England's Best 10 strikers

Discussion in 'England' started by Alan D, Sep 17, 2006.

1. three lions

three lions Member

Apr 2, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    yep, our football has gone backwards... Capello must be a lunatic..

2. J'can

J'can Member+

Jul 3, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Hate to point out hte obvious but most forwards compared to Torres and Villa is a joke.

carry on

3. thepremierleague

Mar 14, 2001
    London
    Nat'l Team:
    England

Heskey holds the ball up well and makes space, but he is not clinical enough to score when we play a Brazil or Spain. He needs 3 or 4 chances to come close.

4. thepremierleague

Mar 14, 2001
    London
    Nat'l Team:
    England

Well Rooney and Defoe are the closest we have, which is a damn sight closer then Heskey!

I do think Heskey has a use but mainly as a sub.

5. three lions

three lions Member

Apr 2, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Capello has done an excellent job of making the tactical adjustments during matches. I'm sure he will make the right moves when the time arises.

6. thepremierleague

Mar 14, 2001
    London
    Nat'l Team:
    England

Sure, Heskey does what he is asked well. It's worked so far.

I just fear when we play the big teams we will have to rely too much on our midfield to score goals when Heskey plays. Even Rooney is not a goal machine.

7. barroldinho

barroldinho Member+

Man Utd and LA Galaxy
    England
    Aug 13, 2007
    US/UK dual citizen in HB, CA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Rooney has been played to his strengths in qualification and was prolific. For midfielders, Gerrard and Lampard are as prolific as you get. In fact they're as prolific at their best as some forwards. By using Heskey, you tap into three players scoring potential (at least), while most other options have the natural effect of requiring all three to temper their scoring in order to perform supportive roles. By switching out Heskey you probably don't gain anything.

Quick word while people are ripping into Heskey and Crouch. I still feel that Crouch is being judged by the negative hype that surrounded him in his early Liverpool days. Let's not forget that he become far more clinical for them and has remained so since. The mistake some England fans make is to judge the aesthetic appeal of Heskey and Crouch to the pace, skill and finishing of the likes of Torres and Eto'o. They aren't that type of player and while they don't look spectacular, they offer something to England and their club teams.

Also, I notice everyone now throwing Defoe's name out, clearly based on his current form for Spurs. However, don't forget the numerous games where he has been tried and failed for England. Hopefully his current form is based on experience and coming-of-age and can be carried over to England, but given our system he should probably be more of an alternative/cover to Rooney than a starting partner.

8. thepremierleague

Mar 14, 2001
    London
    Nat'l Team:
    England

Defoe has actually been on a decent scoring run for England recently.
    He needs more starts.

For me crouch's 1 in 2 scoring record is impressive. If Heskey hasn't managed
    to score against the same so called "poor" opposition, what does that say about him?

9. sendorange

sendorange Member+

Jun 7, 2003
    Bigsoccer.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Defoe's record under Capello is nearly a goal a game. He has improved a lot as a player in the last year, also having a manager at international level who believes in him and uses him regularly is somewhat of a help as well.

10. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    Would you like to address any of the points I raised in my post or will you continue to squirm?

11. thepremierleague

Mar 14, 2001
    London
    Nat'l Team:
    England

From what I saw you didn't have a point.

Crouch has scored half the times he has played for England,
    Heskey does not score against ANY opposition weak or strong.
    Oh wait Khazakstan...

Have I missed something or is the point of strikers to score goals?

12. sendorange

sendorange Member+

Jun 7, 2003
    Bigsoccer.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Heskey has scored two goals in 6 years, one against Slovakia in a 4-0 friendly win and one against Kazakhstan. So to try to use Crouch's scoring record in an unfavourable light to Heskey's is nonsense.

Heskey does offer a lot more in support and holdup play hence Capello favouring him, however Crouch does more than just score against crap teams and hence why Capello has been happy to keep using him as an alternate.

13. barroldinho

barroldinho Member+

Man Utd and LA Galaxy
    England
    Aug 13, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I agree that he's improved and if Capello can work him into the team as a strong partner for Rooney, that would be excellent. The question is, would he do that while Heskey is performing a very effective proven role in getting the best out of the teams other goal scorers?

In terms of his recent England record, noted, but barring the Holland game, the quality of the opposition he's scored past is no more impressive than Crouch. Though Defoe undoubtedly is the more talented of the two.

You have missed something. Usually Strikers are expected to score goals and obviously in most cases it's their primary function. However, in Heskey's case it clearly isn't - otherwise he'd be dropped by now. What Capello has done is taken the usual system of a creative forward and strong target man and switched their roles. Whereas the target man is usually relied upon to score goals and the SS chips in with goals, but also creates chances for his partner, Heskey exists primarily to create chances for others.

Having Heskey, Rooney, Gerrard, Lampard and Lennon in our frontline ensures we cover a diverse number of attacking options:

Lennon, Rooney and Gerrard (somewhat) + the advancing of the fullbacks provides us with the ability to run at defenses both centrally and with width.

Lampard, Gerrard, Rooney, Lennon + Barry give us the ability to pass the ball around in the attacking third and retain possession, while also having players in and around the box who can strike from distance or provide defence-splitting passes.

Heskey ensures that we also have a constant aerial option and along with the rest of our frontline knows how to move both on and off the ball to create space.

