PBP: EPL - Manchester United FC vs West Ham United FC - Aug 13, 2017 [R]

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10, Aug 9, 2017.

1. United 16

United 16 Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 25, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
  2. Stud83

Stud83 Member+

Jun 1, 2005
    benni... repped this.
  3. gatekeeper2

gatekeeper2 Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    An interesting point. While there's been a lot of talk about the height of our players there's been less talk of our pace. With notable exceptions such as Blind and Fellaini, we've generally got a very pacy roster.

4. jeff070

jeff070 Member+

Dec 31, 2004
    PA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Lebanon
    Can we play that type of football against the top sides away from home?

5. gatekeeper2

gatekeeper2 Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Well, no. You go into Stamford Bridge with a different approach than you do West Ham at Old Trafford. It was important for a lot of reasons to go all out against West Ham in the home opener than you would against Chelsea away. But even that depends on the circumstances of the game, such as who's fit and so on.

Despite how we looked against West Ham I suspect we'll generally see a more cautious approach against the other top four sides, especially away. Mourinho will always Mourinho.

6. JamesA

JamesA Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I believe that to be a misinterpretation.

Most on here were saying it was the fun to watch as a United fan. Not our best performance.

7. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Riding off into the sunset
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #382 Ashur, Aug 15, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2017
  8. gatekeeper2

gatekeeper2 Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    What I meant by "widely made" was not the commentary here on BigSoccer, but in the typically hyperbolic British media. Allow me one bit of evidence, but there is plenty more I could cite, to support my assertion. From The Telegraph, a reasonably level-headed British newspaper:

Man Utd produce best showing since Sir Alex Ferguson's retirement, while Nemanja Matic looks a steal at £40m

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football...-showing-since-sir-alex-fergusons-retirement/

This was the best performance by Manchester United under Jose Mourinho. Actually, in terms of pure theatre and capturing the essence of what United teams should stand for, it was the best since Sir Alex Ferguson retired.
    I won't argue that this is an irrational claim that has no basis whatsoever. It was, without question, one of the best performances since Ferguson left. Victory was comprehensive and (as you suggest) "fun to watch" and, was one over an opponent about which there was the slightest whiff of apprehension -- this was no baby seal slaughter of a newly promoted side. Merely, I disagree with the claim -- widely made (I will clarify for your benefit here) outside of BigSoccer -- that this was "the" best performance since Ferguson left.

But at no point did I accuse posters on BigSoccer of making the same claim that James Drucker and others have made that this was the best United performance since Ferguson. The misinterpretation is yours, not mine.

9. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. gatekeeper2

gatekeeper2 Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    "downed tools". I'll have to remember that one!

It's hard to rank such things. It certainly wasn't the most significant win, as surely that must be the win over Ajax last May. Maybe West Ham was the most "fun". But best? I'll still go with Chelsea at home last season. The opponent was the in form league leader and eventual trophy winner and if my recollection is accurate, Mou benched Ibra. Herrera was monumental in closing down (I dare not use the term "shutting down" here) Hazard. It was of no consequence in our final league standing, but it was a massive confidence boost for the club to set the stage for what looks like a pretty decent season we're going to have in 17/18.

11. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I say keep the faith. The more I think about it, the more I believe that Jose will look to put the hammer down in the first half of the season, in order to create separation with a lot of teams, just like he did in 14/15 with Chelsea.
    Not to say I necessarily expect us to be going gung ho on the road against top teams especially. But while he'll do things he's known for in those circumstances (like packing the midfield more for instance), he'll look to press on our advantage in the strength, power and athleticism departments.
    The main hope remains that, unlike 2014/15, he will not completely change his style in the second half of that season. Still a mystery what happened there, but I think Costa not firing the way he was earlier in that season, is a big reason for the change.
    We'll get a clue as to what we can expect this weekend vs Swansea: we should be going there and look to dominate them and I'm confident we will.