England Under 21 Discussions Thread #7

Discussion in 'England' started by revelationx, Nov 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sharpovic

sharpovic Member+

May 20, 2010
    As much as I like him I thought Maddison had a very average game. Dowell and Foden different class. For Germany I think I'd drop Lookman for Choudhury, to play Dowell Choudhury deeper with Maddison 10 and Foden more on the right.

David Hurford repped this.
  2. wellno

wellno Member+

Jul 31, 2016
    Kind of reminiscent of a senior performance and not in a good way. Better players than the opposition but finding it difficult to create chances.

The full backs came inside a lot. I'd much rather have seen them stretching the play.

ESBFC123 and David Hurford repped this.
  3. sharpovic

sharpovic Member+

May 20, 2010
    nothing worrying IMO. Should have been 2 or 3/0 up at half time. Then we became a bit predictable against a parked bus but some very interesting spells.

4. JRSG

JRSG Member+

Mar 25, 2015
    Club:
    Torquay United
    What would people have as their 23 for the Euros?

Not allowed to pick Winks, TAA, RLC, Sancho etc cause they're not in contention.

One thing i'm worried about is England bringing KWP, AWB, Kenny + a left back. Maybe even Sessegnon too. Rather than being aggressive and just bringing one right back, Maitland-Niles, KWP + Dasilva. So KWP for two positions and Maitland-Niles as a midfielder.

Same with the attackers, not sure who will drop out, but we can't bring them all.

5. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    That was overall OK I thought. I’m still not keen on the balance in midfield. Need a AMN or Choudury in one of the CM roles. The next friendly will highlight whether we have haven’t made an element of progress.

TopBanana10 repped this.
  6. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    We need to host a tournament some time soon.

7. David Hurford

David Hurford Member

West Ham
    England
    Jul 15, 2017
    I thought it was a typical performance we would get in a tournament, so in that way a good test. Lots of hype for certain players, unable to break the opposition down, and getting caught on the sucker. When will we learn :( ...Nelson and foden were excellent though

8. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Somewhere in English Arrogance land
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Not sure if this has been mentioned but apparently both AWB and Abraham have withdrawn from the Squad due to injury.

9. TopBanana10

TopBanana10 Member+

Millwall
    England
    Sep 8, 2018
    It’s a shame Mason Mount has been injured for the last two squads as he could potentially bring a lot to the table.

He’s back in full training with Derby now, so hopefully he can get his good form and squad place back.

10. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    very early but what can you do.... UEFA scheduling. Turkey who is in your group for the 2021 U21 Euro Qualifiers won their 1st game 2-1 vs Albania and thus pick up 3 pts. Both goals were by German-Turks too.

11. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    #9486 Marcho Gamgee, Mar 23, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2019
    Ok, will give this a go but it’s quite tough:

Edit: whilst doing this, I hadn’t realised how hard this is as im leaving out some top players:

Gk

Gunn
    Henderson
    Woodman

Def

AWB
    James
    Kelly ( covers cb and lb )
    Fry ( covers cb and rb )
    Konsa
    Tomori
    DaSilva

Mid:

AMN
    Mount
    Foden
    Maddison
    Dowell
    Choudury

Forwards:

Gray
    Hudson-Odoi ( if not available then Lookman )
    Nelson
    Barnes
    Abraham
    Solanke
    Calvert-Lewin

Can’t believe I’m leaving out players like Sessegnon, Lookman, KWP, Clarke-Salter, Kenny, Adams, Choudury etc but I can’t fit them in which is painful. One issue was that I couldn’t really decide between Nelson, Lookman & Sessegnon ( had him in originally but with Kelly covering left back also, I thought we need a extra right sided player in Gray ) but wouldn’t be unhappy with any of them selected tbh. Obviously defensive midfield is the main worry with Cook and Longstaff out injured but thought we need AMN just for his defensive role and he’s better on the ball than Choudury imo but we are really short in that area in general. I’ve also included Reece James just because he’s a quality right back and in emergency situations he can cover a midfield spot which might be really important given our deficiencies in that area.

Honestly, even without the obvious senior players like Sancho, RLC, Winks, Chilwell, TAA, Alli, Rashford and Gomez that could be available in theory, this has been one of the toughest squad selections for a U21 Squad that I can remember. I honestly don’t want to go through this again, lol and I kind of feel for Boothroyd. What a tough call!

Edit: sorry just realised I was one short so have added Choudury for extra midfield cover.

sharpovic repped this.
  12. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    Looks like abraham and bissaka have been tapped up

13. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    What makes you think that?

14. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    Because bissaka being chased by congo and abraham by nigeria

15. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Well yeah but I wouldn’t worry about it, they are only injured plus Abraham has already turned down Nigeria and can’t honestly see either of them going anywhere whilst there is a U21 Championship to compete in this Summer.

roverman repped this.
  16. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Abraham’s could be a great target man who can finish judging by how easily he’s handled the champ

Wan bissaka could be a consideration if he keeps improving

I don’t rate trippier or Walker myself so him and taa should be battling itnout

17. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    TopBanana10 repped this.
  18. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Presumably that's something like this:

Barnes Solanke Gray
    Foden Dowell Davies
    Sessegnon Clarke-Salter Fry Walker-Peters
    Henderson​

19. TopBanana10

TopBanana10 Member+

Millwall
    England
    Sep 8, 2018
    Still trying to get my head around that line up.

20. TopBanana10

TopBanana10 Member+

Millwall
    England
    Sep 8, 2018
    Ahhh... Sessegnon at left back. That makes more sense.

21. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    I think it's the only way to make sense of it. The only other likely option is KWP, and then I can't see who would be at right-back. Doesn't look like a back three either.

22. TopBanana10

TopBanana10 Member+

Millwall
    England
    Sep 8, 2018
    I think you're right and to be honest, I'd be happy to see Sessegnon playing as a left back again. There's too much competition further forward for him to stand out.

23. sharpovic

sharpovic Member+

May 20, 2010
    the number of changes is a bit risky especially at the back but I can understand than Bootroyd wants to assess all his options

24. hussar

hussar Member+

Jun 24, 2015
    Where's Wan Bissaka again?

25. Juni

Juni Member+

Nov 26, 2010
    Club:
    Chelsea FC