EPL - Arsenal v Liverpool

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by crazy150, Nov 1, 2018.

1. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nicely put. And clever too. +1

maskito repped this.
  2. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    What a ridiculous post

We all know eddie Howe is a handsome, large packaged man who could win the champions league with Accrington Stanley if hecwanted

DaPrince84 and Super Llama repped this.
  3. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Working with the guys in AI blew my mind as to what is possible.

At that time, which is only 6 years ago, people were already talking about "thin" AI on your phone - which seemed insane - that shit is already here

Personally I think one of the big applications will be real time analysis of stuff that is happening on the field.

Anyway - just thought i'd share that the nerds hear you - but of course what you describe is their wet dream of Ai because of how much money you will make from it.

Most of this stuff is not about perfect answers, but just being 5% less shit than the other guys

NorthBank repped this.
  4. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Before summer 2006 i watched in the pub - post kid Eins i caught up when i could

2009-11 Arse were just so poor & I could not justify it in the context of the GFC, Euro crisis and waking up 3 times a night at least :ROFLMAO:

mebeSajid repped this.
  5. bandwagongooner

bandwagongooner Member+

Dec 9, 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If there's one thing that he consistently does it's appoint himself the arbiter of what topics of discussion are appropriate.

danielh repped this.
  6. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    The applications are enormous: it's been the big thing in biglaw for a few years now, because of the potential to save millions in document review costs.

I'm really curious about how you'd go about rolling out real-time analysis in football: even assuming that you can get it to work, that's a really difficult operational problem to solve. How do you create the buy-in to get that done?

And, of course, there's high frequency trading. Flash Boys is a great book. You guys should read it.

Also, given the conversation about AI: skynet, when you read this, please remember that I was for your creation.

7. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No not an arbiter. Just someone expressing an opinion. And an opinion that seems to be shared by a fair few of us on this board.

Sorry if you don't see it this way.

8. crazy150

crazy150 Member+

Aug 27, 2006
    North Cuba
    There are those models out there—I posted a link to a paper a while ago which adjusted each shot chance based on the shooter and the opposition. Of course this is not what is being used and even this will not be totally accurate.

My main gripe is not that XG is used, but it’s used just like an absolute...just like the stat of total shots or total passes. Shot count for example has zero error. Meanwhile xG has loads of problems which lead to uncertainty which goes unreported by the 100s of models.

I get it and I’m sorry that I’ve maybe been a driver or enabler for this. However, I agree with @mebeSajid that the stats help you look for things and learn more about the game. Also, we argue a lot here. Mostly someone sees something—“giroud sucks” or “play Auba up front” and instead of just shouting the loudest, reasonable people look for non anecdotal evidence to back up what they have seen. I know Ive backed off some of my opinions because of these metrics even if I’ve failed to convince others ;). Also, I usually just watch the match without checking online too much. The stats stuff is for post game consumption.

@thebigman im sorry bruv. You know footy in the US was a geeky thing back when most of us became fans. Probably 75% of those here have advanced degrees in something fairy nuanced or technical so cut us some slack and please don’t leave, we need you!

9. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I’m not leaving I’m too important

10. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Word. We need a bear to give n00bs "The Revenant" treatment.

thebigman repped this.
  11. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    When viewing games some people see what they want to see. They have innate biases that come out on these threads. I use stats almost exclusively to question those biases.

mebeSajid repped this.
  12. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True. Biases are a big part of being a fan. But along with challenging these biases, stats are often selectively used to bolster those biases as well.

But there was also a cute quote I found in one our BS colleague's signature the other day:

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted" -Albert Einstein

13. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    Numbers generally don't lie, if a player creates chances they are impacting the game. I give you an example, I ran across a blogger who gave Ramsey the lowest rating of any Arsenal player for the Sporting game, with a comment about missing a chance. It didn't match what I saw, so I went back and looked at the numbers. Ramsey completed more passes than any other player attempted, including 11 of 16 long passes. In short, a lot of the offense flowed through Ramsey. I can only conclude that the blogger is not a Ramsey fan.

mebeSajid, DaPrince84 and Tonerl repped this.
  14. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Isn’t differing opinions what makes people
    Post on a forum

Rather than comparing data?

15. bandwagongooner

bandwagongooner Member+

Dec 9, 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Data fights are waaaay more bitchy than opinion fights

16. Tonerl

Tonerl Member+

Arsenal
    May 10, 2006
    Cincinnati, OH
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are they, though?

Feels like there’s a real persecution complex among the anti-data set.

17. bandwagongooner

bandwagongooner Member+

Dec 9, 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When data guys fight with each other it's like two guys fighting about religion except each guy started the religion himself.

18. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    It's happened in analytics before (though I don't recall seeing it in sports). Frankly, I don't think footie analytics are sophisticated enough yet to have those kinds of substantive disagreements.

Shen-O repped this.
  19. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't sell em short. I think footy stats are quite sophisticated. In fact, sophisticated enough to warrant their own thread in this forum. :)