English Premier League 16-17 (R) assignments and discussion

Discussion in 'Referee' started by Rufusabc, Aug 6, 2016.

1. Rufusabc

Rufusabc Member+

May 27, 2004
    Does anyone know how that black line works? Is it only on feet?

2. RedStar91

RedStar91 Member+

Sep 7, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Is it?

Again, I don't know what the correct decision should be here, but I think the goal should stand here.

I'm curious as to how PGMOL views this decision. I think they themselves would not support the AR here and they would grade it as a wrong a decision. That will be the key in regards to how a VAR will review this decision. If PGMOL thinks this is offside then the goal will be disallowed, but if they view this as onside, than the decision is overturned and the goal awarded.

Regardless, this just shows how silly it is, for me, to be using VARs to look at offside.

We are looking at a still and we can't come to clear consensus as to what the correct decision should be...

3. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But there's no VAR proposal that involves the competition authority having a say in real-time. You're either using the VAR himself if the decision is obvious enough, or the CR is viewing a monitor if necessary (or he desires). Either way, it's still a subjective interpretation of this still photo and accompanying video. And the VAR protocols say that only "clearly" wrong decisions should be overturned. This would never get overturned if the VAR protocols are followed.

Now, could something like the OffsideModeling twitter handle show a few hours or a couple days later that the decision was objectively wrong? Maybe. But that's not happening in real-time during the match. I also think you're mistaken if you think PGMOL would say this is a wrong decision based solely on this angle--but that's just likely going to be a difference of opinion between you and me.

4. RedStar91

RedStar91 Member+

Sep 7, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    I'm just assuming that the VAR and CR would go over clips like this or similar to it in their seminars and weekly meetings and they would know, already, from their experiences of what PGMOL wants here. So, naturally, they would apply that knowledge when reviewing this play when they are VARs or looking at a tablet pitchside and make the decision based on that.

Again, I'm completely speculating as what the correct call is in this case. It's just my personal opinion, that the goal should stand and that PGMOL wants the goal to stand. It could be the other way and they would think this is offside.

5. NW Referee

NW Referee Member

Jun 25, 2008
    Washington
    Regarding the Manchester United offside decision, the camera angle used (with the line added) to try to show TV viewers if Ibrahimovic was offside was not positioned to show the same view as the AR who appeared to be in position to make the call. With a camera angle like that, how can you tell if the player was offside? Am I missing something?

MassachusettsRef repped this.
  6. Thezzaruz

Thezzaruz Member+

Jun 20, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    That Ibrahimovic offside is a tough one. IMO the goal should have stood, it is far to close by all I've seen of it to call it off (benefit to the attacker and all that). But I also think that it is a close and quick enough situation that it won't hurt the AR much (nor should it). And I agree with @MassachusettsRef that, with the video evidence available, I can't see the decision being overturned because there just isn't anything clear cut to make such a decision.

7. Thezzaruz

Thezzaruz Member+

Jun 20, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    #532 Thezzaruz, Apr 5, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2017
    Not a good day for English referees today it seems. Atkinson likely missed 2 or 3 penalties in the Arsenal v West Ham match today (his AR made a good offside non-call on the first goal though :thumbsup:).

Didn't see the separate thread for this, I'll post my comments there instead.
    And Keith Stroud in the Championship gave an IDFK going out for encroachment on a PK that was scored. Apparently he had a 2 min discussion with his AR but refused to accept that he was wrong. :eek:

8. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was ignoring his upper body because your arms can be offside because you can't score a goal with your arms. I wasn't thinking about the fact that you can score with your shoulder. Watching live, I thought his feet were level with the last defender, and on replay I thought his feet were onside by inches. I agree that Mourinho shouldn't claim that a VAR certainly would have allowed it. Is there a way of judging offside with a player leaning forward without having cameras in the air?

9. fairplayforlife

fairplayforlife Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well I guess now we need offside line technology. Get on that FIFA! ;)

10. sulfur

sulfur Member+

Oct 22, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    That's not the reason for lack of arms.

The reason is much more practical... you can't tell which arm belongs to whom when looking across a pitch.

(Note: a GK CAN score a goal with their arms... it's a hell of a long throw, but can be done).

11. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    But not from where OSP matters! :cool:

And I suppose any player could be credited with a goal should a ball rebound off the player into the goal and the contact was not deliberate . . . so that OSP positioned hand could turn out to be an advantage:ROFLMAO::cool:

12. fairplayforlife

fairplayforlife Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One side of me is saying you are trying to start something and are trolling. But damn if the sunglasses on that smiley don't make me want to trust you. ;)

socal lurker repped this.
  13. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    With the wind we had in my game last night, the upwind keeper was actually in some moderate danger of scoring with his hands ...

