PBP: EPL - West Ham United FC vs Manchester United FC - Sep 22, 2019 [R]

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10, Sep 19, 2019.

1. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Jesse is at his best as a RWF where he can roam inside. His movement can open space for others and it allows him to get some backside scoring chances. Think Pedro at Barca on a much smaller scale. Problem is, it means the entire right side is abandoned and we never had good enough RBs to exploit it.

2. giggs88

giggs88 Member

May 11, 2003
    Virginia
    Why the hell does Matic lollygag around with the ball, so goddamn annoying

3. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    It makes the switch to a system with a #10 even more odd given we dont really have a starter quality one, unless Ole was expecting backing for a new signing that didn't materialise.

Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10 repped this.
  4. giggs88

giggs88 Member

May 11, 2003
    Virginia
    Ominous signs

5. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    am i the only one starting to worry about the Martial and Pogba injuries?

though i'm fine if we're just being cautious and not rushing them back

6. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Riding off into the sunset
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Matic with a long range shot, straight at Fabianski.

7. Amdrag

Amdrag Member+

Jun 10, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    The injuries as originally described sounded like they'd be out for a bit. Not too long, but a month or so. But then they got us all hyped for a potential return like the next weekend for both of them, which I do feel like has made it feel a lot longer and something is "wrong".

Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10 repped this.
  8. Amdrag

Amdrag Member+

Jun 10, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Rashford is so bad on 1v1s, that he decided to lose the ball before he could even attempt it there.

9. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    If Rashford was confident in his left foot he scores there, defenders know he will come inside onto his right :(

jnielsen and Anonymous_United repped this.
  10. giggs88

giggs88 Member

May 11, 2003
    Virginia
    Don't whether to laugh or crie

11. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Jesse's game isn't about goals OR assists and he's not a typical 10. If you stopped thinking about a 10 the way Riquelme or Totti played the position and start thinking about it more like how Iniesta played the position then you'd understand a bit more how Jesse helps the team. He's obviously nowhere near that level of player but Andres would go months and months without a goal.

He's a player who gets the ball moving in the right direction. His progressive running is pretty high on our team despite the fact that we've played on the counter for the last few years which would suggest a forward or forwards would dominate the category.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying he's our most important player or that he's an elite 10 or anything like that. I'm saying contribution is being unnecessarily underrated because he doesn't do the flashy things.

-------

Moving on. I despite Matic. I hope he never plays another minute for United. He's an utter waste of a kit.

Pretty clear at this point that we should have gone w/ Jesse as the false 9 and split Rashford and James. We've had no touches near the D and outside of balls to the channel, our attack hasn't threatened AT ALL.

I think Andreas isn't good enough for this level on the wing. He's got to be played centrally but he doesn't show the nous for that.

12. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Another good piece of hustling play there from AP. Doing well to move the ball around so far: just pretty toothless however in the final third.

johno repped this.
  13. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Why have AWB and Young switched sides?

14. gatekeeper2

gatekeeper2 Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Regarding Lingard, what he does well is press opposing defenders, full stop. He creates nothing.

As for Matic, he’s completely done at this level.

15. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Wan Bissaka just Deon Sandersed there. He absolutely DARED the attacker to pass the ball out wide and then when it went, he pounced.

We're badly in need of an actual midfield presence. I've not seen Mata touch the ball in the other team's half in minutes. I can't believe he's playing 10. He's just not involved AT all. Passenger Mata in full effect. He's going to chip in with an assist at some point when we're on top if we ever get there. All the while he's not affecting the game when we are out of possession or even in transition.

16. Amdrag

Amdrag Member+

Jun 10, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    #41 Amdrag, Sep 22, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2019
    My issue with Jesse this season, and I maybe wrong, but I feel like he hasn't been moving the ball in the right direction. As it feels like every other touch for him has been poor.

Deadtigers and johno repped this.
  17. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    AY has made some decent deliveries both on corners so far and on this freekick but the rest of the guys are not aggressive enough attacking those balls. Frustrating.

18. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Seem to have switched back now, was a long period of play though.

19. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I'm not making excuses here, but imagine if he'd started this game instead of Mata, do you think he'd have been more involved? Do you think Rashford whold have had more than 1 touch in or around the box? Do you think our players would have an option for a pass in the middle of the attacking third of the field not just down the channels?

20. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    That’s all well and good, but when he’s not doing those things at an elite level, he’s useless. And for the past couple of months his movement off the ball isn’t good enough to compensate for him being terrible on the ball.

21. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    AWB just loves to put in tackles. Love it.

22. giggs88

giggs88 Member

May 11, 2003
    Virginia
    The best signing in years tbh

23. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    There is not a speck of creativity in that front 6. It’s crazy how the club failed to address our lack of playmakers this summer.

Deadtigers repped this.
  24. JamesA

JamesA Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Were going to have loads of 1 and 2 goal games this year.

Deadtigers repped this.
  25. Amdrag

Amdrag Member+

Jun 10, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    In a choice between Mata and Jesse in this form, I'd still take Jesse if he is going to work. Mata just has no legs and because of that it feels like Rashford is on his own.