PBP: EPL - Liverpool FC vs Manchester United FC - Oct 14, 2017 [R]

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10, Oct 1, 2017.

1. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    [​IMG] vs [​IMG]

Competition: English Premier League
    Venue: Anfield
    Time: 12:30 (BST), 7:30 (EST)
    Channels: Sky Sports Main Event(UK), Sky Sports Premier League(UK), Sky GO(UK), NOW TV(UK), MUTV(UK), NBCSN(US), NBC Universo (US), Telemundo Deportes en vivo(US), fuboTV(US), Flow Sports Premier(JA), SuperSport 3 Africa (Zambia)

Liverpool injuries: Clyne (muscle), Lallana (thigh)
    Manchester United injuries: Rojo (knee), Pogba (hamstring), Carrick (knock), Ibrahimović (knee)

Liverpool last 6: D-D-L-W-D-D
    Manchester United last 6: W-W-W-W-W-W

Liverpool last result:
    1-1 away draw at Newcastle
    Manchester United last result: 4-0 home win over Crystal Palace

Liverpool league standing:
    7th
    Manchester United league standing: 2nd

Last League Encounter:
    1-1 home draw at Old Trafford

Liverpool last starting XI (4-3-3):
    Mignolet, Gómez, Matip, Lovren, Moreno, Henderson(c), Wijnaldum, Coutinho, Salah, Sturridge, Mané

Manchester United last starting XI (4-2-3-1):
    de Gea, Valencia(c), Jones, Smalling, Young, Matić, Fellaini, Mata, Mkhitaryan, Rashford, Lukaku

=====================
    first "real" test since we've had an "easy ride" is the narrative here.

we need to get at that soft underbelly that is their defence. i'd love for Martial to start this one but even though he's the "happy one" now and playing well i'm not sure what he has to do to earn a start in big games.

hoping for no injuries during the break here and another three points. hoping Lukaku does his thing again and i just have a feeling that there is a small chance we get a surprise of Pogba being back. we'll see though.

let's get it

benni... repped this.
  2. gatekeeper2

gatekeeper2 Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    October 14 is a long ways off and hopefully international duty doesn't leave hurt the squad, and will still don't know whether Pogba will be fit.

That said, we can expect Fellaini to start with Matic. And we can expect Martial to start over Rashford.

Pool are there for the taking, but Jose has carved out a brilliant managerial career on the back of caution. But I view this is an opponent we should beat, at least given the known present circumstances.

3. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Riding off into the sunset
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The United game can jump start Pool's season - Mignolet

www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/liverpool-vs-manchester-united-latest-news-simon-mignolet-a7978321.html

If there is a team who can not drop points in this one, it certainly is Pool. And that's why I really believe, that while Jose will look to be his usual cautious self in away games, he's going to look to get the W here. As it really would open things up with a direct rival and put them in a hole early.
    Pool going all out after United early as they like to do, could also play right into United's hands and they could be taken apart with that weak defense of theirs.

4. Chaz Striker

Chaz Striker Member+

Jul 26, 2005
    Denver
    It's going to be a super negative game on our side.

benni... repped this.
  5. gatekeeper2

gatekeeper2 Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Agreed. A smash and grab situation, for sure.

Who better to perform smash-grab duties than our two unchained and in-form Belgian Beasts, Romelu Lukaku and Marouane Fellaini?

6. Rooney20

Rooney20 Member+

Jan 8, 2007
    New York
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Would like to see a 4-3-3 for this one. Bring in Herrera to man mark Coutinho out of this game. We should be able to use our pace to exploit them on the counter and grab a goal or 4.

7. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Switching to 4-3-3, with United playing both Herrera and Fellaini next to Matic would be the way to go in my opinion as well.
    Curious to know which way Jose will go on the left between Martial and Rashford. As mentioned, I don't expect Jose to reckless and open, but the fact remains that Pool are there for the taking and that needs to be taken advantage of.

8. gatekeeper2

gatekeeper2 Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    At Anfield, amigos.

Jose will be wary of this wounded animal called Liverpool FC. I just can't see him opening the boys to full throttle in this situation.

We've got incredible speed and power up front. Being our first serious test of the season Jose just can't be sure what our link up play is capable of, especially with Pogba still out, so it seems very likely that he'll soak the pressure and hit on the counter with the devastating speed that we have in Lukaku and Rashford. And Fellaini at the end of crosses when it's safe to send the Belgian Beast into the six yard box.

Klopp will play in our hands, his players will get caught, and we'll end up with a somewhat ugly but nevertheless glorious 0-2 win at Anfield.

9. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    One of the few ties that LVG got right;

- do use Fellaini furthest forward of a midfield 3 as an option to beat the press and to make runs into the box against a team that can't defend crosses

- do use Matic and Herrera to shield the back four

- don't 'do a Shelvey' and allow Coutinho inside onto his right-foot

- do slow the game down to take the sting out of the crowd (Mou of all managers has this one perfected)

- do play Mata, he likes playing 'pool :)

- do have fun at attacking them @ set-pieces

benni... and MizzouMUFC repped this.
  10. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now Slippy talks about using the United to reignite Pool's sputtering start of the season.

www.skysports.com/football/news/11669/11065102/liverpool-can-reignite-their-season-by-beating-manchester-united-says-steven-gerrard

Of course, Pool can not be taken lightly and not worried at all about that. They may be a bit desperate, which will make them dangerous. Yet, I'm also more convinced than ever that Jose will want to put them in a bigger hole f he can.
    They are 7pts behind United and City and a 10pt deficit may not put them out of contention, but it would be close to it and Jose will be perfectly aware of that. Makes sense, strategically, to all but eliminate a title contender if the opportunity presents itself.
    As previously stated, no way United will be foolhardy and take the game to Pool, but the opportunity to hit them hard on the counter, will be there aplenty.

11. Chaz Striker

Chaz Striker Member+

Jul 26, 2005
    Denver
    We get it Ashur.

12. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #12 Ashur, Oct 3, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2017
    Who gets the start wide right, is one of two serious questions I have as of now in regards of team selection. Mata does have a history of performing well vs Pool (especially at Anfield), but Miki and the pace he can provide could make him the choice on the day.
    The 2 wide spots (with Martial or Rashford on the other flank) are the only points of contention in my predicted lineup for that game as of today.

13. gatekeeper2

gatekeeper2 Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    We still have another 11 days to wait for this match.

Something to keep in mind that is that fixture -- v United at Anfield -- is Liverpool's de facto cup final, the one fixture in the season that can effectively wipe away the tears of what is already shaping up to be a disappointing season.

14. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mane is out for this weekend and for the coming weeks, after picking up a hamstring injury.

Chaz Striker repped this.
  16. Diable Rouge

Diable Rouge Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    huge blow for liverpool, he really is their best player even if coutinho gets all the press.

Serengeti_Boy repped this.
  17. Futbol_Head

Futbol_Head Member+

Manchester United
    Aug 18, 2007
    Bay Area, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So many hamstring injuries as of late. It's contagious.

18. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #18 Ashur, Oct 10, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2017
    It's big also in the sense that it relieves Jose of a major decision defensively in regards to who Herrera will have to primarily look after. Coutinho surely will be that guy now.

19. gatekeeper2

gatekeeper2 Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Great news for us. One can only imagine how this is going down with Liverpool fans. Actually, we don't need to imagine it...let's read some of their posts:

http://www.liverpoolway.co.uk/index...-united-h-sat-14-oct-1230pm-esse-quam-videri/

Our cunts 0 Their bigger cunts 7
    Lukaku 3, Mkhitaryan 2, Rashford, Martial

###

By the way, this isn't just my usual default pessimism, I genuinely think they'll beat us 7-0

We could get bummed dead hard by these horrible gets.

They look like absolute kryptonite for us and our weaknesses - their style of play, make up of their team, their strengths.

The cold light of day look at this has me dreading it totally - the fact it is those rats and all that means though has me right up for albeit fearing the worst.

Timing of it with our two Brazilian lads likely to be ********ed is lousy as well - the scheduling is all wrong when you have players landing from 12 hour flights less than 48 hrs before a game.

###

Being the dick that I am, just bet my mate £50 we’ll do them. It was more of a pride thing because he was laughing saying they’ll destroy us.

He’s right of course, I think they will batter us. They’re set up exactly the way we hate playing against, they are literally like Burnley/West Brom/Palace on steroids with a shit load better quality in attack. They’ll soak up any pressure we put on them and hit us on the break, any crosses or set pieces they’ll score. I reckon we’ll get beat 4-1. Would love to be totally wrong!

20. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Martin Atkinson has been named the referee for this game.

21. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    hopefully Bailly has sorted his shxt out by now

22. Rooney20

Rooney20 Member+

Jan 8, 2007
    New York
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What do you mean? What happened to Bailly?

23. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    his form has been shaky. i'm hoping he's over that now. we need a solid backline for this one

Sofabloke repped this.
  24. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Seriously! Lukaku is due to play for Belgium tonight and the universe is watching for comments like these. Shoulda waited bro, bad karma :rolleyes:

25. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because karma has been extra kind to us so far. I guess I forgot... :whistling: