English players Dual Nationality thread

Discussion in 'England' started by Simon Barnes, Apr 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Difficult to tell from the Statutes. It's phrased as follows:

"He is not permitted to play for his new association in any competition in which he has already played for his previous association."

...so it depends on whether "any competition" means the 2018/19 Under-17 Euros specifically, or the Under-17 Euros in general. I suspect the former, but it's worth bearing in mind that doing what you describe would mean using up his one switch, so he's unlikely to do it unless he's already fixed on playing for England.

2. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Actually, didn't McGuane go to the under-17 Euros with Ireland and England in successive years?

JRSG repped this.
  3. JRSG

JRSG Member+

Mar 25, 2015
    Club:
    Torquay United
    that's a good point.

4. wellno

wellno Member+

Jul 31, 2016
    It's based on tournament cycles. You can do two tournaments in two successive years for two countries but you can't play qualifiers for one country then switch to the other for the tournament proper as it's the same cycle.

5. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
  6. JRSG

JRSG Member+

Mar 25, 2015
    Club:
    Torquay United
    I think International football is just a bit brutal for African players.

There's so much travelling, the logistics aren't as easy, the comfort levels are below what they're used to at their clubs, there's loads of politics going on behind the scenes. the pressure is huge, the qualification campaigns make things as tough as possible for the big teams, there's so much turnover etc etc.

It's a huge advantage for England when it comes to retaining players. Guys like Aina + Iwobi may enjoy it through one WC cycle, but I bet it'll begin to grind them down from here on out. Two World Cups and an Afcon win was probably enough for Moses.

People like Chuba Akpom will always be options for them if they get to their early 20s and things have stagnated a bit, but I think the only worry England would have of a big defection is if a group of 4 or 5 decided to all go together. I thought for a moment that we could see that with Aina, Abraham, Tomori, Akpon and some more of that group going en masse. But, I think England is such a safe option for the time being.

Moses has had a good little career for himself though, nothing to be ashamed of and i'm sure he doesn't have any regrets. As always, i'm sure there will be loads of turnover from this Nigeria squad to the next one despite it being a young one. Is always the case, especially when you're parachuting in people with the enticement of a WC spot.

W.A.S.P. and ChristianSur repped this.
  7. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1282 ChuckMe92, Aug 19, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2018
    England U17 and Arsenal U18/U23 striker Folarin Balogun, born in New York, is being called up by USA U18s for a tournament in the Czech Republic. The US federation has obviously been monitoring him and contacting him for a while. He is provisionally cap-tied to England due to playing in the U17 European Championship. It is unclear whether he will file a switch or if he will only train with the US.

Edit: Wolves starlet Owen Otasowie, also born in New York, is also on the US U18 squad. He signed a pro deal with Wolves upon their promotion to the Premier League.

8. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    not liking how much dual nationals are extremely fickle these days.

I recall not long ago, there was more patience on their parts once they chose a country. Nowadays they go back and forth between countries, extremely undecided bunch.

look at Balogun, chooses England, plays in the U17 EC, misses the last PK in a shootout, then 3 months later jumps to the US, even if it's training only, why do it? Where's the loyalty or patience? We are not even talking about years passing by...

I think it's not smart for players to use their one time switch when they are still youth players. Use that once it's senior level and you know where you stand. Also being ignored in the youth levels matters little, so many players get ignored/left out in the youth levels make it in the seniors.

9. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm pretty shocked by the callup. My sense was Balogun was going to try to push his limits exclusively with England, at least at the youth levels. The US already tried to call him before the U17 EC and he accepted the provisionally-tying England callup instead. My guess is it's only training because it doesn't make any sense to file a one-time switch, but who knows.

Ger90 repped this.
  10. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    The tournament isn’t competitive so Balogun can still represent the US in it without it creating any eligibility issues.

ChuckMe92 and David Hurford repped this.
  11. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Somewhere in English Arrogance land
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Speaking of weird situations, Dembele is on the bench for Scotland U17’s today. He was playing for England U16’s not long ago but continues to play for both Countries.

12. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Confirmed that Balogun has not filed a switch and can play for the US in these friendly matches.

13. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008

14. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Can’t make my mind up whether to go in and have a peek at that Twitter feed and see the Irish having a complete meltdown just like the Grealish saga.......oh go on then, let’s have a peek, it should be fun.

David Hurford repped this.
  15. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Wales have also called up Brennan Johnson of Forest to an U19 training camp. 2001 born option who has played U16 & U17 level with England.

16. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Germany U16 have called up Jamal Musiala and Bright Arrey-Mbi.

Musiala seems to flip flop a lot, seems undecided. Cap tied games are next year in the U17 level, whether for England or Germany, he still has time.

17. JRSG

JRSG Member+

Mar 25, 2015
    Club:
    Torquay United
    I don't think there's much worry that they won't come back. I do wonder if Germany will ever revise their strategy if these English kids keep taking up spots but never stay in the system.

Btw, how come Moukoko isn't in the German U16s? I know he's not actually 13, so are Germany just trying not to get too involved with him yet?

18. David Hurford

David Hurford Member

West Ham
    England
    Jul 15, 2017
  19. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    I wonder why our FA have approached him now? I mean, I can’t imagine he gets into our senior Squad yet and he can’t play for our U21’s unless it’s friendlies so I wonder what the pulling promise would be? I guess he will still be eligible for the next U21 cycle as a start but that’s another year away.

20. wellno

wellno Member+

Jul 31, 2016
    Given Ireland have competitive fixtures coming up it's now or never. he same with any pitch to a player like this - everyone knows it's going to be a longer road. They've got to want the potential rewards at the end enough.

21. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    I’m not sure our FA have contacted him recently. Southgate mentioned him being on England’s radar in January 2018. Maybe he’s just reassessed his options after the summer and backed off confirming things for now.

David Hurford repped this.
  22. greengrass81

greengrass81 Member

Manchester United
    Aug 2, 2015
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Whats there to think about ?. O Neill should tell him to do one. You either want to play for your country or you don't .

It seems Rice has changed his agent over the summer . So he has obviously been in his ear. But that's no excuse for him stringing us along like Grealish. In fact he is worse than Grealish because Rice stated he was always fully committed to us, where as Grealish was always reluctant to nail his colours to the mast

He wouldn't string Southgate along, so what gives him the right to take O' Neill and the Irish supporters for a ride.

23. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
    I'm not surprised the other Home Nations and the Republic are trying to get English born players.

Their current squads are awful.

24. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
    Oh diddums.

25. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    While we have a bunch of talented enough players thoughout our U17-U21 setups.