ

CANADA-AZ Member

Feb 3, 2005
    Hamilton-Canada
    The best part is the Erediivisie right now and not too many other leagues have this--

there have been a different winner for the last 4 years with no repeaters.

This makes it a lot of fun and a crapp shoot--because with a little luck--a big injury or just someone on a team coming from nowhere to dominate may push that club over the top because its close between the top 4

18. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    But that's sort of my point. Twente has been struggling with injuries the entire (pre) season. Ruiz didn't play at the start of the season and was yet to hit form, we've been without Chadli, and Rosales has played all of 30 minutes. We had kids up front so far and we still haven't played with our best starting XI. Yet as our resident Feyenoordfan pointed out, we still won three games against opponents we lost to last season, and that's including your lot. Don't you wonder what Twente will be like when everybody's fit?

Never mind. Twente's at its best when underestimated. So here's hoping all the attention goes to Ajax and PSV. Twee honden vechten om een been enz.

19. DRB300

DRB300 Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    http://comparetheleagues.com/

Eredivisie having the lowest average age with 23,9 years per player. That's 0.5 years younger than the number 2, Belgium. Massive in average terms. So my prediction is that won't change for this year.

My second prediction is that Eredivisie will be the league with the most goals scored per game. Altough .... Ruiz is gone now :confused: :D

20. Lamprey

Lamprey Member

Jul 2, 2010
    Las Vegas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are there any good ways to watch the league if you're living in the USA? ESPN 3 seems to have 1 Eredivision match per week, but thats all I see. Do any of the clubs have an online TV stream service?

21. JC-14

JC-14 Member+

Jan 28, 2010
    Amsterdam
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Don't worry, Ruiz only scored 9 goals last year ;)

22. You could try if the highlights of the matches functions, starting with Altidore:
    http://eredivisielive.nl/onderwerp/Jozy Altidore/

23. CANADA-AZ

CANADA-AZ Member

Feb 3, 2005
    Hamilton-Canada
    google--- KOFSS stream--or sportlemon

these 2 usually have all the games that are broadcast in Holland

24. Lamprey

Lamprey Member

Jul 2, 2010
    Las Vegas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cool, thanks for the tips guys.

25. CANADA-AZ

CANADA-AZ Member

Feb 3, 2005
    Hamilton-Canada
    We are now at the half way mark--my picks were pretty close as far as standings go

The others are close as well although Mertens has slowed the pace of scoring

FINAL STANDINGS
    The big factors going forward--which teams will lose players or possibly add a body

AZ-cannot afford to lose anyone and have started losing to points away from home--like last year--not scoring enough is becoming a problem--unless they get some help which is unlikely I cannot see them winning out

PSV--still the team to beat and getting better all the time

Ajax--very large game first one back in Alkmaar--a loss or even a tie would probably be fatal--they need to accept the Janssen move as a mistake and move him and move on--they are uneven and hard to pin down

Twente--I'm still not sold on them--I saw most of today's Feyenoord game and they did not impress me and they would be very ordinary without Douglas who does just about everything for them

So I'm leaving my original picks but I don't think Mertens will win best player--we need to put Douglas in there