English players Dual Nationality thread

Discussion in 'England' started by Simon Barnes, Apr 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JRSG

JRSG Member+

Mar 25, 2015
    Club:
    Torquay United
    I mean, it could. But that was a completely different scenario. Fair play if Felix just plays for the U20s next year, but you've got to appreciate how playing U21 football for Germany with your brother would be.

Bit different to picking to play in a WC for an African Nation when your U21 career is done.

2. AJ123

AJ123 Member+

Man Utd
    England
    Feb 17, 2018
    Felix is a much better player so it should be easier for him to play for England. Lukas is alright but he's a bit of a big lump up top isn't he.

3. JRSG

JRSG Member+

Mar 25, 2015
    Club:
    Torquay United
    He's talented. Big, quick, aggressive, above average technically. Not easy to be a young lone striker in senior football, suspect he'll have a pretty good career.

Hope the FA are doing their own post mortem on this. Curious with the Elite League, how he could only have picked up 1 U20 cap in all that time.

4. AJ123

AJ123 Member+

Man Utd
    England
    Feb 17, 2018
    He's had a decent first season in the senior game at Preston. He's got a lot of minutes and they're making a push for the playoffs (it would be great to see such an historic club in the Premier League). There's a real lack of goals from him though so he really needs to improve on that or he could be a Kevin Davies v2.0, which isn't a bad thing but not senior international class..

5. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Somewhere in English Arrogance land
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Yeah I do agree that playing with your brother must be a huge pull but I guess there’s no guarantee that Felix would get a call up to Germany U21’s next season to play with his brother either. Will be interesting to see what happens with these two.

6. Sensanetional

Sensanetional Member

Apr 4, 2017
    I do think England definitely need to keep an eye on Felix, especially next season as I feel he's ready to play first-team football. The way he's developed over the last 1-2 years is incredible. The same kinda goes for Fisayo Dele-Bashiru too, although I'm not sure how good he actually is yet.

It's hilarious how in my mind that they've surpassed their older brothers that had much better reputations when coming up through the academy. And that doesn't mean Tom and Lukas aren't still really talented, I'm confident they'll have a great career as well.

7. MrSnrub

MrSnrub Member+

Oct 7, 2018
    #1832 MrSnrub, Mar 15, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2019
    I am staggered Nmecha is in their under 21's, their forward options must be absolutely desperate. Even with his goals in the under 19 Euro's i've always thought Nmecha looked pretty limited for England, though he did look much better in a City shirt. He was particularly poor in the Toulon tournament last year whenever he played.

Reminds me of when Akpom was in the championship, pretty decent all round, never looks like scoring. Really not seen much to suggest he's got a top club future ahead of him.

8. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    it's not desperate, if your looking at 98 age group than yeah there is Serra and J.Eggestein and all the rest are nowhere near high level, so L.Nmecha gives us (for now, since their is always movement in Summer) a 3rd option from that age group from 1st or 2nd division. But next U21 cycle is 98-99, which adds a lot more options if you add 99s to the list.

9. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    to me it's more shocking that anyone would use their 1 time switch to go from one youth NT to another. My opinion is players should only use 1 time switch if one gets a senior NT call up.

David Hurford and Marcho Gamgee repped this.
  10. wellno

wellno Member+

Jul 31, 2016
    Yeah, this. Who knows where Nmecha and the two sides will be at in 5 years time, he's cutting his chances of a senior cap in half IMO.

Ger90 repped this.
  11. hussar

hussar Member+

Jun 24, 2015
    Liverpool's Liam Coyle got his first U21 call-up for Northern Ireland (grandfather rule).

12. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    Can't stand Nigeria..always poaching other country's players

Ger90 repped this.
  13. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I know England usually have issues with Nigeria but we're also starting to get issues from there too.....since the senior NT coach of Nigeria Gernot Rohr is German. And he's been constantly trying to poach players provisionally capped tied and trying to lure ones who aren't. Pre-WC even tried to lure 2 players with WC tickets, lol.

well the one good thing is that most European players with African descent aren't keen on playing for an African team unless no one wants them or they know they won't make it. And usually players avoid African NTs in youth levels until it's senior NT.

roverman repped this.
  14. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Just out of interest but do they ever accuse you ( Germany ) of stealing their players? It’s one thing that ticks me off about them, especially on twitter is that they routinely say we ( England ) steal their players despite being born, raised, educated etc in England. Makes me laugh to be honest.

