English players Dual Nationality thread

Discussion in 'England' started by Simon Barnes, Apr 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    We only have Vardy in there because of the U21 tournament taking up some players. JWP would've probably gotten a call up then of course Kane/Berahino/Ings

2. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Vardy is in there because of injuries and the U21 eligible players.

3. dbs235

dbs235 Member

Mar 30, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I know, but if we can survive with having Vardy in the squad then I'm sure we could cope with having Grealish in there too.

4. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Somewhere in English Arrogance land
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    I think at the moment its a bit to early for him but hes got bags of potential so getting him involved in the set up might not be a bad idea. I can see him blossoming over the next few years so think its worth while getting him involved in some capacity.

5. sendorange

sendorange Member+

Jun 7, 2003
    Bigsoccer.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Grealish is not ready for the seniors, although he'd have been a good option for left wing in the U21s this summer.

6. Jenks

Jenks Member+

Feb 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    vardy tho

7. IGSpur

IGSpur Member

Apr 14, 2015
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    CCV got an assist for US at the u20 WC in their first match

8. IGSpur

IGSpur Member

Apr 14, 2015
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    This is article is from the end of March and it still seems as though England have made no attempt to contact him.

http://americansoccernow.com/articles/cameron-carter-vickers-it-all-happened-so-quickly

9. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    He doesn't say that and I think that there's basically no chance that that's the case. All we know is that the FA hadn't made contact when he started playing for the US last summer at the age of 16, but he's had a lot more press this season than he'd ever had before, and made big strides at Spurs.

To be honest, I got the opposite impression from the wording of that article: "at that point, England had never shown interest in him" seems to imply that they've done so since then.

10. IGSpur

IGSpur Member

Apr 14, 2015
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Ye he doesn't specify so I was putting words in when they weren't there but he says

“I think it always would be a tough decision but I like playing for America,” Carter-Vickers said. “Obviously, I would have to think long and hard about such a decision but at the moment I enjoy playing for America and I couldn’t see myself playing for England.”

This sounds like to me that while he enjoys playing for US he is almost waiting for England to contact him. When he says 'I would have to think long and hard' it sounds like he hasn't been put in the position to make that decision at the moment, which implies he still hasn't been contact, but that's not to say he isn't on the FA's radar.

He had another great game today, hit the post with a header and was generally a rock at the back. Commentators and some US fans ahve said really positive things.

11. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    I would think that there were two stages really. Firstly, the FA would have to contact him to sound him out, and I would be amazed and frankly appalled if they haven't done this. They employ people whose entire job is talent identification, so it would be hugely remiss. However, the second stage is actually calling someone into a squad, and clearly they haven't tried to do that, which suggests to me that Carter-Vickers hasn't indicated any desire to switch at the moment.

But then, why would he? He's played competitive games for the US youth teams so a switch now would be irreversible. As promising as he might look, there is absolutely no guarantee that he'll ever be good enough for the England senior team, while he might fall short but still be good enough for the US. As long as he's enjoying his experience with the US, which he certainly seems to be, it makes far more sense for him to play with them for a few years and defer the decision. If they try to call him up for a competitive senior game, then he has a decision to make. If he develops to the point where he's good enough for a senior England call-up, then he also has a decision to make. But right now, he doesn't need to make a decision and is better off keeping his options open by sticking with the US.

I mean, that's what I'd do in his place, regardless of my hopes for the future. It's encouraging to hear that he grew up supporting England though. Surely that gives us a good chance.

IGSpur repped this.
  12. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    You would think so but wasnt Lewis Holtby a big England fan but he still chose Germany. Mind you, dont think the FA contacted him either.

13. Jenks

Jenks Member+

Feb 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    Holtby all but admitted in a Spurs interview that he would have played for England had they approached him first. CCV is using language that keeps the Americans happy, but keeps the door open for England too. The same thing all eligibles do when they're waiting to see how good they'll be.

14. TRS-T

TRS-T Member

Aug 21, 2014
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    I wouldn't want Holtby to play for us anyway since he was born and raised in Germany.

15. Jenks

Jenks Member+

Feb 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    He was raised to support England though, in what sounds like a very English household.

IGSpur repped this.
  16. TRS-T

TRS-T Member

Aug 21, 2014
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Isn't his mom German though?

17. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Yeah but his dad was a British soldier from Liverpool who was stationed in Germany. Holtby grew up supporting Everton. He probably would've gotten into the England squad for Euro 2012 and been in both U21 squads for 2011 and 2013.

18. sinner78

sinner78 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 7, 2001
    Germany put Holtby through all their age groups and developed him. It would have been poor form to swoop in and pick him after they put all the work in. Thats what usually happens to us and nations like France .

TRS-T and The Potter repped this.
  19. Jenks

Jenks Member+

Feb 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    Not much different to Dier being educated in Portugal. I think international football is supposed to be about a shared identity and culture rather than our youth system versus yours, that's partly why it transcends club football in the first place IMO.

20. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
  21. Jenks

Jenks Member+

Feb 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    So he's basically just said that Sterling shouldn't play for England.

22. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    The most interesting development is that Grealish apparently made contact with the FA and has spoken to them recently.

23. Jenks

Jenks Member+

Feb 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    It was actually his agent.

24. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Oh right I was going off a tweet from an Irish journalist but didn't know it was via his agent. Still will have to have been done with Grealish's consent.

25. The Guardian

The Guardian Member+

Jul 31, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    LOL After today's game (in particular) there will be quite a few saying that.