Crouch and Defoe may enhance our ground game somewhat, though it cuts out the aerial option if they replace Heskey (Crouch being relatively poor in the air despite his height), while Carlton Cole is unproven.

Bent can perform a role (though is also unproven), but that would mean players working to provide HIM with service. He isn't much of a playmaker and inserted into our system he lessens our diversity.

So that's what you were missing in terms of Heskey. Given the nuances of his role, complaining about his scoring rate is like complaining about Gareth Barry's: that's not why he's there.

14. Molby

Molby Member

May 14, 2007
    It is very hard to picture Crouch or Heskey as being a better partner than an in-form Defoe.

I guess that's why I'm not managing the team...

15. thepremierleague

Mar 14, 2001
    London
    Nat'l Team:
    England

I see the point of Heskey and it works against Croatia, Khazakstan and Ukraine etc And it will work against the quality in the World cup group.

But at the next level against Brazil, Spain, Holland that tactic
    may run out of steam when you need clinical men upfront.

With Heskey England are basically playing with 1 upfront
    who himself is not a massive goal scorer, Rooney.

If a centre forward never scores and is only involved in link play he stops being centre forward, who's primary job is to SCORE first.

England is all about the midfield at the moment for goals.

16. barroldinho

barroldinho Member+

Man Utd and LA Galaxy
    England
    Aug 13, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Don't be mislead by Rooney's goalscoring for Man Utd over the last three years. He has been routinely played in positions that are as much about supporting the forward line as finishing chances. This was purely to optimise Ronaldo. Rooney has scored plenty this season and has been prolific internationally throughout this campaign.

Also, England's reliance on midfield goals isn't as dicey as most teams. Gerrard is almost a second striker for Liverpool and is a very prolific midfielder. Ditto Lampard. One of Capello's biggest keys was to get those two players doing what they do best, while being compatible together.

I believe this is because he is more specific and stringent in the roles he applies. Under McClaren and Sven, Gerrard and Lampard were often competing for the same space as that's what their instincts led them to do.

17. thepremierleague

Mar 14, 2001
    London
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Well yes Gerrard and Lampard will really have to get forward as much
    as possible if England are to get enough goals. It's worked so far.

I think this England will be like France in 1998. They won
    it with the midfield quality not the strikers.

Rooney will get goals, let's hope it's enough. Defoes recent
    record for England is promising, he could be good for
    the second half when teams are tired.

18. GranCanMan

GranCanMan Member

Jan 12, 2007
    Manchester
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I'd much rather we bring on a player who is going to improve the play of the side as a whole, than bring on a player who's expected, in an individual capacity, to make a difference on his own because of his abnormal height. Crouch comes on and the first thing we all think is "knock it up to him and let him bring it down for others", and no doubt that is what every single other player starts thinking as well. But knocking long balls up to the striker is not the way forward and any defence worth it's salt can repel that type of approach. We saw it in Germany in 2006. We saw it against Croatia for the Euro 2008 qualifiers. As good as his goals were, the teams over-all play around him was poor in that game and it showed in how we conceded again so soon after. It weas ther result of a failure to retain possession.

We do need to address how we chase games, and knocking the ball up in a battering ram fashion is not the way to break down well drilled defences. But, like it or lump it, Crouch encourages this approach. Maybe it's not his fault, but it's true. When we're under pressure, Lampard and Gerrard love nothing more than to relieve the collective pressure on themselves and the team and knock it forward to Crouch but he's useless at retaining possession against defences who press the play. When Heskey gets the ball atleast he's capable of turning and running with the ball. Crouch isn't and this result in a delay of play which more often than not see's us giving it away again.

My other gripe is that he gives free kicks away at a ridiculous rate. Heskey might fall over, but at least he wins his fair share of freekicks. Crouch gives far too many freekicks away. His elbows are a liability. Even if defenders aren't touched and he's not at fault, they know to exploit this and use his height against him and they do. Again, not his fault, but it's all true and it's a potential weakness we can't afford to take with us, if you ask me.

19. RoyOfTheRovers

Jul 24, 2009
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    [What would any England fan give to have a Tommy Lawton or Shearer available for Eng. selection right now? I remember when players like John Ayteo & Les Ferdinand were around the 4th or 5th spot in the Eng. fwds. pecking order. Now, either 1 of them would STROLL into the starting XI, IMO.]

20. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I'd much rather we bring on a player who is going to improve the play of the side as a whole, than bring on a player who's expected, in an individual capacity, to make a difference on his own because of his abnormal height.

case closed

21. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    The sad part is it is regularly his fault because Crouch believes that he needs to use his arms to climb all over the opposition in order to win a header.

22. thepremierleague

Mar 14, 2001
    London
    Nat'l Team:
    England

Often we use Heskey to lump the ball to him as well so Crouch is not much different.

At least crouch has technical ability and can link play,
    he is not a typical big target man.

If I was relying on Heskey or Crouch to get a goal, I know who
    I'd back, and the goal records overwhelmingly support Crouch.

Even Villa are not playing Heskey regularly, is Martin O'neil
    an idiot?

23. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    If Crouch can 'link play' then why has he completely failed to do so for England?

24. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    crouch cant hold the ball up and is weak

25. jd34

jd34 Red Card

Dec 5, 2009
    I concede we need Heskey as the target man, even though I think he's nothing more than a fat lump.

Owen though - I wish he could score more goals and become a consideration again. He's a reliable striker that gets the job done (abit like Anelka).