England Under 21 Discussions Thread #7

Discussion in 'England' started by revelationx, Nov 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Eleven Sports have the rights now, so you can pay to watch it online, or you can... well, not pay to watch it online. No idea whether the coverage will be any good.

2. The Potter

The Potter Member+

Aug 26, 2004
    England
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Yeah that's what I feared, they did the golf and it was awful. They could get away with it more with the PGA as well since they were using the CBS stream, god help La Liga fans in the UK.

3. Jenks

Jenks Member+

Feb 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    W.A.S.P. repped this.
  4. David Hurford

David Hurford Member

West Ham
    England
    Jul 15, 2017
    Watching man city dortmund in the icc was fun. Check out sancho v roberts. Sancho destroyed him

5. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    I think the problem Roberts might have is that, although there aren't a ton of of great right-sided forwards in the age-groups below, there is a glut of very exciting left-sided forwards and some of them will probably have to shift over. In the 2000s alone, Sancho, Hudson-Odoi, and Sessegnon can't all play in their favoured position for England, so he may well be competing with one or more of them. Throw in Nelson etc. and consider that Sterling probably has a good while left, and Roberts will be doing very well to come out on top of the pile.

I won't write him off yet though. He's an absolutely magical dribbler at his best, and he scores enough too. No reason why he can't still develop into a top player.

TopBanana10 repped this.
  6. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Somewhere in English Arrogance land
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    I always wondered whether it would be worth shifting Roberts to a more central attacking role in the future. Great at dribbling in tight spaces and can make those creative game changing passes. Always thought it might be worth a try, especially as wide areas seems to be a strong point for us but centrally we are lacking.

7. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    I've seen him play centrally quite a few times. He's never looked as convincing as he does coming in off the right.

But I'm not sure we're lacking in that advanced central area going forward, are we? There's Alli, possibly Loftus-Cheek, Maddison, Mount, Hughes was playing there last season, potentially Foden, potentially Gomes if he makes it, maybe one of Sancho or Hudson-Odoi, the Future England Senior International himself... It's not a significantly clearer route to the team, to my mind.

8. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    #8683 Marcho Gamgee, Aug 17, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2018
    Oh right, I can’t remember him playing more of a central attacking role but I don’t doubt what you say.

Yeah I’m not sure we are lacking but I just think competition might be less fierce than on the wide areas. I know what your saying with Maddison, Mount, Foden, I would also throw Grealish and Smith-Rowe ( potentially) in there also but some will unfortunately fall off the wayside plus injuries which will always happen might mean a more opening in that area where as on the wings I think competition will be more fierce ( Sancho, CHO, Gray, Lookman, Sterling, Rashford, Ojo, etc and I’m sure more will appear over the next few years) Alli I just don’t see as an creative spark in that way, I personally think he feeds of creativity with his runs into the box, RLC I’m not sure as an attacking midfielder ( number 10 ) either tbh, would rather see him deeper but that’s just my preference. Hughes is an interesting one though, I’ve always been a big admirer and if he has some luck without injuries could be an good option.

ChristianSur repped this.
  9. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    W.A.S.P., hussar and Jenks repped this.
  10. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
    Chilwell, Gray and Maddison all started as well.

In fact, Leicester started 6 English players.

W.A.S.P., Marcho Gamgee and hussar repped this.
  11. JRSG

JRSG Member+

Mar 25, 2015
    Club:
    Torquay United
    Ezra Konsa is flying at Brentford. Could be making a huge leap this year.

12. hussar

hussar Member+

Jun 24, 2015
    Josh Sims to Reading on a season long loan. Good decision, he should play week in, week out now.

David Hurford repped this.
  13. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    It appears that Everton turned down a bid of 22 mil from Leipzig for Lookman. I just worry that lightning will strike again and we have another Zaha situation. Everton refusing to sell him/loan him or play him so ends up being ignored by Boothroyd and our FA and then Nigeria will pounce and take advantage.

W.A.S.P. and David Hurford repped this.
  14. AJ123

AJ123 Member+

Man Utd
    England
    Feb 17, 2018
    Looks like Clarke-Salter had a good game again and is part of a good defence so far. Should get a lot of minutes this season. Just what he needs after wasting away at Chelsea for too long and a bad loan to a dysfunctional Sunderland team.

hussar repped this.
  15. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    dbs235, Garibaldi11, W.A.S.P. and 4 others repped this.
  16. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Lookman not even on the Everton bench tonight?!? I wonder if his move is imminent as surely he would have been involved in the League Cup tonight.

17. hussar

hussar Member+

Jun 24, 2015
    I guess he will be going then

18. Jenks

Jenks Member+

Feb 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
  19. AJ123

AJ123 Member+

Man Utd
    England
    Feb 17, 2018
    Looks like Mount is getting into the grove. He needs to learn to look after the ball better though otherwise he'll just end up as another Dele Alli type player.

England really need a 10 like David Silva and a 6 like Jorginho so we can dominate the ball.

20. PalaceAcad

PalaceAcad New Member

Crystal Palace
    England
    Jul 14, 2018
    Bissaka red vs Liverpool, so missed the Watford game. Played against Swansea on Tuesday and for me was MoTM.

Southgate watched him and TAA the other night.

If it was up to me i would keep Bissaka at U21's.

21. Jenks

Jenks Member+

Feb 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    1035169449660350467 is not a valid tweet id

W.A.S.P. and David Hurford repped this.
  22. Garibaldi11

Garibaldi11 Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Joe Worrall to Rangers on loan tomorrow. Not happy one bit about it but at least he will get games and continue his fight with the competitive 97 born group of CBs for the Euros. His last game v Ukraine he was excellent.

23. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/spo...ertons-latest-stance-ademola-lookman-15093148

Looks like Lookman will be staying at Everton! Real shame as he will likely be in purgatory until January at least. In the article they question his attitude, well I’m not being funny but I think I might be a little miffed if I had just done really well in the Bundesliga, got plenty of goals and assists in a short space of time, come home full of confidence and then over the Summer my Club buys two players to effectively take my place. Either you want the kid then give him a chance or just let him go, either sell him or loan him out again! Our Clubs really don’t know how to handle our young talent and it’s no surprise more and more are going abroad.

24. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Goalkeepers: Angus Gunn (Southampton), Dean Henderson (Sheffield United, on loan from Manchester United), Freddie Woodman (Newcastle United)

Defenders: Ben Chilwell (Leicester City), Jake Clarke-Salter (Vitesse Arnhem, on loan from Chelsea), Dael Fry (Middlesbrough), Jonjoe Kenny (Everton), Ezri Konsa (Brentford), Fikayo Tomori (Derby County, on loan from Chelsea), Aaron Wan-Bissaka (Crystal Palace), Kyle Walker-Peters (Tottenham Hotspur)

Midfielders: Lewis Cook (AFC Bournemouth), Tom Davies (Everton), Kieran Dowell (Everton), Mason Mount (Derby County, on loan from Chelsea), Josh Onomah (Tottenham Hotspur), Ryan Sessegnon (Fulham)

Forwards: Tammy Abraham (Chelsea), Dominic Calvert-Lewin (Everton), Demarai Gray (Leicester City), Ademola Lookman (Everton), James Maddison (Leicester City), Dominic Solanke (Liverpool).

The Potter, W.A.S.P. and Garibaldi11 repped this.
  25. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Thats a very strong squad even without the likes of Foden, Sancho and CHO who u would think would be with the U19’s. :eek: