English players Dual Nationality thread

Discussion in 'England' started by Simon Barnes, Apr 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I believe it's possible you got one of your own doing it with the USA.

01-Balogun.
    https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/folarin-balogun/profil/spieler/503770

provisionally capped by England in U17 but played friendlies with USA U18 before going England U18 and now he's with England U18.

I think that type of thing should not be allowed.

2. AJ123

AJ123 Member+

Man Utd
    England
    Feb 17, 2018
    We have a number of players that play for England and another nation: Karamoko Dembele, Louie Barry and Dan Crowley are three in recent times.

3. itfcjoe

itfcjoe Member+

Oct 8, 2014
    Club:
    Ipswich Town FC
    I was at that game, and he totally changed the game when he came on too so a surprise that that is his only one cap.

4. JRSG

JRSG Member+

Mar 25, 2015
    Club:
    Torquay United
  5. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Somewhere in English Arrogance land
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Forgive my ignorance but is he someone that should have been picked for us in this age group? That’s presuming he wanted to play for us in the first place.

Joe Hodge in there again and along with Fiorini with Scotland these days that’s two City Academy players we seem to have sadly lost at the moment.

6. JRSG

JRSG Member+

Mar 25, 2015
    Club:
    Torquay United
    He played as an U16.

Good player. Hard to say that he should have been picked though, there's just too much talent and too few squad places.

7. Garibaldi11

Garibaldi11 Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    On top of McCann/Hodge I see a few other interesting names in Eire squads

Arsenal CB Mark McGuiness in u19 squad(Been with England before)
    Chelsea FWD George Nunn in u18 squad
    West Ham MF Louie Watson in u18 squad

8. JRSG

JRSG Member+

Mar 25, 2015
    Club:
    Torquay United
    McGuiness is another who England could've been a bit cynical with and given a call up. We're slightly short of CBs, he's a monster who may one day end up as a decent one.

9. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    England 'cannot be arrogant' by assuming dual nationality youngsters will choose Three Lion
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/footbal...rrogant-assuming-dual-nationality-youngsters/

that's crazy
    “A lot of people have a lot of different ties, emotions,” he said, explaining how the FA is actively tracking a crop of young players. “We have 75 under-15s on our radar, our ‘long list’, and 55 have dual or more nationality,” Ashworth said. “That could be Scotland, Ireland and Wales as well, but the diversity of our country is thankfully changing.

Marcho Gamgee repped this.
  10. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    He's right but only players who have no chance of representing England choose low class countries like scotland or Wales or Ireland

11. Jenks

Jenks Member+

Feb 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    Such a creepy thing to say.

wellno repped this.
  12. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    I actually find it refreshing that he’s come out and said this. For a long time now I’ve often thought our FA has been arrogant about Dual Nationality qualified players by assuming they would just chose England without putting much effort in, ie: not speaking to Zaha for three years was just criminal imo when so many can/could see his potential but Hodgson/Southgate at the time despite earning very good money and having a whole team of backroom staff etc couldn’t be bothered to pick up the phone and just let’s say have words of comfort for Zaha despite not currently getting picked. That situation was handled very poorly imo.

55 out of 75 of U15’s is just ridiculous though, lol. Imagine how well our FA would do under that FIFA proposal of a compensation scheme? It actually makes sense imo as the other Home Nations could basically neglect their own Youth development policies since we are doing the job for them at our FA’s expense.

Ger90 repped this.
  13. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    I personally don't think England have been arrogant or expectant that dual national players will just pick England. They always seems quite on top of it or aware. The problem is that individual coaches have their own views on players and an individual selection policy. At the end of the day you have to earn your place and compete. You can't end up pandering to players.

The odd thing about Zaha is that it was never really fully explained what happened. He had a fight on the pitch during a game with Ravel. Then there was talk of some type of issue in the changing rooms and teammates questioning his commitment. I think it was Henderson that called him out or something. Then he never played for England again. He was obviously going through a struggling period in his career and was just discarded. Now Southgate seems to act like there was nothing we could have done.

14. AJ123

AJ123 Member+

Man Utd
    England
    Feb 17, 2018
    He disappeared at United and when he first returned to Palace he wasn't tearing up trees initially. By the time his form was becoming interesting the IC were close to getting him to commit to them, they'd been working on him for years. I could be wrong but as far as I remember it, it was more a case of bad timing regarding his reemergence.

TopBanana10 repped this.
  15. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    He delayed the IC switch for quite a long time. Helped get Palace to the FA Cup Final and was their player of the season. It was only in November of the next season that he actually applied to switch. He probably gave up hope after that FA Cup final 2015-16 season.

16. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    Zaha is one player I can never forgive Southgate for losing. What a weapon he would have been in our armery. Now odoi and Sancho are coming through I don't feel so bad

17. Jenks

Jenks Member+

Feb 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    When he was interviewed by the BBC he basically just said that he hadn't heard from England in a long time so just assumed we didn't want him.

Marcho Gamgee repped this.
  18. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Hard to see how it's Southgate's fault. He played Zaha plenty with the under-21s, and Zaha had already decided to switch by the time Southgate took control of the seniors.

19. JRSG

JRSG Member+

Mar 25, 2015
    Club:
    Torquay United
    Zaha was eligible for the 2015 Euros, but didn't play a minute after November 2013 and wasn't even in a squad after March 2014. Think it's fair to say that had a big bearing on his switch and Southgate was at fault.

roverman repped this.
  20. MrSnrub

MrSnrub Member+

Oct 7, 2018
    There's almost certainly more that went on behind the scenes there.

I find it extremely difficult to believe he was England squads till November 2013, then found himself out the picture based on talent.

Coupled with other storys of Henderson having a go at him at half time in the under 21 euro's a few months prior and I don't think this is at all a simple case of him being overlooked.

21. Jenks

Jenks Member+

Feb 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    Was he? Zaha had pretty well documented attitude problems, clearly illustrated by the incident with Morrison, I don't remember anyone being particularly surprised when he stopped getting games at the time.

22. JRSG

JRSG Member+

Mar 25, 2015
    Club:
    Torquay United
    yeah and I think lessons were learned.

Didn't handle Morrison well either.

23. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    #1873 ChristianSur, Mar 19, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2019
    He pulled out of a couple of squads with injury in 2014. Here's one.

24. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Not a fan of these Nigerian sites but just a little something or nothing on a player mentioned a few days ago. Don’t even think he’s in any of the latest squads fwiw.

Edit: sorry he’s in the U18’s Squad, must have initially missed him.

https://www.allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=31449

25. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    L.Nmecha unlikely to play vs England.

on Lukas Nmecha. "We are still waiting for the FIFA clearance to play, but at the moment we do not expect to receive them in the coming days," said coach Stefan Kuntz.