14. Thezzaruz

Thezzaruz Member+

Jun 20, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    [​IMG]
    Close...

EvanJ repped this.
  15. Rufusabc

Rufusabc Member+

May 27, 2004
    And the ball has already been kicked, and the AR Gave the coming back from on OS position wave after the play was over. The Z was walking back and could very well have been more off when the ball was kicked.

16. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm surprised by how different that picture looks compared to what I saw (or what I thought I saw). You can't see the defender's feet, but Ibrahimovic has his left arm and head offside. You like the Swedish national team. How are cameras positioned? Is it possible that a play will look different based on what channel and/or country you're watching it?

17. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    Arm is totally irrelevant for OS.

18. fairplayforlife

fairplayforlife Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This. As well as the fact that if we are going to get as nit picky as using video review and still gram photography the defenders appendages is just as important for determining offside as the attackers. Since we can't see the defenders legs in this still we can't make an accurate determination.

19. Thezzaruz

Thezzaruz Member+

Jun 20, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    I did not produce that picture, it was captured by someone on another forum I visit, think it was from an English source.

I'm pretty sure that the back foot of the defender is found just besides the left hand of Zlatan in that picture.

tomek75 repped this.
  20. fairplayforlife

fairplayforlife Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good catch, I couldn't see it while viewing on my phone. Makes me doubt even more of this is offside.

21. Rufusabc

Rufusabc Member+

May 27, 2004
    Except that in the picture the ball has already been kicked and as I mentioned before Zlatan was walking back from OS position.

22. balu

balu Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    Bobby Madley with Man Utd - Chelsea this weekend. Clattenburg returns to action with Everton - Burnley.

23. Rufusabc

Rufusabc Member+

May 27, 2004
    Going to miss Clatts at Goodison.....:unsure:

15.04.17 13:30 CET
    Tottenham Hotspur - AFC Bournemouth
    Referee: Michael Oliver
    Assistant Referees: Simon Bennett, Stephen Child
    Fourth Official: Paul Tierney

15.04.17 16:00 CET
    Crystal Palace - Leicester City
    Referee: Mike Dean
    Assistant Referees: Simon Long, Edward Smart
    Fourth Official: Mike Jones

Everton - Burnley
    Referee: Mark Clattenburg
    Assistant Referees: Darren Cann, Derek Eaton
    Fourth Official: Roger East

Stoke City - Hull City
    Referee: Stuart Attwell
    Assistant Referees: Jake Collin, Mark Scholes
    Fourth Official: Anthony Taylor

Sunderland - West Ham United
    Referee: Andre Marriner
    Assistant Referees: Simon Beck, Sian Massey-Ellis
    Fourth Official: Martin Atkinson

Watford - Swansea City
    Referee: Lee Mason
    Assistant Referees: Harry Lennard, Ian Hussin
    Fourth Official: Craig Pawson

15.04.17 18:30 CET
    Southampton - Manchester Cty
    Referee: Neil Swarbrick
    Assistant Referees: Scott Ledger, Adrian Holmes
    Fourth Official: Graham Scott

16.04.17 14:30 CET
    West Bromwich Albion - Liverpool
    Referee: Jonathan Moss
    Assistant Referees: Constantine Hatzidakis, Andy Hlliday
    Fourth Official: Kevin Friend

16.04.17 17:00 CET
    Manchester United - Chelsea
    Referee: Robert Madley
    Assistant Referees: Gary Beswick, Peter Kirkup
    Fourth Official: Andre Marriner

17.04.17 21:00 CET
    Middlesbrough - Arsenal
    Referee: Anthony Taylor
    Assistant Referees:Stuart Burt, Adam Nunn
    Fourth Official: Kevin Friend

24. Pierre Head

Pierre Head Member+

Dec 24, 2005
    He has reached the height of fame now. There is a trivia quiz show on TV in England called "15 to 1"
    and he was the answer to a question! (Who was the referee in three Cup Finals in 2016?)
    However the contestant was an older woman and did know the answer!

Uneventful relatively easy game today at Goodison! Obvious PK, no other issues.

PH

25. Rufusabc

Rufusabc Member+

May 27, 2004
    And, he's still got it. Could be the fastest referee out there.