W.A.S.P. and roverman repped this.
  15. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    not really for us, I think it helps that a lot of the German-Nigerians are mix as in 1 German parent and 1 Nigerian parent. Whereas England it feels to me like it's mostly Nigerian parentage. And in terms of German-Nigerians, that pool of players is not a big one it's like 15 players from 8 age groups and from that 15 it also includes your German-Nigerian-Brits too, like F.Nmecha, L.Nmecha and Bennetts.

I think from Africa, one sees more of a Ghana problem for us. But our real problem is likely Turkey tbh. And Turkey is one country that players will go to play for even in youth NT because they are UEFA.

W.A.S.P. and Marcho Gamgee repped this.
  16. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    an update while we poached L.Nmecha permanently from you guys. Looks like Musiala's name has been erased from the dfb U16 call up. This is like the 2nd or 3rd time it happens.

David Hurford repped this.
  17. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Yeah I guess Turkey for you is like our Wales, Scotland and Ireland. Our geographical location we share with these Countries and then you counter in the good people from Africa & Caribbean etc is a reason why we have and will always have a shallow talent pool to chose from imo. So many of our players can play for other Countries that any fringe player is pretty much game on for someone to take advantage.

Ger90 repped this.
  18. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    it honestly makes me glad when seeing England and France that our player pool is still majority full German. Although the # of duals by the age group is increasing in every subsequent age group. At least for now it's not a huge deterrent. But like you guys we also have FAs all over the world trying to poach our players including Brazil, Argentina, France, Italy etc. We also got some interesting Spanish 03-onwards duals lol.

England does have a big problem with all these duals/triples who plenty want to poach. What also makes your pool shallow is the limited chances for game time for your players too. Very low # of domestic players and other countries take your players.

Another issue is when you have too many duals/triples is that you can't call them all up to the NT. What will happen by default is players will be left out and those guys will be poached. Could also happen to players who aren't happy with being bench options.And these smaller countries are far more likely to call up young players to the senior NT than England ever would.

I don't think we needed L.Nmecha for U21 neither this U21 cycle nor the next one tbh, although it's more options for us in the end. And our current U21 cycle, we've had loads of striker with long term injuries too. DFB says he had a change of heart and wanted to play for Germany. While I think it's more like he didn't want to be a bench option for England youth. What also doesn't help is this, look at Germany and senior NT strikers, outside of Werner there is no one. We could try Petersen/Volland again in recall or call up Selke/Waldschmidt for the 1st time but in terms of senior NT there is an emptiness. Compare that with England with Kane/Rashford/Wilson with seniors and up and comers like Solanke/Abraham/Calvert-Lewin and then guys like Brewster/Greenwood etc. He might feel like breakthrough Germany senior NT will be easier for him. I do think we have some interesting up and coming strikers from 98-onwards but majority of those guys are years and years away from Senior NT. One has to play in 1st division, impress,be constant and be productive and for more than a season to get a call up. Sometimes I feel like Germany loaning strikers is less of a thing than England, so it might take longer than one wants to see. But already a regular in Championship that does give Nmecha a head start over a lot of those his age group and younger than him. If Man City gets a transfer ban like Chelsea that could make him stay at City next season too.

I thought this was interesting from almost 2 years ago, in 2017.
    He added that Fifa may also look into a compensation scheme in cases where a player goes through the training system of one country and represents it a youth level before switching to another.
    https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/41715159

can't say I disagree, countries who develop players should get something out of it even more so if players actually played for the Youth NT get poached. It's those countries that are spending vast resources to train and dev players, they should get something, shouldn't be free players.

speaking of English duals where someone wants to poach 97-Aaron Wan-Bissaka.
    https://www.independent.co.uk/sport...sfer-news-a8825511.html?utm_source=reddit.com

wellno and Marcho Gamgee repped this.
  19. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    there seems to be another City player who is German-Nigerian-Brit. 01-Fisayo Dele-Bashiru, born in Germany according to City site.
    https://www.mancity.com/teams/academy/midfielders/fisayo dele bashiru

his older brother seems to be born in England though. And no idea about their parents, outside of the Nigeria.

from my knowledge this seems to be the list of German-Brits.
    96-Holtby, Hirst
    97-Sambou,Okoroji, N.Wahling
    98-L.Nmecha, Dahmen
    99-K.Bennetts, O.Wahling
    00-F.Nmecha
    01-Glatzel, *Dele-Bashiru*, J.Bennetts
    02-Jordan Meyer (English mother it seems), C.Wahling
    03-Musiala, Mbi

England based: Sambou, L.Nmecha, K.Bennetts (dev in England now playing in Germany), F.Nmecha, Glatzel, Dele-Bashiru, J.Bennetts, Musiala (started football in Germany), Mbi

Plenty of brothers lol, 3 Wahling (there is a 4th a 95 who retired early and became a youth coach), 2 Bennetts, and 2 Nmechas. Believe there were some reports early in 2019 that J.Bennetts trained with the Nigerian U20 squad or something like that.

there could be more especially in the younger age groups.A lot of that stuff one usually gets more info as time passes by. Meyer I believe stated he has a British mother in an interview.

David Hurford and Marcho Gamgee repped this.
  20. AJ123

AJ123 Member+

Man Utd
    England
    Feb 17, 2018
    Doubt that Pep will use Nmecha. He’s the antithesis of a Guardiola player. He’d probably rather play Foden or Gundogan as a striker.

Ger90 repped this.
  21. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    You make some excellent points, good post, I especially agree about a compensation system as that makes sense imo however not sure anything will come from it since that article was back in 2017 and not heard anything since but you never know, maybe these things take time to finalise. I do think the rules need tightening up as there is far to much hoping about between Nations imo, makes a bit of a mockery of International football and I include the Zaha and Rice situations. Not sure at what cut of you have to decide where your loyalties lie but I think some sort of change is needed.

Just on AWB, I’m not overly worried about his situation just yet mainly because the Congo National team manager stated that he didn’t answer his phone or even return the call so one would presume so for the moment I think he will stick with us, especially with the U21 finals coming up but I think we have to get him into the first team squad after the Summer imo. One problem is our apparent depth in the right back area, I actually think Trippier will get phased out at some point soon especially if his current form continues but he’s still got Walker and TAA to get passed, we also have two really good up and coming players in Reece James and then our U19 right back Max Aaron’s who is the starting rightback for Norwich in the Championship. The competition is going to be pretty fierce and he might think long term Congo will be the easier path but hopefully he wants the challenge and stays with us.

roverman and Ger90 repped this.
  22. AJ123

AJ123 Member+

Man Utd
    England
    Feb 17, 2018
    I don’t think there’s a better defensive full back, possibly anywhere, than AWB. You would have thought he’d be absolutely ideal for tournaments when you need to shut down cagey games with some dogged defending. Personally I think he should be integrated into the seniors straight away. TAA and Trippier are like for like so do we really need them both?

David Hurford repped this.
  23. Ste walker

Ste walker Member

Dec 2, 2016
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    I don’t think this cap ties Lukas Nmecha to Germany as its only friendlies, any info to suggest otherwise?

24. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    DFB national teams sporting director Joti Chatzialexiou added: “Lukas Nmecha declared his interest to play for his country of birth, Germany, to us. We would like to fully support the player with this intention. Consequently, we sent an urgent appeal to FIFA regarding a switch in nationality so that he can play for Germany U21s. Regardless of whether this decision is approved or not, this international break provides Lukas with the opportunity to get to know his teammates.”

so if it's approved on time, he's playing if it isn't he'll have to wait until next time to play for Germany. Either way, they applied to a 1 time switch. I don't see why FIFA will reject if this his 1st ever involvement with Germany, as he was exclusively England Youth NT.

25. JRSG

JRSG Member+

Mar 25, 2015
    Club:
    Torquay United
    Always hard to know with football, but you presume it's a done deal.

One thing (unrelated to this situation even if it applies) I wonder is if a player could just play a friendly without actually officially switching? Feels like they should have to because they're still Fifa recognised games with caps, but it's not entirely clear where the line is drawn.